Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This goes out to the guys who think they don't ride their 900 hard enough to shear off those ill-placed grease fittings on the bottom of your bike:

Replace them with bolts ASAP. If you need to know how, check the sticky thread at the top of the previous page.

I thought I wouldn't have to touch mine. I don't ride aggresively. I've never even dragged a floorboard.

I put on a lowering kit, and while I was at it, I figured I'd replace the fittings as a purely precautionary measure. Both of the lower ones were gone! The front one took some of the threading on the housing with it, but there was enough thread left to get a bolt in it.

Make sure to pump it full of grease before you put the bolts in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine too

I haven't been following the threads closely until I got back in this week. I read the sticky on the zirks and thought I would take a look at mine. I never remember dragging or bottoming out with the exception of loading the bike on a trailer when I bought it new in '07. That's probably when it happened. One of mine was broken off when I looked yesterday.

It's time for a service job anyway so I want to see if the dealer even mentions one being broken...they didn't when I took it for the first service. Since I'm guessing about when it happened I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for all the great information guys!!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Same here, too. I have absolutely no recollection of bottoming out, but the zerk was gone. I have no idea when it got scraped off.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just pumped grease in mine, after I used the new wood jack that I'm about to post. Luckily the pine is real soft BUT in 3 years of some intermittent extreme riding I still have the original 3. But then I'm real observant of speed bumps and steer clear of big holes and peaks. But I imagine sooner or later the last line will bite me in the butt SOOOO before I go out tomorrow in the truck I'll get one of those bad boys off and take it with me to the hardware store.

Why, because to get the back wheel off the ground with the jack, it imbeds the front one into the wood.

·
Registered
507 Posts
At my last service, I don't think the dealer mechanic even looked at them..
I haven't pumped grease in since replacing with bolts...maybe should take a look this year

·
Registered
976 Posts
Speaking of greasing, I wish I could find a speedbump to drag this website over to bust off all those STUPID BING links that decide to fill my screen with worthless information everytime it recognizes a word.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Man mr clean this a forum for everyone not just for you to tell people what there can post. So if you dont like the ? just leave it alone you are not the only one here

·
Registered
492 Posts
They are the green underlined words in the posts. If you touch them with your cursor it pulls up a little advertisement window. I find them to be quite annoying myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have to agree with MrClean on both his posts. Off to the local Lowes to get the bolts to replace the zirks, to which I still have all of mine even after using the wood jack, and wish they would remove the "STUPID BING links" Other then that, looks like an awesome day for a really long ride. Wife does her 8am to 8pm shift and my honey-do list is completed already. Have a good one peoples..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts