Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your guys thoughts on the upcoming HD Streetfighter and 1250 Custom? They are liquid cooled (which is a great step forward for Hd) and apparently the new motor is modular so the 975cc on the Streetfighter I would think would be upgradeable to a 1250

Personally I think they both look amazing, the Livewire looks neat, and the adventure bike isn’t really
My cup of tea BUT I appreciate Harley making it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm glad they are trying new things and the bikes all look interesting.

My initial reaction was that they all looked like they had high center of gravities. Maybe they don't but they looked like they engine was mounted up high. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
The pics I've seen so far look super fantastical to me.Now if they'd just put reasonable price tags on anything they make,but we all know that'll never happen

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think they have to try new things or the brand will die as each owner dies. Harley needs to attract new owners. I also would consider buying one depending on the price, I'm riding a Vulcan because I refuse to pay the Harley tax.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pics I've seen so far look super fantastical to me.Now if they'd just put reasonable price tags on anything they make,but we all know that'll never happen

It actually very well might, with trying to bring in a younger fan base they have to realize they need to be reasonable on price

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they have to try new things or the brand will die as each owner dies. Harley needs to attract new owners. I also would consider buying one depending on the price, I'm riding a Vulcan because I refuse to pay the Harley tax.

Well not only that but Trump is coming after Harley now as a result of his own actions, and what a croc of crap he’s saying he’s going to slam HD with taxes like they’ve never seen for building a EU factory to handle EU orders because of the tariff that the eu imposed on us because of trump.

This shows something very important, that being that our current POTUS will use his position to target specific companies for doing something he doesn’t like. Complete abuse of power. And he’ll probably get away with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did some test rides on Milwaukee 8 bikes (107 and 114). Leaning angle is still lousy, so the breakes. Vibrations got better: Now, my feets stay on the rests and I have a clear vision. I saw heavily corroded exhausts on some bikes. Some major European Bike magazines made the same observation. So I think, that the quality can be improved.
You must know I'm enigneer: Only technology is worth spending on. A Harley costs the same as a Ninja H2, Ducati V4 Panigale or the Worlds most powerful electric bike "Energica".
If I would put a deposit on a Motorcyle, then on one of those.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've never been a fan of Harley's. I ride my Vn750 because it can never be mistaken for a Harley.

Overall, Harley's problem isn't taxes. The company is spread way too thin. By that I mean they're trying to be all things to all people and have a zillion different types of bikes. They cannot sustain this too-wide variety without causing massive issues with their suppliers and the manufacturing lines. Its too complicated.

If Harley still exists 10 years from now I'll bet they significantly cut down on the types of bikes they make. Look at Ford. They're about to stop making most of their types of cars for sale here in the US because its not financially worth making them.

As for all of these younger guys that love sports bikes, lets see what they want to ride 30 or 40 years from now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some test rides on Milwaukee 8 bikes (107 and 114). Leaning angle is still lousy, so the breakes. Vibrations got better: Now, my feets stay on the rests and I have a clear vision. I saw heavily corroded exhausts on some bikes. Some major European Bike magazines made the same observation. So I think, that the quality can be improved.
You must know I'm enigneer: Only technology is worth spending on. A Harley costs the same as a Ninja H2, Ducati V4 Panigale or the Worlds most powerful electric bike "Energica".
If I would put a deposit on a Motorcyle, then on one of those.

A Harley does not cost as much as a H2, that’s all model dependent. The new m8 engines are nice I was more speaking specifically of the new bikes, the electric, adventure, street fighter, and 1250 Custom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never been a fan of Harley's. I ride my Vn750 because it can never be mistaken for a Harley.

Overall, Harley's problem isn't taxes. The company is spread way too thin. By that I mean they're trying to be all things to all people and have a zillion different types of bikes. They cannot sustain this too-wide variety without causing massive issues with their suppliers and the manufacturing lines. Its too complicated.

If Harley still exists 10 years from now I'll bet they significantly cut down on the types of bikes they make. Look at Ford. They're about to stop making most of their types of cars for sale here in the US because its not financially worth making them.

As for all of these younger guys that love sports bikes, lets see what they want to ride 30 or 40 years from now.

I agree they do have to big of a variety and I’ve never been willing to buy a Harley until these new models got announced (so long as they are good).

I honestly do like the softtail slim and the Fat Bob, I think the Bob is absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A Harley does not cost as much as a H2, that’s all model dependent. The new m8 engines are nice I was more speaking specifically of the new bikes, the electric, adventure, street fighter, and 1250 Custom

You are right, not all Harleys are that expensive. Small displacement bikes are cheaper, but compared to others still too much.
However, those bikes are not considerd as "real Harleys". It's more a girl or boy bike. A real Harley must have 100cui or 1600ccm (or really old). Those are in the price range of highly sophisticated super sport bikes - with ancient technology. Since I'm a tech guy, that's a "no go" for me.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My 750 is early 80's technology, and overall visual design. As far as the technology side goes I find it works well enough for me.

I would prefer to have ABS but I can get along without it. You guys can keep fuel injection. Too many threads in here about "fuel pressure issues" or fuel pump problems or warning lights etc etc.

Fuel injection gives better gas mileage, yes, starts easier perhaps, yes, but I'll stick with my carbs for now.

As far as having GPS, I've wired it to accept that. There's not much more tech stuff to think about.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like VN750Guy** I've never been a fan of Harley's, more so an 80's metric cruiser fan. So I was disheartened when all of them started putting out Harley clones. :frown2: They finally came back to their senses a bit with the Vulcan S (picked one up back in January as I was looking for a new bike), so I like the change of direction Harley is going with these new bikes. I especially like the look of the Streetfighter, reminds me of a Ducati Diavel. But one thing that jumps out at me is the placement of that exhaust pipe coming off the back of engine, looks like it's right under and inside your leg which could pose a heat problem (guess they didn't learn much from the Street Rod and that foot pad on top of the exhaust). Ultimately though I think price will be the deciding factor on these new bikes, if they're not competitively priced (cheaper than what Harley's typically go for) they'll be DOA.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You are right, not all Harleys are that expensive. Small displacement bikes are cheaper, but compared to others still too much.

However, those bikes are not considerd as "real Harleys". It's more a girl or boy bike. A real Harley must have 100cui or 1600ccm (or really old). Those are in the price range of highly sophisticated super sport bikes - with ancient technology. Since I'm a tech guy, that's a "no go" for me.

No I hear you I worked computer repair for 6 years, as for the girl/boy bike thing that’s just dumb people there’s no such thing as a “girl” bike or a “boy” bike (I mean maybe if ones baby blue and the others pink idk lol)
The fact that the majority of there product line is STILL air cooled absolutely baffles me but that’s what the old Harley purists want so that’s what they get

I really sincerely hope the new bikes do a good job at bringing in a younger more progressive fan base. I feel kinda bad for them because Trumps sitting there yelling about how hard he’s going to tax them (which should be a blatant abuse of power to go after a company because you don’t agree with a decision) but the reason there opening a factory in the EU is directly his fault

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 750 is early 80's technology, and overall visual design. As far as the technology side goes I find it works well enough for me.

I would prefer to have ABS but I can get along without it. You guys can keep fuel injection. Too many threads in here about "fuel pressure issues" or fuel pump problems or warning lights etc etc.

Fuel injection gives better gas mileage, yes, starts easier perhaps, yes, but I'll stick with my carbs for now.

As far as having GPS, I've wired it to accept that. There's not much more tech stuff to think about.

I can’t decide if I like carb or not (my 500 has a carb), but it would be nice to have fuel injection for if it’s cold. That being said I live in Florida where it feels like Satan is using you as a scrub brush every day -_-

·
Registered
62 Posts
Even if I personally not a Harley fan, they did many things right.
They created a lifestyle including bikes, outfit, events,...
Many people just want to be part of that community.
As with other lifestyle products, price or quality doesn't matter.
Apple: Hipsters pay any price for Computers and Smartphones.
Fashion: Made in cheap Asian Countries, but with the right name on it any price is paid.
etc...
Every couple years, motorcyle industry tries to get a share of the Harley market.
No real success, no matter what quality or technology they offer.
At least in Europe, in 2018 all large displacement cruisers from other companies than Harley (and a few Indian) will disappear.
In general, large heavy bikes become diffcult to sell. Only the luxury Honda Goldwing and BMW K1600 seem to survive, but on a low level. No 1 selling bike in Europe is the BMW 1200GS. Two times more than No 2. So bikes seem to go into the same direction as cars: SUV's become top seller....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Potato-potato-potato...…. oh THAT SOUND seems to go deep into our collective chromosomes. If nothing else, Harley did inject that sound into the souls of millions of people over several generations.

Other manufacturers have copied the sound much to the happiness of even more millions of riders/generations.

Same with old school muscle cars. Lordy I LOVED the sound of high-lift, long duration rough idling big blocks. The advent of multiple valves per cylinder tended to get the desired effect from the motors but lost that intensely satisfying ground shaking grunt of 396/454 Rat motored Chevy's or 440/426 Mopars.

Things evolve, though. Today, while the actual output of power has increased from automobile engines, the cellular-level joy of "feeling and hearing" POWER at idle is gone. Its no surprise that motorcycles are also going through changes.

Be that as it may, if given the chance to take an old school big block Chevelle, Mustang (my favorite), Charger, GTO, etc, or a new school Charger or Camaro, I'll go old school every time as they just emotionally "feel" muscular, even though intellectually I know a new machine will win in almost any head-to-head comparison.

I also would prefer an older school Nomad over anything BMW (just to use as an example) produces. But...….. who am I to stand in the way of change?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Another thought comes to mind again. I must commend Harley on picking the size-range of new bikes (1000-ish to 1200-ish). I have long, long thought Kawasaki is making a mistake in not having a true mid-sized offering. The 900 is nice but something in the 1200/1300 size range would be something great to have as an option.

Perhaps a downsized Nomad in that size/weight would be a great seller and go far in keeping the aging rider population in the saddle for longer periods of time.

I'm about to turn 64. My Vn750 weighs in at 483 lbs butt naked but with the bags/engine guard/highway pegs/luggage rack/windshield etc on it she easily passes 520 lbs without my fat ass on it.

As much as I REALLY would like to have a Nomad, I just don't want the extra weight. BUT, I wouldn't be put-off by a 1200/1300 bagger weighing in around 600 lbs.

Kawasaki needs to concentrate on making a true, mid sized cruiser/light touring machine. Something that gets good gas mileage yet has enough oomph to go cross country two-up, comfortably.

AND you can get the potato-potato-potato going.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another thought comes to mind again. I must commend Harley on picking the size-range of new bikes (1000-ish to 1200-ish). I have long, long thought Kawasaki is making a mistake in not having a true mid-sized offering. The 900 is nice but something in the 1200/1300 size range would be something great to have as an option.

Perhaps a downsized Nomad in that size/weight would be a great seller and go far in keeping the aging rider population in the saddle for longer periods of time.

I'm about to turn 64. My Vn750 weighs in at 483 lbs butt naked but with the bags/engine guard/highway pegs/luggage rack/windshield etc on it she easily passes 520 lbs without my fat ass on it.

As much as I REALLY would like to have a Nomad, I just don't want the extra weight. BUT, I wouldn't be put-off by a 1200/1300 bagger weighing in around 600 lbs.

Kawasaki needs to concentrate on making a true, mid sized cruiser/light touring machine. Something that gets good gas mileage yet has enough oomph to go cross country two-up, comfortably.

AND you can get the potato-potato-potato going.

To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bike from anyone else that from factory sounds like a Harley, that is one thing HD definitely has going for it is they sound fantastic, especially with the right pipes

·
Registered
201 Posts
I enjoyed reading this old thread, because I have owned allot of bikes over the years - many of them, Harleys. A couple of thoughts:
The Sportster is not a "Chick Bike", but the updated version of what used to be one of the lightest, fastest Harleys on the market.
The " Harley Tax" referred to the extra money you had to spend to modify your Harley carburetor and exhaust,to undermine the government imposed emission restrictions on carbureted motorcycles.
Harley's new ownership of 12 investors, including Willey G. Davidson, got Ronald Reagan to support a tariff on Japanese motorcycles, over 900 cc's. This was to help H.D. regain market share, after the disastrous AMF ownership.
The unique, "Potato-Potato" sound of the Harley Davidson v twin, came as a result of a v-2 engine, with a single carburetor, with the piston rods attached to a single journal of the crankshaft. Modern Harleys have lost this unique sound due to fuel injection and increased idle speeds.
The "Dark Custom" look of the new Harleys leave me cold. It also makes me suspicious of marketing that tries to guide people towards cheaper, black paint, rather than the more-expensive chrome. Call a cheap product "Cool" or "Extreme" and gullible people will spend their money on cheaper product.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts