Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the JIS screwdrivers (makes all the difference in the world) ... finally went and got the old grips off. Got the cables into the new grips. Got the left grip glued on. Got the pin in the front of the right side aligned and .... it seems like the housing will not fit over the metal spacer installed as part of Rays mod. I even went so far as to pull everything apart and try fitting the housings over the grip off the bar and no go. Its not the pin. Any tips or tricks? I have done a grip replacement on lots of other bikes. First one with a mod like this but it seems fairly obvious ...

Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
So I got the JIS screwdrivers (makes all the difference in the world) ... finally went and got the old grips off. Got the cables into the new grips. Got the left grip glued on. Got the pin in the front of the right side aligned and .... it seems like the housing will not fit over the metal spacer installed as part of Rays mod. I even went so far as to pull everything apart and try fitting the housings over the grip off the bar and no go. Its not the pin. Any tips or tricks? I have done a grip replacement on lots of other bikes. First one with a mod like this but it seems fairly obvious ...

Thanks
I can't help you but I would call Ray if I were you. From what I hear he gives excellent customer service and would probably talk you through it.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe Ray is on vacation. I did leave a msg and the outgoing msg didn't say anything about him being out but I haven't heard from him. I do however think I figured it out. I think the "spacer" - the machined metal ring is supposed to be on the cam along where the cables clip into the grip. Mine was in the space between the cam and the end of the grip. I am going to disassemble it tonight and put the "spacer" where I think it is supposed to be. My only concern is if it slipped off in shipping, how easy will it be for it to slip off once installed? Or maybe I am wrong. We shall see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes sir

You are right about that. All taken care of.
Thanks Ray
I have met him in person. He has forgot more about motorcycles then I will ever know. He is pretty sharp !

·
Banned
74 Posts
What kind of grips? Also make sure the pin on the rear housing is in the hole on the handle bar. Some people on the forum if you search have had to remove grips and sand them slightly. I had this problem when I installed my Avon grips but for me I didn't have the pin in the hole properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts