Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
162 Posts
Does it have a stock airbox and filter?
They don't like running in the 'open

You checked for vacuum leaks right..sloppy shaft..the usual.
Your base idle should have been where the butterfly was just starting to uncover the first transition hole...if it has to be closed more then its usually sucking air...and its made up by turning out the mix.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Does it have a stock airbox and filter?
They don't like running in the 'open

You checked for vacuum leaks right..sloppy shaft..the usual.
Your base idle should have been where the butterfly was just starting to uncover the first transition hole...if it has to be closed more then its usually sucking air...and its made up by turning out the mix.

Has a kuryakyn hypercharger intake and vance and hines longshots for an exhaust. No vac leaks that I can tell. It will sit and idle no issues not even any popping or anything. But the slightest touch of the throttle and it will die. If I get on the gas quick I can jump past that spot and revs fine. I let the bike cool down for a while and put the tank on. Went to fire it back up and started without any issue. Even without the enrichment knob pulled but the knob does help it warm quicker. At this time ill see if it will sell as it is. Really don't want to tear it down again but if I don't get any bites I may end up bring the carb to someone. Im sure im missing something. And possibly start the jetting from scratch as well. Ive read the adjustable needles can be a pain to get tuned right and a stock shimmed needle is usually plenty sufficient. Just not sure who installed the jetkit and can be hard working off something someone else has touched already. Bike looks really nice though after a quick detail. Shame its this close to being ready to roll.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bike does look good.

I'm going to attempt to take it for a short ride tomorrow. Maybe a mile up the road to a nearby gas station to fill the tank and put a little air in the tires. I should be fine as long as I stay a little aggressive on the throttle leaving from a stop. Once moving it seems okay. Figure may as well use the ride as a test to see how things are at all throttle positions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I did get to take the bike out for a ride today. Fired right up and idles no issue. Will idle as long as you want it to with nothing sounding out of the ordinary. Of course upon trying to take off it once again wants to stumble and die out but easy enough to feather the throttle and bring the rpms up enough to take off. Once moving the bike feels great. Doesnt seem to have any issue pulling in the upper rpms. Only would give issue if I slowed to much and lugged it in the wrong gear. Put a few gallons of gas in and a few ounces of seafoam. Its certainly rideable as is but not ideal having to play with the throttle every take off. It did die a few times but always fires right back up.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
162 Posts
So I did get to take the bike out for a ride today. Fired right up and idles no issue. Will idle as long as you want it to with nothing sounding out of the ordinary. Of course upon trying to take off it once again wants to stumble and die out but easy enough to feather the throttle and bring the rpms up enough to take off. Once moving the bike feels great. Doesnt seem to have any issue pulling in the upper rpms. Only would give issue if I slowed to much and lugged it in the wrong gear. Put a few gallons of gas in and a few ounces of seafoam. Its certainly rideable as is but not ideal having to play with the throttle every take off. It did die a few times but always fires right back up.
I am starting to wonder if that 45 pilot jet is aftermarket and wasn't sized properly when it left the factory.
Harbor freight sells micro bit kits for seven dollars..there is a .45 mm drill bit in the set.
I bought a set because I have a bike that uses a 35 pilot jet..and the bit set has a.35 mm in it..sure enough one of the carb pilot jets had hardened crunge in it..that the cleaner would not get...torch tip pokers aren't small enough for a 35...so it was the only option.
Went for a cruise today..about 70 degrees and it still took a good engine warming to have a perfect 'just' off idle transition..so stock fully clean..I am about 17 to 1 air fuel ratio just cracked at the throttle..I am a perfect candidate to go up a size..I just don't like to order anything online..I may have to though

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am starting to wonder if that 45 pilot jet is aftermarket and wasn't sized properly when it left the factory.
Harbor freight sells micro bit kits for seven dollars..there is a .45 mm drill bit in the set.
I bought a set because I have a bike that uses a 35 pilot jet..and the bit set has a.35 mm in it..sure enough one of the carb pilot jets had hardened crunge in it..that the cleaner would not get...torch tip pokers aren't small enough for a 35...so it was the only option.
Went for a cruise today..about 70 degrees and it still took a good engine warming to have a perfect 'just' off idle transition..so stock fully clean..I am about 17 to 1 air fuel ratio just cracked at the throttle..I am a perfect candidate to go up a size..I just don't like to order anything online..I may have to though

From what I remember when it was last apart the pilot didn't look like the dynojet jets. I believe the instructions mentioned using the supplied 48 pilot if needed based on modifications. So that leads me to believe the 45 in the carb now is stock. But id have trouble believing that pilot jet would be the issue as I was told the bike ran properly prior to storage with all the exact same settings. I can try the 48 pilot I have and turn the pilot in a bit to around 2.5 turns and see if that makes any difference. Ive had a few bites on my sales ad but nothing serious yet. Ill probably give it a short while up for sale before taking it apart again.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
162 Posts
From what I remember when it was last apart the pilot didn't look like the dynojet jets. I believe the instructions mentioned using the supplied 48 pilot if needed based on modifications. So that leads me to believe the 45 in the carb now is stock. But id have trouble believing that pilot jet would be the issue as I was told the bike ran properly prior to storage with all the exact same settings. I can try the 48 pilot I have and turn the pilot in a bit to around 2.5 turns and see if that makes any difference. Ive had a few bites on my sales ad but nothing serious yet. Ill probably give it a short while up for sale before taking it apart again.
The sea foam may clean er up a little too..
I mentioned the 48 as we know the orifice is spotless as its unused...Gas today can wreck havoc on some carb parts.
I think the chevron fuel is supposed to have to have a good dose of cleaning agents in it..If you have chevron fuel there.. might get lucky

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, so ive made a couple posts since picking this bike up. Its a 2001 1500 classic carb model. Had been sitting for about 2 years and didn't run. 45k miles on the clock but in excellent overall shape. When the owner initially told me all it needed was a battery to run I knew that wouldn't be the case. Hooked up a battery and attempted tonstart and all it did was pour fuel from a vent line that runs unto the back of the intake.

I pulled the tank and carb and went through it. Nothing looked bad inside and I feel like I did a decent job. Installed a new fuel filter, changed the oil and new battery. Hooked up a small auxilary tank so I could run the bike and be able to look for leaks without having the main tank on. It fired up and once again poured fuel from that vent hose. After idling for about a minute fuel stopped comming from that hose. If I don't touch the throttle it will idle and sounds good. Apply throttle and wants to fall on it face and die. If I feather it a little I can get it to rev up and seems to rev pretty clean. Let it back to idle and once again wants to die out with just a little throttle applied.

Bike has vance and hines longshots, kuryakyn hypercharger, carb has been jetted with a dynojet kit. I had received the packaging with extra jets. I didnt make any changes to the carb itself as I was told it ran well prior to sitting so didn't want to throw anything off blindly swapping jets or making adjustments. Im not a fan of carbs so this drives me nuts seeing as ill probably have to take it apart again. Any initial impressions or thoughts?
Could be a long shot but I had a mouse living in my air filter. Take cover off and see if there is a nest in there!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only one reason it would leak gas at all from the carb the needle valve. East to replace and they get a little crease in the side of them from setting sideways and being in fuel. Anyway I would %100 change that. And set the float where it’s just level when the needle valve closes/makes contact YOur idle to rev issues are more than likely an air leak. My 1500 literally take 20 minutes of 55 down the highway to become warm enough to not use my throttle aggressively. Seems unreal to me. Mine hickups and hisses from time to time off I’m not intent on taking off on it. It doesn’t like to set in neutral and rev much. Maybe there’s a grimmlin stuck in it :/

·
Registered
17 Posts
And set the float where it’s just level when the needle valve closes/makes contact YOur idle to rev issues are more than likely an air leak.
Great advice. One thing, no reaso to think the float level needs to be set right? I mean... unless it gets bent or something?
And just in case it has not been mentioned... spray some starter fluid around the carb and any vacuum lines. If motor revs up... there is a leak.
Do let us know when you get to your final tweak*****.

Would any others agree with me that if for some reason a bike has the wrong jets it might cause ia rich mixture or maybe lean mixture if straight pipes and free flow intake added, but.... slightly wrong jets would not cause reving up and slowing down.

I personally tried cleaning jets but, noting worked til I got a rebuild kit from all balls or somewhere. Then, things were great. Those tiny little pinholes do clog. Before it was done, I felt very qualified to remove dual kehin 32mm on each of the EN500's I owned. They each feed a 250 cc cylinder thus need tiny teeny fuel and air passages and they work GREAT till those nearly microscopic passages clog with ethanol fuel sitting in them for too long.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well the bike sold today. I still took it for a few rides and once past that stumble it rode perfectly. Probably a very simple fix but I have another bike and zero room in the garage right now so made sense to let it go. Next time around ill aim for an fi model as ive had a few in the past. Really miss my 2003 meanstreak. Anyway appreciate all the comments. This thread can be deleted if need be.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts