Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
had bike serviced by opposition dealership (aka local Yamaha).
Wasn't happy, he didn't even do the unilink, didn't even spot the missing grease nipple.

Oh well............

Anyway, in a nutshell, can anyone give me a quick down and dirty on how to adjust my throttle. I now have more than the manual recommended limit o0f freeplay. Yes, I have the service manual, yes I have read it, but the expert minds on this forum always do it better and quicker.

Ta,

Steve

·
Registered
217 Posts
Background:
had bike serviced by opposition dealership (aka local Yamaha).
Wasn't happy, he didn't even do the unilink, didn't even spot the missing grease nipple.

Oh well............

Anyway, in a nutshell, can anyone give me a quick down and dirty on how to adjust my throttle. I now have more than the manual recommended limit o0f freeplay. Yes, I have the service manual, yes I have read it, but the expert minds on this forum always do it better and quicker.

Ta,

Steve
Steve here's what works fo me. Front wheel straight. Loosen both cables for max play. First tighten the deceleration "lower cable" cable so there is no play. Reach behind the air filter and hold the throttle plate closed. When done tighten the lock nut. Next just begin to tighten the acceleration "upper cable" where you feel the throttle handle feels slightly loose. Move steering to right then left. Remember no slack will cause idle speed to be rise when you turn. Bottom line set the deceleration cable first and lock it down. Tweak the acceleration cable where your free play comfort zone is. This is works on my Vulcan.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stupid question. Do you do this with the bike running or off? I have read how to adjust the cables and understand it but nothing has ever said to have the bike running or not.

thanks Bill

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's adjusted with the engine off. There's no need for it to be running for this adjustment.

In fact, if you're gonna be sticking your hand around the back of the air cleaner, you'll want the engine to be cool as well!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. All good,adjusted fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Stupid question. Do you do this with the bike running or off? I have read how to adjust the cables and understand it but nothing has ever said to have the bike running or not.

thanks Bill
Hi Bill.
I make the adjustment with engine off, then start engine sitting on the bike stationary turns bars right and then left. Listen if Idle rises during this movement, if so slacken the accelerator cable up top "only" till it doesn't. Your done.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Steve here's what works fo me. Front wheel straight. Loosen both cables for max play. First tighten the deceleration "lower cable" cable so there is no play. Reach behind the air filter and hold the throttle plate closed. When done tighten the lock nut. Next just begin to tighten the acceleration "upper cable" where you feel the throttle handle feels slightly loose. Move steering to right then left. Remember no slack will cause idle speed to be rise when you turn. Bottom line set the deceleration cable first and lock it down. Tweak the acceleration cable where your free play comfort zone is. This is works on my Vulcan.
Never heard about to hold the throttle plate closed ..... but you always learn !
This place is amazing with all the info and tips !! Thanks guys !!!!

Cheers from downunder

·
Registered
217 Posts
Never heard about to hold the throttle plate closed ..... but you always learn !
This place is amazing with all the info and tips !! Thanks guys !!!!

Cheers from downunder
I have learned as an auto mechanic not to assume the throttle is closed. This is why I suggest you loosen the cables then either snap the throttle or apply some pressure to make sure it is fully closed before making the deceleration cable adjustment. After making this adjustment adjust the acceleration cable where you like your free play in the handle to be, as long as the throttle doesn't raise when you turn the steering. It may take a little experimenting, a little extra slack is better than to little. She might tell you the same thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
tag for reference

Thanks for the tips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts