Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to,the forum. I am looking to replace my wife's 2007 Virago 250 and she wanted a Vulcan 500 after doing some research. We saw a few for about $2000-3000 that are about 5-10 years old. There were a few though from 1997 ish and one in particular 1997 with 60,000 km for $1300 (cad).
It is safetied so should be good to go. I am weary though of an 18 year old bike as we are new to bikes and limited in our ability to fix things.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Should I just forget the older bike and keep looking at things within the last 5-10 years?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If properly maintained, the 500 is a extremely reliable motorcycle. Never had a problem with my 2009 in 33,000 miles. I had all maintanence done by the dealer. I would have no problem with a older, well maintained, 500. Carbs on older bikes, may need to be cleaned, if they have not been ridden regularly. If you can have a mechanic, you trust, check it out, that would be a great idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah we have no worries if we bought something that is "newer" but the potential issues with a near 20 year old bike is what scares me. If it may end up costing me an extra 500 to get it tip top than I would just pay more for a newer bike

Are there any changes from the 1997 model to more recent ones? If my reading is correct 1996 saw the latest changes until now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I really like my 09 500, although
I am looking to trade up to a bigger bike, as I am too tall for long haul comfort on the bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi. New to,the forum. I am looking to replace my wife's 2007 Virago 250 and she wanted a Vulcan 500 after doing some research. We saw a few for about $2000-3000 that are about 5-10 years old. There were a few though from 1997 ish and one in particular 1997 with 60,000 km for $1300 (cad).
It is safetied so should be good to go. I am weary though of an 18 year old bike as we are new to bikes and limited in our ability to fix things.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Should I just forget the older bike and keep looking at things within the last 5-10 years?

Thanks in advance.
get something with a warranty.

No, I guess I don't mean to be that rude.

If you are not willing to change the above, THEN get something with a warranty. An older bike is going to need maintenance and even if you're willing and able to pay somebody else to do it, you may not be able to find somebody capable. An old bike is a hobby, not just a ride, so don't take it on if you don't want that hobby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts