Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I had to remove, clean and reinstall the carbs on my V 500, and experienced a head-scratching problem when I tried to reconnect the throttle grip ends of the throttle cables after I put the carbs back on: the switch housing won't close without seriously binding the throttle grip to the point where it simply doesn't work. It wasn't like that before I opened the housing and disconnected the throttle cables; the throttle grip worked perfectly.

I know I have the cables in the right holes in the grip because I can operate the throttle with only the accelerator cable connected to the grip and the switch housing separated into its two halves for ease of testing the throttle. But once I connect the decelerator cable and try to close the housing, it binds the grip.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Do any of you have experience with this, or can you tell me the proper way to reassemble the switch housing and cables? The service manual is silent on this.

In case you're wondering, I disconnected the throttle cables on the handlebar because it was the only way I could reconnect the accelerator cable to the carburetors; I needed the extra slack to get that blasted cable back into place. I couldn't believe how difficult that was. If you have any tips on how I can do that in the future without disconnecting the cables at the handlebar, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm certain I didn't reverse them. With only the accelerator cable installed, the housing closes and secures to the handlebar as it should, and the throttle works properly. Once I install the decel cable, the problem occurs.
It's all a moot point now. I had the bike serviced at the dealership from which I bought it (my local Triumph dealership), and the technician solved the problem, but not without some difficulty, according to him. His explanation wasn't clear, and I still don't know how to reinstall both cables correctly. However, they're in place now, and that's what counts. Next time I have a reason to disconnect them, I'll pay closer attention to how the decel cable is installed.

I appreciate your reply. Thank you.
If you know how these cables are supposed to fit into place, please let me know. It seems like it should be simple enough to do. Yet I wasn't able to. It's maddening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By fit into place I mean the cables slot into their respective places on the nylon piece at the throttle grip interior end (nearest the bike centerline), and the forward half of the switch housing pin slots into the hole on the handle bar.
In this configuration, the only thing left to do is attach the other half of the switch housing to capture the throttle grip end and position the wiring that extends from the bottom of the housing. Theoretically, with the cables in place and the wires properly positioned to mate with the holes in the switch housing, all I need to do is screw the housing halves together and secure the cable plate screw on the bottom of the housing.
The trouble is that with the the cables positioned in their slots at the nylon end of the throttle grip, the grip is clamped and won't move as soon as I attempt to secure the rear half of the switch housing to the front half. I never figured out how to solve that. Perhaps the decel cable didn't find it's slot in its half of the switch housing. I noticed there's a slot for each cable in its respective half of the switch housing, and it seems the accelerator cable easily finds that slot when I feed the cable end through the bottom of that half of the housing. I can't tell if the decel cable finds its slot. At any rate, I was never able to bring the two housing halves together without severely binding the throttle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts