Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday I got my 'new' '09 Classic 900. The first ride I took was to the gas station, as the fuel light was on and I did not want to take chances. When it was delivered the ODO was on 0.

Over the next couple of days I took some short rides to get used to the bike, but on Sunday I had a few hours free and decided to go a bit further. I ended up putting about 115 miles on her that day; some city and some highway.

Yesterday I took another ride, and at 178 miles the fuel light came on, showing just under 1/4 of a tank left. I filled up at 181 miles, and it took 4.154 gallons to fill back up to the same level. That means I got about 43.572 MPG. This is mostly city driving...even my 115 mile trip had enough red lights and traffic.

So, two questions: Is the MPG about right for this model?
And...does the fuel gauge seem accurate enough? Or should I look into the resistor fix?

Rod

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Your fuel gages sounds almost spot on. My 2008 shows empty with 1/2 a tank left! As for the mileage, I'm only down near 43 MPG when I'm playing around a bit. Usually I'm 45+, with some highway trips having registered as high as 53 (with the mods listed below, riding without the shield but packed for a 1 night trip). That's with me weighing in @ 250 before leather.

Were ya twisting the throttle a bit exuberantly, perhaps? :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
my fuel gauge reads empty at half a tank also i usually cave and fill up havent seen the light come on yet but i think i am going to wait this next tank till light does come on you would think they couldve atleast gotten them closer mine by the way is a 2008 also

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your fuel gages sounds almost spot on. My 2008 shows empty with 1/2 a tank left! As for the mileage, I'm only down near 43 MPG when I'm playing around a bit. Usually I'm 45+, with some highway trips having registered as high as 53 (with the mods listed below, riding without the shield but packed for a 1 night trip). That's with me weighing in @ 250 before leather.

Were ya twisting the throttle a bit exuberantly, perhaps? :D
No, not at all. It's very new so I took it easy. 70 was fastest I went and not for long at all. Kept it between 60-65 even on the highway.

Do you find the windshield helps or hurts mileage?

Rod

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 2007 gave me a consistent 50 MPG before I made any mods. I put an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on the intake and a set of Cobra Speedster Shorts on the exhaust along with a Cobra FI2000R fuel processor. I'm pretty aggressive with the throttle and I'm getting about 43-to-44 MPG.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm getting 45 out of my 2009. My gauge is like yours so i've opted not to do the resister mod. Bummer the stealership didn't you give a full tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have ~2500 miles and I've averaged 43mpg overall, that's with a fairing. I'm a nerd and I track it.

I tried the resistor mod but got some weird results so I just took it out.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
No, not at all. It's very new so I took it easy. 70 was fastest I went and not for long at all. Kept it between 60-65 even on the highway.

Do you find the windshield helps or hurts mileage?

Rod
Lowers it slightly. Not a lot.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Last Thursday I got my 'new' '09 Classic 900. The first ride I took was to the gas station, as the fuel light was on and I did not want to take chances. When it was delivered the ODO was on 0.

Over the next couple of days I took some short rides to get used to the bike, but on Sunday I had a few hours free and decided to go a bit further. I ended up putting about 115 miles on her that day; some city and some highway.

Yesterday I took another ride, and at 178 miles the fuel light came on, showing just under 1/4 of a tank left. I filled up at 181 miles, and it took 4.154 gallons to fill back up to the same level. That means I got about 43.572 MPG. This is mostly city driving...even my 115 mile trip had enough red lights and traffic.

So, two questions: Is the MPG about right for this model?
And...does the fuel gauge seem accurate enough? Or should I look into the resistor fix?

Rod
Mileage sounds about right to me. I fuel up when the light comes on, usually between 4.1-4.2 gallons. I get from 40-44 mpgs. Some guys claim 50-60, but I don't see how.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm only on my second tank, but I think I only logged A pretty crappy 37 mpg on my first tank (got 09 vn 900 classic). Granted I am in break in but have prob been a little / pretty hard on her..... Can't help it I love this bike and the near instant fi torque...;).. Have since refilled with shell 94 octane high test and will log results.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I average 43-44, on an LT bagger, and 260 pounds, stock pipes and air filter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have 10,000 miles on my totally stock '09 LT. My mileage is almost always 45-46 mpg. I don't ride much in traffic, although I have an occasional trip to work on the slab. Most of the mileage is on back roads, mainly in the north Georgia hills. A good bit of it is two-up, and between the two of us my wife and I probably total 425, but that really does not seem to effect the mileage very much.

As for the gauge, it reads empty and the light goes on around 190-195. If I fill up then, the most I have been able to get in is 4.0 gallons, so it had 1.3 left. Last night, I rode home two up from Bike Night with the light on the whole trip, and still could only get 4.3 gallons in. I don't pay much attention to the gauge or the light. I just use them as reminders to check my trip meter, but I have no problem riding a while after the light comes on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wouldn't expect a full tank from a new vehicle dealership.

But, I do expect a test ride after assembly.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't expect a full tank from a new vehicle dealership.

But, I do expect a test ride after assembly.....
Fair point, unless he was in the same position as me. I test rode my bike straight off the truck with 0km, the dealer did nothing but wet it up and check it over. That mightn't be entirely above board but I like the fact that no one but me has ever taken it on the road. And I did get a full tank!

Mileage seems OK. My gauge is nuts and I've never seen the light come on, but I generally fill up between 200-250km because that's what I did with my last bike -- a CBR600 =)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah I got the windshield, faux leather crash bar covers, saddlebags, Hard Krome pipes and Fi2k and average mid 40's. I can't believe that the pipes and Fi would drop mileage that much. Cuz I have seen guys say they are getting over 50 with windshield and bags, either they go down a lot of hills, or they have a lot, i mean a lot of self-control with the fun handle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ride mine like I stole it and still average about 45-47 mpg. Stock pipes and intake.
I also see the fuel light after about 170 - 190 miles, usually refilling 4 gallons. That leaves over a gallon in the tank when the gauges say "empty".

·
Registered
701 Posts
I get about 100-110 miles till the gauge says empty. Then I get another 60-70 miles before the light comes on. The tank has never taken more than 3.5-3.9 gallons at fill up. How hard is the fix for the gauge? Mine is a 2006 LT Bagger. I believe my tank is a little smaller than the newer ones. I average around 40-43 mpg.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Haven't got enough miles on mine yet to guess. Trip home from the dealer it was about 35ish I think. Dealer told me to give it a couple hundred going easy on the motor to break it in, had .5 miles on it when I rode out. Pretty sure its over50 now though.

I can see someone getting 60 if they drive 50MPH everywhere. 50 is the optimal fuel consumption speed. Anyone have any speed limits that are set at 50 around their places? We have one stretch of highway that is 50, its a leftover from WWII, they set most speed limits in the US to 50 or 55 and called it "Victory Speed" to save money lol. My Bronco has 55 on the speedo a different color too.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've got 21k miles on my '07 custom:

I got a full tank of gas with the bike from the dealer. Mechanically she's still 100% stock. I've added a windshield, Mustang seat, backrest, hard bags, highway bars.

I've never clocked less than 49 mpg on a tank. I tend to ride progressively over-limit (30=35 40=50 55=65 65=80). My riding style varies by who I'm riding with. Usually solo; occasionally with the wife on the back.

I never compared the two but if adding a windshield alters your mileage at all it should increase it. A windshield only weighs a few pounds but increases the aerodynamics of the bike. Your body produces a phenomenal amount of wind resistance that is reduced greatly by a well designed windshield

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm averaging 48 mpg, mostly around town or two-lane. I ride 60 to 70 mph, two-up, top gear by 50, easy on the right hand; I can rev up an inline four, but I just can't get it in my mind to rev up a V-Twin. My light comes on at about 200 miles and I have not tried to fix the gauge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts