Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, so im looking at purchasing a 2001 vulcan 1500 classic. Bike has been sitting unused since end of summer 2019. In relatively nice shape aside from being very dusty. Has 43k miles and youd never guess that based on the condition. Someone is actually selling it for the actual owner so this person doesn't know much about the bike. I put a battery in it and some fresh fuel and attempted to fire it up. Quickly noticed a pool of fuel on the ground and wasn't immediatly sure where it was comming from. It did briefly fire up but stalled out. And then wouldnt start again and just kept pouring fuel while attempting to start.

It has a kuryakyn hypercharger and when I pulled the outer cover off to reveal the filter and carb Inlet is when I noticed the fuel is pouring out a vent hose connected to the backplate of the intake. I drained the carb bowl and clean fuel appears to be comming out. I know that doesn't indicate a clean carb. Some searching mentioned stuck carb or just dirty carb in general. Ive never pulled a carb from a vulcan 1500. Had a meanstreak some years back which was of course fuel injected.

I'm no stranger to turning a wrench but figured id get some Input before possibly buying the bike. It also has a set of vance and hines Longshots but appears that and the intake are the only mechanical modifications. Unsure of jetting. Apparantly the owner is under the impression its 100% ready to go but clearly it isn't. Is this most likely a simple issue of just having to clean the carb? Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Need to take the carb apart, float needle is probably gummed up, orings and seals are probably dry....
Might need to order a carb kit....I would....
Next time, either use some stabil fuel stabilizer or some seafoam....

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Hi eskimo619. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy you have become a member. Be well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need to take the carb apart, float needle is probably gummed up, orings and seals are probably dry....
Might need to order a carb kit....I would....
Next time, either use some stabil fuel stabilizer or some seafoam....
I always use stabilizer when storing my bikes. Unfortunatly not all the bikes I purchase are treated the same way like this vulcan. Its in great shape and stored indoors, but the owner im sure didn't use anything when he put it away. Luckily inside the tank is spotless and it was left with very little fuel in the tank. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a potentially bigger issue. I know its possible some fuel leaked into the cylinders and into the bottom end but id be changing oil anyway. Have to see where the seller is at on price now that he knows its not ready to ride like he thought. Of course I wasn't told the last time it was ran was 2019 until I got there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi eskimo619. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy you have become a member. Be well.
Appreciate the warm welcome. Hopefully I end up purchasing this bike as I love the vulcans. Will see if a deal can be made.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,970 Posts
one biker yrs ago scared me off Stabil fuel stabilizer saying the Stabil turned his gas into jello and gummed up his carb jets, after hearing that I switched to using seafoam, and also when storage time comes around I will also drain the carb bowl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one biker yrs ago scared me off Stabil fuel stabilizer saying the Stabil turned his gas into jello and gummed up his carb jets, after hearing that I switched to using seafoam, and also when storage time comes around I will also drain the carb bowl
My go to is seafoam as well. Ive never really bothered with the red stabilizer. Ive been told the marine stabilizer is a better product that doesn't gel up but havnt used it before. Always a bummer when someone lets a bike sit and then claims its good to go and never is. I was told just needs a battery and ready to ride. Instead bike doesn't run and pours fuel lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I picked up the bike yesterday. Worked with the seller and was able to get it for $1500. Didnt even realize the seller is the original owner until insaw the title with 3 miles on it. Always nice to know it didn't change hands a number of times. Gave it a quick clean up to see what im working with. Next up is to pull the tank and get the carb off. Not sure what ill have to replace once inside. Assuming parts related to the needle due to the fuel flooding out the vent line when trying to start it. Safe to say its been jetted to match the pipes and intake as I received whats left of a dyno jet kit along with the bike. Right off the bat would anyone have any suggestions for parts I should absolutely replace in the carb?

Also I found that when I turn/pull on the knob for the petcock fuel leaks out. Its fine when its not pulled on. I think there's a gasket that can be replaced on that faceplate of the petcock? Maybe the oring circled in the picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts