Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the Kawi extended warranty? Has anyone bought it and had to use it? Not bought it and wished they had? I just got the notice that my warranty will expire soon (in May!), and I'm inclined not to re up, given the reputation for reliability of the Vulcan. It's kind of expensive-$376 for 1 yr. up to $670 for 4 yrs.

I'm not a great mechanic and know very little about motorcycles (not that I'd mind learning), so almost anything that goes wrong will have to be fixed at a shop.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, ever... other than life insurance and i haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As you shop make sure you look at what it does and does not cover. A great deal may not be a great deal if it's limited to almost nothing. Let us know what you go with, if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also contemplating buying the Kawi warranty. My stealership tried selling me a warranty for three times the price of the Kawi plan. Their plan also covered less. I'm almost certain that the Kawi plan just extends the 1 year warranty included with the bike. I think it's a good deal, but any input before I buy it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had the GTPP on two Kawasaki's but never needed it. :) If you are planning on keeping the bike for a few years and riding a lot of miles then the cost divided by the years is pretty low compared to repairing or replacing almost any significant engine part that might expire. One small repair bill these days can set you back $500. Heck, some dealers want $100 for just an oil change on my VN900! (I do the oil myself).

The Kaw plan seems to be just an extension of the standard warranty and doesn't cover routine services and normal wear parts so bulbs, belts, etc. are not covered. See the Kaw website for the details. On the other hand you have to keep up the regular maintenance schedule and keep good records (don't trust the dealer for the records) or Kaw may not cover something if it does go wrong.

And definitely shop around the web. I bought the GTPP for my '01 Concours for about half of what my local dealer wanted to charge me.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts