Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought another insurance wreck, here it is when I trailered it home on Friday

You have to look very carefully to see the damage, a bent floorboard bracket, broken floorboard, broken turn signal, mangled rear brake reservoir bracket, scuffed front fender. Everything I need to fix it is about $400.
The 2008 900 Classic has 2900 miles on it and went for $2,200.

I have already ordered mostly new OEM parts, and found a floorboard bracket on Ebay.

Here's how it looked yesterday...

I've had my eye on these Vulcans for a few years, and this one popped up at the insurance auction...
I have to get it retitled and see how I like it. Up and down the driveway is just not enough of an impression!

And I read all about the goofy gas gage and the fried stators (thanks to all who came before me).

Is there anything else I should look out for?

·
Registered
600 Posts
So I bought another insurance wreck, here it is when I trailered it home on Friday

You have to look very carefully to see the damage, a bent floorboard bracket, broken floorboard, broken turn signal, mangled rear brake reservoir bracket, scuffed front fender. Everything I need to fix it is about $400.
The 2008 900 Classic has 2900 miles on it and went for $2,200.

I have already ordered mostly new OEM parts, and found a floorboard bracket on Ebay.

Here's how it looked yesterday...

I've had my eye on these Vulcans for a few years, and this one popped up at the insurance auction...
I have to get it retitled and see how I like it. Up and down the driveway is just not enough of an impression!

And I read all about the goofy gas gage and the fried stators (thanks to all who came before me).

Is there anything else I should look out for?
Yeah. You should look out for getting a non removable grin on your face once you get it out on the road...... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. dude,
Yeah, I'm looking foward to getting it fixed, retitled and on the road.
Actually, nearly 6 years ago I saw a Vulcan (don't know what size, model) in my driveway. It belonged to a guy looking at the jeep my nephew was selling. The guy never bought the jeep, but we talked about his Vulcan for a long time. It looked to me like a restored Indian,,,I was shocked and impressed when I found out it was newer, a Kawasaki, and it was liquid cooled. It sat there idling for 30 minutes while we chatted, and he rode away without so much as a sputter.
I immediately ran inside and studied these unknown Vulcan things...eventually, I stumbled on this one.
So yeah, it's been a long time comin'

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, my S-I-L submitted the application for title inspection to NYS yesterday, now I wait.
With NYS, you never know, they lost paperwork once, took 6 months to get an inspection.

For those of you that don't know, here in NYS, a totaled vehicle is issued an MV 907A certificate. that certificate proves ownership...to get a 907A vehicle back on the road it must be repaired and inspected, and retitled. Mostly, the inspectors are looking to see that the vehicle has been properly repaired and contains no stolen parts. On cars and trucks, they even remove trim and body panels to search for VIN tags. Once a vehicle passes this inspection, it is issued a salvage title. After that, it's the same as any vehicle, get it safety inspected, insured, and registered like anything else.
Of course, that title is forever branded as a salvage vehicle, which reduces its value on the open market, but has no affect on the way it drives, rides or pads my wallet!

And I wait also for the parts that I ordered from Kawasaki Parts House (Babbitts Online)on Friday.
Does anyone here have experience with them? What is their typical delivery...I chose standard ground shipping.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
OK, my S-I-L submitted the application for title inspection to NYS yesterday, now I wait.
With NYS, you never know, they lost paperwork once, took 6 months to get an inspection.

For those of you that don't know, here in NYS, a totaled vehicle is issued an MV 907A certificate. that certificate proves ownership...to get a 907A vehicle back on the road it must be repaired and inspected, and retitled. Mostly, the inspectors are looking to see that the vehicle has been properly repaired and contains no stolen parts. On cars and trucks, they even remove trim and body panels to search for VIN tags. Once a vehicle passes this inspection, it is issued a salvage title. After that, it's the same as any vehicle, get it safety inspected, insured, and registered like anything else.
Of course, that title is forever branded as a salvage vehicle, which reduces its value on the open market, but has no affect on the way it drives, rides or pads my wallet!

And I wait also for the parts that I ordered from Kawasaki Parts House (Babbitts Online)on Friday.
Does anyone here have experience with them? What is their typical delivery...I chose standard ground shipping.

I don't have experience with them, but I did just buy some parts for my wifes bike from CheapCycleParts.com. Cheap, Honda OEM, and got them about 5 days after clicking 'buy'! I'd use them again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess Babbitt's Online Kawasaki parts is OK...I just received UPS tracking notice. Expected delivery is 6-13-13, not bad considering I ordered the parts on 6-7-13 at 9:00 PM.
Should have the bike all new looking by this time next week!!
And I wait again...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, guys, I got the floorboard bracket today from the Ebay seller...I was pretty excited to run out to the garage after dinner to install it. Simple bolt in part swap, right?
Well, nor quite. After bolting on the replacement bracket, I reinstalled the broken floorboard, just to check clearances. There was no clearance!!! I couldn't even fit the pivot pin all the way though, the floorboard was hitting the pipes.
Looking closely, I saw that the welded on mounts for the floorboard bracket were bent. After trying to straighten them in place, I decided to remove that section of frame, to make it easier to work on. It was then that I saw a kink in that removable frame piece!!
A quick trip to work, and the frame piece was as straight as new. But I had a bear of a time getting all the various bolts and brackets to line up...eventually, after 3 hours or so, I was finished with my simple "bolt on" part replacement. Phew.

Tomorrow the replacement fender, turn signal, and floorboards should arrive.
I''ll get some photos too, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received the parts I ordered from Babbitts yesterday...I am a bonehead.

I assumed (maybe the website is designed to confuse $$$) that because there was no left or right floorboard designation, and the shopping cart automatically gives a quantity of 2, that the floorboards had to be purchased as a pair.

Duh!!!!

The floorboards are identical, either one can fit on either side...so I guess I'll be sending one back.
Also, I accidentally ordered the rubber covers for the passenger pegs, i just clicked the wrong spot. So those are going back too! And i need to order the correct rubber pad for the floorboard.

But, on the plus side, I did install the turn signal, one floorboard and the front fender. The bike now looks like new!!
I'll roll it outside tomorrow and get some photos and post them here.

·
Registered
941 Posts
custom made fender for the Vulcan 900, fiberglass
Man I love that fender. I think I have commented on other posts with that fender. Do they have a rear yet? And where can I get it and how much?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, here it is, all repaired and ready to ride...except for the title and reg.
$2,200 for the bike, $364 in parts, labor, free!! Cost for NYS to inspect and retitle $200.
Grand total = $2,764...not too bad. If I really like it, I'll sell it and get something even nicer.
If I don't like it, it goes a little sooner.
Take a look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice work!

I tried to pick up a repaired, salvage titled Triumph here in Ohio a few months back. It was everything I wanted, but the salvage title killed the deal.

I think I only found one insurer that would give me full coverage insurance at something like $500/year. All of the others would only insure liability only.

I didn't want to be out my $5,000 if something happened on the road.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rob,

Hmmm, I wonder if the retitle regulations are different for you in Oh vs me in NY...I've done this many times in the last few years, these vehicles come with a salvage certificate, an MV907A. I have to get it inspected to be retitled, and then the title carries forever the brand "salvage vehicle" on the title. But, I never had the title affect the cost or availability of insurance...

I do know that salvage vehicles from some other states (not all) can be repaired and retitled in NY without being branded "salvage".
Every time I sell one of these retitled insurance wrecks, I'm always up front about the title and the vehicle history. Most folks look at the "before" photos and say "that's it!?"

Anyway, I'm getting anxious to ride it, but I have to wait for who knows how long for an inspection date.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I know you guys (and gals) have been seating at the edge of your seat saying "When is stripperguy going to get that classic on the road?"

I'm a little closer now...or at least I received notice from NYS DMV that my retitle inspection is Aug 12. Not bad, just about a 7 week wait since I sent in the paperwork. After the inspection, (assuming it passes) I wait again to get the salvage title, a week or two at most. Just in time for prime riding weather, but too late to sell. ;)

Too bad, I'll just have to ride it until the end of the season.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That doesn't look like a cedar strip canoe to me. Oh, wrong forum.
I suppose this interweb thing has made the world much smaller...
I also hang around the Jeep forum, and of course, the ADK Forum, my home base.
Last week we bushwhacked into OK Slip falls, a 255 ft tall waterfall in the newly purchased wilderness near the Hudson River Gorge.

My problem is that I have too many interests and too little time...

Are you a 900 rider?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts