Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some popping on deceleration so I installed the Thunder gasket between the intake manifold and the throttle bodies. It didn't stop 100% of the popping but it is better for sure. One thing I did notice is that it runs better especially at slower speeds. Not as jerky, I guess it always had a slight surge at slower speeds. One thing I didn't do when I installed the gasket is use any high temp silicone on both sides of the gasket. Didn't think that was necessary but maybe it was. My Power Pro should be here on Tuesday so I'm hoping it will take care of the rest of popping. Ride safe this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The type of paper that is used does not have a "sealant" in it's composition, I call it a "dry" gasket. Using some type of sealant guarantees a complete seal.

Your performance results indicate that ur skoot did in fact have some percentage of vacuum leak between the t/b and manifold which had a negative affect on performance. Glad to hear it's runnin better.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Ray I would assume you should use a silicone sealer that stays pliable not one that turns hard on this gasket?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Hey Ray I would assume you should use a silicone sealer that stays pliable not one that turns hard on this gasket?
ANY type of heat resistant sealant will suffice, does not have to be silicone based.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
213 Posts
How big of a job is it to install a gasket?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not big Boscoe. I did it twice, first time w/o the silicone. You just take off the right side air box, put a 2x4 or 2x6 under the back of the tank to buy yourself some room. Take off the 6 allen bolts around the throttle body holes and the two 10mm bolts at the bottom of the throttle body cover. Unplug the black hose at the 11:00 position on the back of the cover and unplug the temp sensor at the 12:00 position. Pull that cover off put it to the side. Next there are 3 allen bolts that hold the throttle body onto the intake manifold remove them, the throttle body will come out about 2-3 inches. Make sure the O rings are in place, put some high temp silicone on the front and back of the gasket, place it on the back side of the throttle body, There is a little hole at the 12:00 position of the gasket, it goes over a little post on the back of the throttle body. Then just put it back together. I found it better to put the black hose on before the temp sensor and I put medium locktite on the 6 allen bolts as there was locktite on them to start with. Good luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks! That doesn't sound too painful!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not big Boscoe. I did it twice, first time w/o the silicone. You just take off the right side air box, put a 2x4 or 2x6 under the back of the tank to buy yourself some room. Take off the 6 allen bolts around the throttle body holes and the two 10mm bolts at the bottom of the throttle body cover. Unplug the black hose at the 11:00 position on the back of the cover and unplug the temp sensor at the 12:00 position. Pull that cover off put it to the side. Next there are 3 allen bolts that hold the throttle body onto the intake manifold remove them, the throttle body will come out about 2-3 inches. Make sure the O rings are in place, put some high temp silicone on the front and back of the gasket, place it on the back side of the throttle body, There is a little hole at the 12:00 position of the gasket, it goes over a little post on the back of the throttle body. Then just put it back together. I found it better to put the black hose on before the temp sensor and I put medium locktite on the 6 allen bolts as there was locktite on them to start with. Good luck.
When you did it the second time , did the gasket come right off to apply the sealent? or was it stuck on there? My gasket has been on for a year.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you did it the second time , did the gasket come right off to apply the sealent? or was it stuck on there? My gasket has been on for a year.
Mine came right off but it was only on there for about 4 days and about 500 miles. I have a feeling it will come right off if you give it a try as it's not paper thin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Removed gasket

After about 10,000 miles of running with the gasket, I took it out. It runs much better with it out. Not sure if gasket was drying up or what. (bolts were tight). I could see that the o rings were in the proper places to. Also running 87 octane has made for a much smoother ride at town speeds. Rode a 2011 Road King for 50 miles while my friend rode mine. I warned him that it`s a little jerky in town. Told him to use 3rd gear in 25mph zones and 4th in 30 mph zones. Turns out, his Road King is more quirky jerky then mine, He agreed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Kurt, when you took out the gasket was it stuck there? or did it come right out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts