Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRYING to get the right fork tube off the 2007 V2K, at a standstill. Was HOPING to get this fork seal replaced so I could go home to MS Saturday.

It appears there's a chrome plate which the back of the headlight bucket bolts to, correct?

It appears in order to get that cowbell off the fork tube, you've got to take that plate off, yes?
The center allen head bolt directly behind the headlight bucket APPEARS to have a broken off allen head stuck IN it, which could have only happened when the bike was assembled brand new.
I sure wish I could get someone on the phone and help me figure this out, as I'm stumped.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the nacelle is divide in two parts (left and right) you have to remove the ignition cover plate, headlight and partially the turn signal bar from the left side. there are six lateral bolts 4 on the left and two one the right, remove the two holding the nacelle to the left fork and then the two holding the two parts of the nacelle together, usually are pretty tight. Then remove the headlight holder (black metal oval bracket held by about 6 or 7 bolts. After this you will be able to remove the left side of the nacelle.
Remove the two bolts holding the nacelle to the right fork. You are done.

A broken tool inside an Allen bolt is not something that will go unnoticed in a Japanese assembly line.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Never had that part of the bike apart. I looked through the Kawi factory service manual but I couldn't find that level of detail.

Remove headlight housing, yup.
Remove fork tubes, yup.
Remove handle bars, yup.
Remove headlight bracket and chrome bits, nope, not seeing it.

It's hard for me to understand where you're at with the disassembly not having done it, but I presume you're not able to get to the Allen screws that clamp the fork tubes into the steering head/triple tree?

What's the model? Vulcan with the nacelle headlight or Classic LT?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
finally got it off

to remove the right fork tube, I loosened the bolt on the top triple tree clamp.
To get to the TWO bolts in the lower triple tree clamp, you must first remove the chrome piece which covers the lower triple tree.
To do that, you must first remove the headlight bucket which is held onto a bracket with three bolts, nut is INSIDE the bucket. Done.
Once the bucket is off, you can see a small allen head bolt directly behind the bucket.
This allen head bolt DID have what appeared to be the tip of an allen wrench broken off in it.
Either this happened at the factory or at the dealer.
I had to grind it with a dremel till I could get an edge on one side to drive it with a screwdriver. THEN it came out.
Pics to follow

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
to remove the right fork tube, I loosened the bolt on the top triple tree clamp.
To get to the TWO bolts in the lower triple tree clamp, you must first remove the chrome piece which covers the lower triple tree.
To do that, you must first remove the headlight bucket which is held onto a bracket with three bolts, nut is INSIDE the bucket. Done.
Once the bucket is off, you can see a small allen head bolt directly behind the bucket.
This allen head bolt DID have what appeared to be the tip of an allen wrench broken off in it.
Either this happened at the factory or at the dealer.
I had to grind it with a dremel till I could get an edge on one side to drive it with a screwdriver. THEN it came out.
Pics to follow
MeM'rs, yor not alone. I am infinately intimate with this POS krome trim covering those KawBell Fat lady Tins. and kaw put the (2) per leg fork bolts in front under this trim piece, sumbicht.. On my EyeTailyon sled all the fork clamps are behind=accessible.

YES, inside the headlight bucket has 2 keepers inside and 3 allen bolts thru that POS (I HATE KROME!) cover. I had to literally stretch and beat it on over the leggins, on my buddies (my old v2k) bike.. for some reason, he likes this krap?
This is just another reason I prefer to strip my sleds to BEAR minimum amount of hardware necessary to roll. Less IS More, fun. poncho

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts