Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the stock grips with ISO grips. I got the Universal ISO grips because I was impatient and that is what the dealer had in stock at the time. So, I had to use the stock throttle sleeve. Not a problem. I had to sand/grind down the ridges so that it would slip into the ISO grip. It all went together just fine. The problem is that I have too much slop in the throttle. I followed the service manual and adjusted the cables but I screwed out the Decel cable adjuster as far as it would go and still have a couple threads engagement. The manual says there is no adjustment on the other end. I have about 1/4 inch of play, maybe more, and it seems like too much. Any suggestions/ comments appreciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Both the throttle and return have the same length cable.
May sound stupid. But did you take a peek underneath your tank behind
the air housing to make sure that the throttle ( carb side ) cable did not slip out
of the socket on the throttle assembly ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, no, I didn't look at the other end of the cables because there is supposedly no adjustment there. I have no problem riding the bike, I just want less play in the throttle. I guess it just hasn't pissed me off enough yet to get me to sit on the floor and start taking off parts. This will probably be my next weekend project, that is, if its too cold to ride! Yeah, its been colder than usual here in Houston and I can finally sympathize with you folks whose bikes are hibernating until the spring thaw. This morning it was 21 degrees at 7:30 am. That is just plain out of character for a Houston winter! And certainly too cold for my old bones!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Followup

So, a friend helped me understand that the cables are connected at both ends. Pull the throttle end of Accel cable and it pulls the opposite end of the Decel cable. And vice versa. Duh. Since they are connected in a closed circuit all I had to do was move the Decel in and it pulled the Accel out to take up the slack. Now they are both at about the middle of their adjustment strokes and I'm happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts