Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what genius decided to put not one, not 2, but 3 grease fitting on the lowest point of the 900. As an engineer, this kind of stupidity drives me nuts!

When I bought the bike, one was already torn off, so yesterday I went Ace Hardware and got some M6 x 10 1.0 thread rounded head bolts (4 mm hex) to replace the 2 that were there and the 3rd that was gone. Took about 5 minutes to swap them out.

Considering all the good things about the 900, from the ergonomics to the power and everything in between, it's amazing none of the people at Kawasaki thought this would be a problem!

Doc

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Just wait until your stator dies. Definitely an engineering change due.
Meh there is less than a 1% failure rate for vn900 stators...i wouldnt dwell on it.......my dealer has sold somewhere north of 150 of these 900s and not one stator failure under warranty..... and not one report of one failing and the owner inquiring about parts even........yet they have replaced 4 throttle bodies under warranty and ya dont hear the forums all lit up about that type of failure......

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Meh there is less than a 1% failure rate for vn900 stators...i wouldnt dwell on it.......my dealer has sold somewhere north of 150 of these 900s and not one stator failure under warranty..... and not one report of one failing and the owner inquiring about parts even........yet they have replaced 4 throttle bodies under warranty and ya dont hear the forums all lit up about that type of failure......
I dunno if I'd call it less than 1% there. Careful Big Worm all this talk about it not being a big issue, you're next! Just kidding. It might be around there, I dunno, but it's definitely an issue with at least a batch of the 900's. Not a 'run for the hills' issue, but an issue where owners of those lucky bikes who put a lot of highway miles on, or run it to the redline a lot (i.e, high speeds and constant vibrations in the engine) will eventually wear through and ground out the stator.

The guy who has 150k on his put 3 stators on, and there's a handful of people on this forum who have done it. The stator design itself isn't the most reliable charging system, and I'd be willing to bet there was some sort of design defect in a small batch of those stators (what happens is not that they 'wear out' per se, but that a portion of the insulation wears through and it grounds out and arcs)

It's a wear item on any bike with that sort of a charging system. But, it's definitely not a deal breaker on the 900. Easy and relatively inexpensive fix if you do it yourself. I did mine at 15k when it went out, just took time, not a lot of effort.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great. Missed it by a year. Mine is a 2009.
Consider yourself lucky. I believe that you have to drop the swing arm to lube that area on the 2010.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My '09 only has 4100 miles on and all 3 of these are still there. I don't know how people would get these caught on anything to have them rip off...

·
Registered
507 Posts
My '09 only has 4100 miles on and all 3 of these are still there. I don't know how people would get these caught on anything to have them rip off...
My 08 has about 16000kms. All three are still on mine too. I guess speed bumps and such??

Maybe rocks and road debris flying up and hitting them? Seems unlikely, but since mine all are three still, I don't know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I lost one last summer and I am sure it caught on in a road construction zone. They were replacing water lines (the pressure one's that supply house water) During construction they run what look like fire hoses from hydrants along the street to supply houses backward through their outside tapes. Where these cross the street the use ashpalt to create what looks like a Speed Bump to protect the hose from the weight of vehicles. These "speed bumps" are not always uniform or sloped as gradually as normal speed bumps and I'm sure that is where my bottom connected with the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I just changed mine at 13K. Thought it would last longer but still the 900 is a great bike. I'm planning on keeping it even tho it might have a few faults (kinda like the wife) :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 08 has about 16000kms. All three are still on mine too. I guess speed bumps and such??

Maybe rocks and road debris flying up and hitting them? Seems unlikely, but since mine all are three still, I don't know.
Who slows down for speed bumps anyway? Just throttle up and they'll never be close. :D Well maybe not if your riding 2 up. :rolleyes:

If it's a problem simply replace them with inverted zirks. They only protrude 1/8" and can be greased with a ball tip on your grease gun.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a 09 LT that I bought new with just over 37000 miles on it now and still have all three zerks. And I'm still running on the Original battery, regulator and stater (knock on wood) she still run just as stong as the day I bought her and all I do is change the oil every 3 to 4k (Rottella T5 10-W40 oil)... I guess I'm just one of the lucky one's!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know what genius decided to put not one, not 2, but 3 grease fitting on the lowest point of the 900. As an engineer, this kind of stupidity drives me nuts!

When I bought the bike, one was already torn off, so yesterday I went Ace Hardware and got some M6 x 10 1.0 thread rounded head bolts (4 mm hex) to replace the 2 that were there and the 3rd that was gone. Took about 5 minutes to swap them out.

Considering all the good things about the 900, from the ergonomics to the power and everything in between, it's amazing none of the people at Kawasaki thought this would be a problem!

Doc
I too replaced the grease zerks, used Bolts & Washers perchased at a hardware store. I remove them every LOF and give the tie rods a couple shots of grease. Thanks to the Vulcan forum heads up on this issue I was able to remedy the problem early with no broken zerks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts