Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/24/4767060/new-york-cuomo-unveils-text-stops-to-combat-distracted-driving

Sounds like New York is going to be cracking down on texting and driving. It's still legal in many states. However, aside from the citations and things (I'm not really sure how effective that is anyway) they are offering a neat, creative solution. "text stops". It sounds like it's just rebranding existing rest stops and commuter lots, but it's an idea. I've used rest stops a couple times before on a motorcycle trip that involved a lot of interstate to pull off and check my phone, map, get a snack, get a fresh bottle of water, etc. (Out on the back roads and state highways usually it's just as easy to pull off; but that's not always safe on the interstate).

Seems like I see it more and more every day. The worst part is a lot of these states are targeting teen drivers with all of this. Because this must be a problem with those darn kids; not us grown ups right? Except, at least in my neck of the woods, it seems like for every one teen I see I see 2 middle-aged men or women texting. And to be frank; they scare me more. Usually the teen has his/her phone down in their lap texting 90 miles an hour with one hand while somewhat looking out the windshield. The middle aged soccer mom or business man is looking down over their glasses, taking their eyes completely off the road for seconds at a time; OR, what I saw just today, lifting their glasses off of their face, gripping the phone with both hands and holding it close to their face so they can read it. Sheesh!

·
Registered
574 Posts
New York did recently up the fine to $125 (or something like that). That will get their attention quicker than before. Florida's recent law passing is a joke. $25 for the first offense and you can't be pulled over "just" for a texting check, you have to be doing something else wrong. Not sure why they even bothered, there must be some money motivations goin on in the legislature that is not revealed.

Proven studies in Florida show that texting kills more people than drunk drivers. The first offense for drunk driving will end up costing you over a grand if you don't want to loose your license for a few months. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
As of 1/1/14, Illinois goes hands free and we can stop offenders and write tickets. No word yet on fines down the grapevine yet. You can bet that I will be writing lot's of them here...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The worst part is a lot of these states are targeting teen drivers with all of this. Because this must be a problem with those darn kids; not us grown ups right?
I think it is because back in the day, it was only "kids" texting. All of these cell phone commercials talk about kids texting too much and running up the bill. It is not only the government.

Now these "kids" are adults that has entered the working world and have continued to conduct business via text a lot of the times, which seems to make it "more important". Then you always have a new generation of kids to pick up the bad habits and then add something else to the mix. First it was texting, then picture messages, now it is facebook status updates and comments, watching video, twitter, ... . Why should the next generation of teens need to quit when there parents do it too?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is because back in the day, it was only "kids" texting. All of these cell phone commercials talk about kids texting too much and running up the bill. It is not only the government.

Now these "kids" are adults that has entered the working world and have continued to conduct business via text a lot of the times, which seems to make it "more important". Then you always have a new generation of kids to pick up the bad habits and then add something else to the mix. First it was texting, then picture messages, now it is facebook status updates and comments, watching video, twitter, ... . Why should the next generation of teens need to quit when there parents do it too?
I think it's a little bit that, and a little bit the fact that the texting has been adopted by older generations. I'm not talking people my age, who were teens when the texting fad began, I'm talking about 40, 50, and 60 year old folks texting and driving; which happens alot!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I think it's a little bit that, and a little bit the fact that the texting has been adopted by older generations. I'm not talking people my age, who were teens when the texting fad began, I'm talking about 40, 50, and 60 year old folks texting and driving; which happens alot!
You mean when we texted with these? This is actually my first cell phone from back in the day.

But the fact of the matter when it comes to marketing, kids think they know everything thing and adults are hypocrites. So that type of marketing works. Kids think they can text and drive, and adults tell their kids not too, but do it anyways. But back to the subject at hand, at least there is a government agency trying a different approach to the issue. Can not fault them for being creative.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean when we texted with these? This is actually my first cell phone from back in the day.

But the fact of the matter when it comes to marketing, kids think they know everything thing and adults are hypocrites. So that type of marketing works. Kids think they can text and drive, and adults tell their kids not too, but do it anyways. But back to the subject at hand, at least there is a government agency trying a different approach to the issue. Can not fault them for being creative.
Yeah. Back before full keyboards and stuff :p

You're right on that. Kids are invincible. I talk to lots of other teens and 'young adults' who claim they can text and drive safely, because they can pay attention while doing it. Or they can text without looking at their phone (Really? You hit send without checking it? How do you read the message to know what to reply?) Then you've got adults who think, since they aren't a kid, they aren't doing it wrong. I've got a late-30's friend with that attitude. He'll post pictures to facebook while driving, text and driving; and his excuse is that he's not some air-headed kid, he's still paying attention to the road. Vicious cycle when you think it's wrong for other people but okay for you. After all, 93% of drivers in a survey several years ago responded that they were "better than average" drivers. Everyone thinks they are a great driver, and that everyone else is a bad driver.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
I guess its a good idea but we'll also need stops for knuckleheads that are:

:D Putting on lipstick/makeup/hair stuff
:D Eating a donut/cheezeburger/whatever
:D Yelling at their kids
:D Screwing with a nav system

And any other of a number of in-car distractions. Seems like a poor use of taxpayer $$. Where does it end?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess its a good idea but we'll also need stops for knuckleheads that are:

:D Putting on lipstick/makeup/hair stuff
:D Eating a donut/cheezeburger/whatever
:D Yelling at their kids
:D Screwing with a nav system

And any other of a number of in-car distractions. Seems like a poor use of taxpayer $$. Where does it end?
That's true. Anything new will be scary. I've been seeing this thing going around facebook about CFL bulbs having black spots on them after burning out. It's got everyone in a tizzy. But incandescent bulbs get scorch marks too, and even cause fires because they get so hot! We just aren't afraid of them because they aren't 'scary new technology'.

DISTRACTED driving is the problem, you're right. I wonder what the solution is though? The underlying problem is that everyone thinks they are a great driver and everyone else is an idiot. You won't fix that with a sign!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm scared to death of my lightbulbs.

Fluorophobic. DAMM|T! :(
Wait 'til I tell you about how using a cellphone is going to cause cancer. You see, the space-micro-death rays that the Cellulocancer companies use eat through the cells in your brain whenever you're on the phone. Sure, radio waves are going to 'pass through you' whether you're on the phone or not, because they are being transmitted and received by every television, wi-fi and bluetooth device, cellphone, CB radio, FM radio, VHF airplane radio and so on and so forth around. But these aren't those radio waves from when we were kids that we aren't afraid of. These are the exact same types of radio frequency waves but being transceived through cellular phones which makes them CANCER DEATH RAYS!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts