Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just recently picked up my 2001 1500 classic carb model. Had sat for a few years and doesn't run. Pulled the tank, hypercharger and carb today. Got the carb cleaned out as best I could, didn't actually look that bad. Was spitting fuel out the intake vent line attached to the back plate of the hypecharger while trying to start. Anyway got it all back together aside from the tank as im waiting for a new fuel filter to arrive. All the smog parts are still in place but I noticed the smog line that would normally go to the crossover tube on the stock intake has been plugged.

Everything else looks right as far as I can tell. If I'm not eliminating the smog which for now im leaving It alone since the bike is for resale anyway, is it fine that line is just capped off? Wouldnt have anywhere else to go anyway. Does that line being capped off affect how the smog parts operate? Maybe it should have some kind of small filter stuffed on the end? Was told bike was a good runner prior to sitting back in 2019. One owner bike prior to me purchasing it and in excellent shape aside from sitting.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,970 Posts
i will take a stab at the smog line to the crossover tube plugged off, I think that is a Government EPA thing that smog tube on a motorcycle, it's a very strict regulation for bikes especially in California, but to my understanding, what it does is its suppose to allow the recycling of crankcase blowby mist (fuel & oil mist from the crankcase) to be recycled back into the airbox intake, and back into the carb throat and into the cylinders for re-combustion, so what guys do is they just block that whole EPA system setup completely off (or remove it all completely, even the charcoal canister) and rather than sent that crankcase mist back into the airbox cleaner, the mist hose is redirected and routed to exit below the bike to the outside air (ground level), many figure that there's already so much oil on the roads now anyways that a little more from a motorcycle isn't going to change things. but doing this could (in some places where the EPA Law is strict) prevent the bike from being stickered for road safety, some places have that sticker requirement done by an authorized mechanic once a year, (its the mechanic who is required by Law in some places to safety sticker a motorcycle for the road), so all that is needed really for the carb and the airbox is this: (carb needs fuel line, bowl air vent line, and vacuum line going directly to the petcock with nothing else connected on that tube) that's it, all else can be discarded, (airbox needs filter, that's it, all else can be discarded), but doing things like this may or may not be breaking the Law in your area. because EPA Laws in some States are strict (if you get caught)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will take a stab at the smog line to the crossover tube plugged off, I think that is a Government EPA thing that smog tube on a motorcycle, it's a very strict regulation for bikes especially in California, but to my understanding, what it does is its suppose to allow the recycling of crankcase blowby mist (fuel & oil mist from the crankcase) to be recycled back into the airbox intake, and back into the carb throat and into the cylinders for re-combustion, so what guys do is they just block that whole EPA system setup completely off (or remove it all completely, even the charcoal canister) and rather than sent that crankcase mist back into the airbox cleaner, the mist hose is redirected and routed to exit below the bike to the outside air (ground level), many figure that there's already so much oil on the roads now anyways that a little more from a motorcycle isn't going to change things. but doing this could (in some places where the EPA Law is strict) prevent the bike from being stickered for road safety, some places have that sticker requirement done by an authorized mechanic once a year, (its the mechanic who is required by Law in some places to safety sticker a motorcycle for the road), so all that is needed really for the carb and the airbox is this: (carb needs fuel line, bowl air vent line, and vacuum line going directly to the petcock with nothing else connected on that tube) that's it, all else can be discarded, (airbox needs filter, that's it, all else can be discarded), but doing things like this may or may not be breaking the Law in your area. because EPA Laws in some States are strict (if you get caught)
I should have been more specific in that im aware of what the smog system does. Most of my bikes I remove the whole system and have never had an issue with inspections. In this particular situation im wanting to know if the line that originally went to the cross over tube is okay to be capped off like it is since the hypercharger doesn't utilize any of the original intake components and this line has nothing to connect to. It would normally draw in air from the crossover into the head and out the exhaust. But being capped off it no longer can take in any air. It was like that when I got the bike and was told it ran well prior to sitting. Ive cleaned the carb and re-installed everything as it was l

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,970 Posts
bikes that have a crossover tube between the heads also have a reed valve, its suppose to allow fresh oxygen air into the exhaust pipe to combust any unburnt fuel mixture, that function is what causes the popping noise from the pipes, unburnt air/fuel is combusting inside the header pipe, many just remove those reed valves and either plug off those 2 nipples on both heads or else just install a 1 piece rad hose to join both nipples, it means you can leave that crossover tube plugged off or else remove it and just cap off both cylinder head nipples, it doesn't matter if your bike still has both exhaust reed value installed, some remove them reed valves complete and buy metal plates with some high temp silicone to cover the hole up

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bikes that have a crossover tube between the heads also have a reed valve, its suppose to allow fresh oxygen air into the exhaust pipe to combust any unburnt fuel mixture, that function is what causes the popping noise from the pipes, unburnt air/fuel is combusting inside the header pipe, many just remove those reed valves and either plug off those 2 nipples on both heads or else just install a 1 piece rad hose to join both nipples, it means you can leave that crossover tube plugged off or else remove it and just cap off both cylinder head nipples, it doesn't matter if your bike still has both exhaust reed value installed, some remove them reed valves complete and buy metal plates with some high temp silicone to cover the hole up
Im not trying to sound rude so please understand, im fully aware of how the smog/Reed valve system works. As mentioned previously ive removed this system from many bikes in the past. Usually ive done it on inline 4 cylinder bikes where the reed valves are right next to each other making the delete extremely simple. This is a first for me having a carb model vulcan and having the reed valves far apart on each of the cylinders. Im basically asking if capping that crossover line is the same as deleting the smog which it appears is basically what its doing except not actually removing the system and getting the caps for the heads. Im sure im good to go with everything how it sits. Of course I tried to find the instructions on the kuryakyn site and they no longer provide that info nor sell the hypercharger for this model anymore on their site. Ill he testing the bike with a small auxilary tank so I can run it without having to install the tank and can make sure everything looks good. If I was keeping the bike id do some extra work to clean things up and delete completely but I bought the bike for a quick flip so just covering my bases.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Im basically asking if capping that crossover line is the same as deleting the smog
Yes. One of the early ways of defeating the passive exhaust 'air injection' is to simply stick a marble in that hose. You probably know this but blocking that hose or removing any of the other bits of the system doesn't actually accomplish anything in terms of power, gas mileage or anything else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. One of the early ways of defeating the passive exhaust 'air injection' is to simply stick a marble in that hose. You probably know this but blocking that hose or removing any of the other bits of the system doesn't actually accomplish anything in terms of power, gas mileage or anything else.
Yeah it just cleans things up and frees up space which isn't a bad thing. I dont think things are too messy under the tank anyway. Just wanted to be sure capping that line was correct with having the hypercharger. Everything else looks right from what I can tell. Funny how I've read forum posts people claiming things like an exhaust and intake wont have any effect until removing the smog. Its like yeah thats not how it works lol. Just stops the popping on decel. Ive only ever done it to clean up valve covers. Thought about getting the plates and just removing it all but doesn't hurt leaving it. Got the bike for a great deal and hoping it fires right up when the new battery and fuel filter arrive. Then its up for sale. Heres a picture since pictures make everything better haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts