Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some free time, so I have been thinking to clean up my garage. The floors are stained of grease and tire marks. I used to do minor repairs and tweaks in the there.

And I want to prevent the floors from staining. I have seen the parking garages using epoxy coating, so I was considering applying the same in my garage. Heard that it is costly, so, I want to know if the coating is effective enough.

So, I need your suggestions. Also, if there are any alternative methods pls, share.

Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have 3 friends that have epoxy coatings on their garage floors. Each of them uses their garage differently, which has produced different results. All had the coatings done a few years ago. My sis-in-law and her husband don't do anything mechanical in their garage. They drive in, park and leave. That floor still looks like new. My neighbor (and riding buddy) doesn't do too much in his garage except work on his bike, but his kick stand has scratched the floor badly. He now uses a pad under his kick stand when he parks. The 3rd, also a neighbor, works in his garage constantly building stuff, primarily wood projects. He has a lot of mechanical equipment that get moved around. His floor is toast and looks really bad. Raw concrete looks better.

All 3 say that installation is critical. The floor must be fully prepped for the coating, but you probably know that. I think it boils down to how you use your garage. It's obvious from these 3 that anything that can scratch, will.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It will however keep the floor from staining like you asked.

I did the coating myself about a dozen years ago, using the do it yourself stuff from Home Depot.
I thought I had cleaned up the floor enough prior to the coating, got all the oil stains off,
BUT it seems all the salt from the winter was still deep in the concrete and
that is what seems to be making the coating come off.

So now I have blotches of concrete and of coating.
Love the how I can clean up anything when its on the epoxy.
I'm thinking of redoing it this next summer, making sure I really clean the salt off first.

I'm guessing a fresh floor seals way better!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since your floors are already dirty and stained, I'd go with garage tiles instead. They are more expensive up front but you don't have to worry about the trouble, time, and cost of cleaning and prepping the existing floor. Muriatic acid is a pain to deal with. Tiles are more durable and you can lay them in different colors and designs. If one gets damaged, pull it off, and replace it with a new piece. Home improvement stores have them on sale from time to time. They might be on sale soon for black friday.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you have a show garage the epoxies work great. Even a working garage that can be re coated every other year looks good, but if you have a 30 year old house with existing stains on the floor your best bet is probably to clean or etch it as well as you can and just seal the concrete. This is not as nice as the epoxy finish but makes clean up a breeze and is easy to re coat when the high use areas need it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I'm going to do a rust colored stain then a heavy gloss sealer.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Since your floors are already dirty and stained, I'd go with garage tiles instead. They are more expensive up front but you don't have to worry about the trouble, time, and cost of cleaning and prepping the existing floor. Muriatic acid is a pain to deal with. Tiles are more durable and you can lay them in different colors and designs. If one gets damaged, pull it off, and replace it with a new piece. Home improvement stores have them on sale from time to time. They might be on sale soon for black friday.
100% agree with this. It's what i did, for that reason

I got them online 2 years or so ago, MUCH MUCH cheaper than home improvement stores.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts