Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....has anyone ever heard of RAISING a bike to give it more ground clearance? Tired of dragging either the pipes on the right or the floorboard on the left.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't know about kits or fab work to do it, but I put a taller rear tire on my bike and it gave me a little extra wiggle room. Will that work for the beast?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Have you tried 'modifying your technique' a little? If you slow down BEFORE a turn, and accelerate through the ENTIRE turn (so slow down enough that you can throttle through the entire turn) you'll get more ground clearance.

This is because most of the 'dragging' is in front of the bikes center of gravity. When you accelerate, the weight shifts back, when you decelerate, it shifts forward. That's why folks who brake through a corner tend to have less ground clearance than folks who throttle through a corner!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kinda similar situation.

I put a set of Progressive 440 HDs on my Nomad that were 11.5" long.

I was always dragging the mufflers at the bottom of the drive, and the floorboards without really trying.

I bought a pair of Progressive 412HDs in 13.5". What a difference.

MT

·
Registered
775 Posts
You don't see most of these folks raising their bikes.
Cruiser riders as a whole are more concerned with appearance than actual performance.

“It's more important to look good than to feel good.
Billy Crystal on Saturday Night Live”

Sure,some guys install BAK's,Power commanders,pipes,etc. but then they lower the bike so that the performance can only be experienced in a straight line. BORING !

Lowering and fat tires and chrome and paint and louder pipes are the norm.
Actual handling and real world performance are secondary.
There are no "kits" that I know of.
I put taller tires and/or longer shocks when I can.
Better front fork springs reduce dive.

JJ

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just got back from riding the twisties in TN/NC, went down NC 80, got my picture snapped numerous times by blindkenny.com as I drug the heck out of my left floorboards. Before entering this left sweeper, I slowed BEFORE the turn, gassed my way through it and out of it. I've tried everything. When you drag the pipe side hard, the rear wheel comes OFF the asphalt, something you do NOT want to experience.

·
Registered
775 Posts
A taller tire on the back would help with the pipes.
Stiffer fork springs or a spacer to preload the forks or move the forks in the triple tree or get longer fork tubes or get a taller tire.
My V2k will be the last bike runnin' this year.
She let me down last year so there she sits.
She needs both tires.
I'm goin' with a Goodyear TT,205/60-16,only because I have one.
On the front I will do a spacer for now.
I'm not riding 2 up on the kaw.

JJ

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow, love to know how it turns out for ya!

Of course, one thing that has to be realized is that, there are trade-offs when you go with big displacement V-Twins over smaller bikes, sport/sport-touring bikes, etc. Those big tires necessary for the torque of that engine, the wide stance, and the general wide 'n low styling of the bike does not lend itself to tremendous handling.

In the sportbike world the 600 class bikes are tremendously popular, and to a lesser extent the 1000 class. The reason is, they are a nice 'middle ground'. Even with sportbikes, the biggest and baddest bikes pretty much only go in a straight like. A ZX-14 or Hayabusa will blow anything on two (and most things on 4) wheels out of the water in a straight line, but in a tight corner it'll get passed by a 600. Long, wide, heavy, low. All necessary to be manageable when you have that much horsepower and that much engine. Not unlike the V2K in the cruiser world.

Have you tried with your wifes 900? I don't expect it to be much (or any) better, but I am curious of the 900's slightly 'skinnier' stance lends itself to any more ground clearance. Though on my 900 I know it's not long before you hit hard parts. But I AM curious if there's any difference, even though both bikes are built on similar frames.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
while the VN 900 is lighter and easier to toss around, it is also easier to drag stuff !
It's just a fact of life I need to learn to live with: cruisers are not made for the twisties.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
while the VN 900 is lighter and easier to toss around, it is also easier to drag stuff !
It's just a fact of life I need to learn to live with: cruisers are not made for the twisties.
Good to know!

There are SOME cruisers more capable in the twisties, but you'll find your feet tucked tightly below you and the exhaust system a less than flattering high-up one, and likely some sort of exotic high-revving engine (even if it is a V-twin or V-4). Basically, a sportbike stuck in a cruiser body. The big issue is those nice, comfy, forward mounted pegs and floorboards, and cool looking way oversized chrome pipes...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rode a 78 cb750 before the 06 Vulcan 1600. Could take a 90º corner at 45 mph without dragging anything. It didn't have forward controls and just had pegs rather than boards. It was fun on short trips but got to say I will take the trade off for the comfort of the Vulcan with forward controls and a lower stance over flying through the curves. I just take the twisties a little slower and then roll the heck out of the throttle on the way out. I figure that's why it's called a cruiser cause you cruise.

Just in case... check the air in the rear shocks. They don't hold much air. I noticed that i dragged the boards more than i liked early this year. I found that there was hardly any air in the shocks. (10lbs). I filled them to 30lbs and it was a noticeable difference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
prior to the V2K, I spend 26 years on an '82 GoldWing, NO ground clearance issues. Will check the air pressure, thanks
Yep but where were your feet, what was the seat height, and how was the center of gravity compared to the V2K?

Not at all saying the Goldwing isn't an awesome bike (It is!), but there is a BIG difference between the two. Namely, the riding position tucks your feet out of the way instead of putting them close to the ground, it's tall and up off the ground, and the exhaust is subdued and built IN to the bike instead of 'strapped to the side' like our bikes, all leading to lots more ground clearance.

The GoldWing is a lot closer to a 'sport touring' bike than a cruiser.

I've got long legs, so I have to trade off ground clearance and cornering performance in order to gain what I need to be comfortable. I don't mind though, I ride like an old geezer, going faster just means you don't get to see as much!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
... I don't mind though, I ride like an old geezer, going faster just means you don't get to see as much!
:good: Sort of depends on -why- you're riding, doesn't it? :good:

I'm to that stage in my life that I want to slow down just a bit and actually -enjoy- the ride itself. I've had enough adrenalin dumped in my system over the years to kill a horse, now I'm going back to see what all I've missed!

·
Registered
775 Posts
does that 205 clear with no problem? You're the first person I've heard of running that tire, how does it hold up on mileage?
Mark,you didn't read the post.
The V2k is dead in the water to me right now.
I fixed it over the winter and it sits there with 2 bald tires.
I'm riding the Valkyrie.
In a little while I'll get the Strato out which has good tires but needs an oil change.
I'll be riding the Strato mostly 'till probably june or july and then I will put tires on the V2k.
A 205 EASILY fits on a V2k.
In fact,many guys run 225's but I am not going that wide 'cause I don't want to slow down the handling.
Here are what is being installed on the V2k:

Kawasaki V2K 6 Cruiser / Touring Goodyear Triple tread 225/55/16 <=40 no entry
Kawasaki V2K 2004 0 Moderate General Altimax HP 225/55H-16 no entry no entry
Kawasaki V2K 2004 6 Cruiser / Touring Goodyear 225 50 16 no entry 32-34
Kawasaki V2K 2004 6 I Stole it! Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/55-16 no entry 35-37
Kawasaki V2K 2004 6 Cruiser / Touring Goodyear Assurance TT 205-60-16 <=40 38-40
Kawasaki V2K 2006 6 Moderate Michelin 215/60/16 no entry 29-31
Kawasaki V2K 2006 6 Aggressive Cooper Zeon 2XS 205/55-16 no entry 38-40
Kawasaki V2K 2007 6 Aggressive Goodyear Assurance TT 215/60-16 <=40 no entry
Kawasaki V2K 2007 0 Cruiser / Touring Goodyear Assurance TT 205/60/16 101-110 35-37
Kawasaki V2K 2007 6 Aggressive Goodyear Tripple Tread 205/60/16 <=40 38-40
Kawasaki V2k 2008 6 Aggressive General Altimax HP 205/60/16 <=40 no entry
Kawasaki V2K Classic 2006 6 Cruiser / Touring Goodyear 215/60/16 51-60 32-34
Kawasaki V2K LT 2006 6 Cruiser / Touring Goodyear Assurance TT 205/60/16 <=40 29-31
Kawasaki V2K Vulcan 2007 6 Cruiser / Touring General 205-60-16 <=40 38-40
Kawasaki VK2 2002 6 Aggressive Bridgestone ZRI 225/60/16 71-80 32-34

JJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts