Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to my local dealer to buy a syn. Oil change kit for my Voyager. No kits were available, nor was any Kawasaki full syn. Oil. You would think that something as common as a oil change kit would be something that is in stock. I also tried to buy some crush washers. They tried to sell them to me for $4.80 each. Total rip off as the Kawasaki price is less than 2 bucks. I think the dealer should give up the franchise since this is a common thing when looking for anything Kawasaki!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yesterday I went to my local dealer to buy a syn. Oil change kit for my Voyager. No kits were available, nor was any Kawasaki full syn. Oil. You would think that something as common as a oil change kit would be something that is in stock. I also tried to buy some crush washers. They tried to sell them to me for $4.80 each. Total rip off as the Kawasaki price is less than 2 bucks. I think the dealer should give up the franchise since this is a common thing when looking for anything Kawasaki!
Gave up the Kaw dealer where I bought my Nomad, same issues. Other dealer is great, but for oil and filters they can't compete. I get liquid purple for motorcycles from napa and k&n filter from advance. Good oil isn't cheap, but life blood of your ride. I change every 5k or 8 months depending on season riding 8k per year. Best change I think is May for hot summer Va. Heat. Don't skimp on filters, must have back flow baffle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
same thing at my dealer. They charged out 5x 1L kawi synthetic when they used a 4L jug + 1. They fixed it when I kicked a little. No kits in stock. Next time, I'm having them order the kit in well before the oil change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked to have 2 ordered in yesterday. They are $55 each for full syn. That eBay price is high. And I'm talking Canadian dollars.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Been going to O'Reilly's for the oil and filter(cheaper). I stopped in at the dealer and picked up 10 crush washers(1.25 each). Figured that would last me a while.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Been using same washer, just torque carefully & coat threads with ptex. K&N filters at Advance were best.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
It never occurred to me before that there were actual oil change kits for Kawi. Given the prices mentioned here though I think I will just stick to buying everything separate where I can find a good deal.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Dealer markups are notorious; and it's not just Kawasaki, or even just motorcycles. I never buy oil for my car at the Ford dealer, either.

Much of this stuff can be bought online significantly cheaper, or through independent parts houses, etc. I bought a box of crush washers for a few bucks a while back, and they fit both my 1700 Vaquero and my wifes 750 Shadow. Sweet! I don't recall where, it was a couple of years ago. A box of these things will probably outlive the bikes.

I buy oil by the case for a bit of a bulk discount. Buying a case of 12 nets me an oil change on both bikes, plus a little extra. After a few cases, I have enough "leftover bottles" to change them both again. Oil is something I'm always going to need, right? Perhaps not right now today, but I do plan to keep changing my oil, even in the future, right? So it makes a lot of sense to me to buy all of that stuff in bulk, have it on a shelf, and not have to go chasing things or balking at prices when it's time to change it. I just always have it 'in stock'.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It never occurred to me before that there were actual oil change kits for Kawi. Given the prices mentioned here though I think I will just stick to buying everything separate where I can find a good deal.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than $55 Canadian for 4 liters of syn. oil a filter and a crush washer. My problem is my dealer sucks! The kit part number is PT K61021-076

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I have never heard of a oil change kit. I have always just purchased the oil and filter at Walmart or a local auto parts store. I purchased a bag of the washers on the internet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I asked to have 2 ordered in yesterday. They are $55 each for full syn. That eBay price is high. And I'm talking Canadian dollars.
The kit is a good deal in Canada, but it's not specifically for a 1700. You will be short 1/2 liter of oil and one crush washer. But it does have 2 gloves...................... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts