Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a fellow forum member I now will have the right brackets and misc parts to mount the stock exhaust to my 900.

( Thanks Matt aka mex7.62 )

While taking off the old exhaust a stud came out with the cap nut on one header. I tried to get the cap off since I bought 4 new shiny ones, but even using blaster it did not come loose. I'm not sure this was the right cap because it looks different from the other one, but all are getting replaced so it doesn't matter. Then I noticed I squished some threads in the attempt so I had to order a new stud for $2.89 plus a little postage, it arrives Friday.

I did find some titanium cap nuts available but had to laugh at the $34.21 price tag. I can buy new caps for many years for that...

I wish it was common practice to use anti seize on these lol. That's what I am using when I reinstall....

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same issue with one bolt. I screwed it back in but put vibra-tite

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the bolt cap nut was shiny i would, but its awful. I went through the trouble to obtain a mint factory exhaust system and shined it up nice, the rusty nut has to go. The new stud will be here Friday, and I have 4 shiny new cap nuts waiting....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If the bolt cap nut was shiny i would, but its awful. I went through the trouble to obtain a mint factory exhaust system and shined it up nice, the rusty nut has to go. The new stud will be here Friday, and I have 4 shiny new cap nuts waiting....
Yea that would drive me nuts too If I put that cap back on:serious:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much better!

I was unaware there are different threads on each end of the stud. When putting it on it did not want to screw into the block and it was like the hole wasn't the right size and was binding. I turned it around and used the other end and it went on smooth as silk and went all the way in using just my fingers to turn. I only noticed afterward that there is one end slightly longer than the other too. The longer end goes in the block.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts