Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: total newbie here. Ignorance abounds. Bear with me.

Just got a 2004 Vulcan 2000 and have been trying to adjust the throttle free play. Problem is, it's not adjusting the way the owner's manual suggests it should (or at least not the way my interpretation of the owner's manual suggests). The following describes the manual's steps as I understand them:

1) Loosen the locknuts on both cables
2) Screw both adjusting nuts in all the way, in the direction AWAY from the bike (which, as I understand it, LOOSENS the cables)
3) Turn the decelerator cable's adjusting nut (the cable on the BOTTOM) in the direction towards the bike (which, as I understand it, TIGHTENS the cables), until the throttle free play is gone
4) Turn the accelerator cable's adjusting nut (the cable on the TOP) in the direction towards the bike, until 2-3mm of free play is achieved

The problem I'm having occurs at step #4. Step #3 eliminates the free play as described, but step #4 never actually results in any free play being achieved. Instead, step #4 just causes the throttle to "stick" such that it won't return to a closed position on its own; wherever I turn the throttle, it stays there unless I turn it back.

Some knowledge on the problem here (most likely me, I expect) would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Are you trying to get more or less freeplay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m trying to lessen the free play since the guy I got the bike from had it setup with excessive free play (for me).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m having the same issue. I was going to lube all the cable to see if the throttle will return on its own. I wonder if these cables are known to stretch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too had problems with the manual as far as adjusting freeplay on the throttle.... I searched the web and found that you need to back out both cables equally a turn at a time until you get your desired freeplay. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts