Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pick up a used 2009 1700. Right now I'm riding a 2012 900 classic and I really like it but I would love just a little more torque and a 6th gear. I find the 900 very easy to maneuver but I'm not a big guy (155 lb) and I just started riding last spring and the 1700 is 100+ lbs heavier of a bike.

I could go for a victory or a harley I guess since those are lighter bikes although more expensive. But I like the ergonomics on the vulcans and the availability of aftermarket parts (vs the victory).

What's the general consensus on the 1700s here? I see some complaints so I wanted to get the advice from the people.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick up a used 2009 1700. Right now I'm riding a 2012 900 classic and I really like it but I would love just a little more torque and a 6th gear. I find the 900 very easy to maneuver but I'm not a big guy (155 lb) and I just started riding last spring and the 1700 is 100+ lbs heavier of a bike.

I could go for a victory or a harley I guess since those are lighter bikes although more expensive. But I like the ergonomics on the vulcans and the availability of aftermarket parts (vs the victory).

What's the general consensus on the 1700s here? I see some complaints so I wanted to get the advice from the people.
Meatwad,

With a 2009 make sure to see the sticky notices at the top of this forum, specifically regarding the recall notice on the ECU and the free dealer upgrade to Heat Shields for the exhaust.

Find out if the ECU was replaced under the recall and make sure the dealer installed the FREE heat shield kit. If not, both are available for free.

Also, the best improvement I made was the RACNRAY Throttle mod (search on this forum for details). It is the best value for the money and eliminates the throttle lag on the stock bikes.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Meatwad
I don't find a lot of "accessories" for the 1700 Classic. Seems to be many more for the 900's. So if mods are high on your list you might consider keeping the 900. As for the extra 100 pounds, I went from a Suzy C50 to the 1700 without much trouble and I'm no big guy and no spring chicken...
WEG

·
Registered
204 Posts

I rode the 900 for 6 years and really enjoyed it. I changed to a larger front sprocket that reduced engine rpm's by about 6% and had the added benefit of smoothing out 1st and 2nd gear which made low speed maneuvering a breeze on th 900. I also did the big 3 and picked up a substantial amount of power.
I recently upgraded to the Vaq. I did find the significantly higher weight to be a challenge initially (it is heavier than the 1700 classic). However, with just a bit of parking lot practice, and Ray's throttle mod, I can move this bike around at low speed just as easily as the 900. The only thing I am careful about is not putting myself in a position where I have to back the Vaq up any kind of incline. At 5'10" and 175lbs, this just doesn't happen, lol.
When I rode the 900 I used to smile at some of the other guys I rode with when I saw them carefully avoiding inclines in parking lots where they would have to back up. Now I am right there with them, lol.
I am growing to love this bike. With a Corbin seat, FP exhaust and a few other mods to make it "mine", it is a sheer pleasure to ride. I am much more likely to hop on the Vaq and head out on longer highway rides due to its stability and comfort at higher speeds. Blasting some classic rock and rolling down the highway: tell me how it gets any better than that!
Now.....need to go for a ride........

·
Registered
381 Posts

I could go for a victory or a Harley I guess since those are lighter bikes although more expensive. But I like the ergonomics on the vulcans and the availability of aftermarket parts (vs the victory).

If you do a lot of highway or 2 up riding it's worth the upgrade. My 2009 1700 Nomad is a champ of a touring machine. I wish I could have kept my old 900 as well for tearing up the twisties but it's probably best that neither my garage or wallet can facilitate a bike collection =). The 1700 Classic is a good all around basic full sized cruiser and hard to beat for the price. If you are looking for something with more highway power and not much added bulk for around the same price though you might give the V-star 1300 a look too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I literally traded my 900 for an 09 Nomad 1700 3 days ago! While they are both great bikes, they are also totally different bikes. The 900 was a great first bike to learn how to ride on. The 1700 is a bike to ride! The Nomad is a lot more bike and any way you look at it. If you are on the smaller size physically, you really should be careful of the 1700. Someone here mentioned the 1300 V-Star. I looked at one too and found it to be actually smaller than the 900.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have owned many makes and models of motorcycles over the years. My last one was a Yamaha 1700 Road star. I thought it was a great bike until I went to the 2012 Voyager. The 1700 Voyager is a heavy bike no doubt about it and I don't like pushing that much weight around when the engine is off, but under power the torque and handling is far superior in every way. This bike is like butter to drive and has done things I never thought any bike this size could do especially at slow speeds. It is still making me smile when I get into a difficult maneuver and the bike just takes me through it so easily. I am glad to put up with the weight when it rides and handles like this Voyager does. Great bike!

·
Registered
702 Posts

I did the exact move that you are contemplating a couple years ago. I no longer have the 1700 and wish I had kept the 900, they are fantastic bikes. Like others have said, make sure you check the ECU recall and keep in mind the options for accessories are much more limited vs what's available for the 900. Also, you most likely will notice throttle stuttering/lag that was mentioned and I've heard Rays throttle mod is the answer although I never installed it on mine.

I found the 1700 to be very powerful but also a little too cumbersome for the type of riding that I do, mostly jaunts around town. If you do buy the 1700 you will most likely want to replace the stock seat with something much more comfortable. I still have my Mustang Daytripper seat from my 1700 Classic that has very few miles on it that I will sell you dirt cheap if interested.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't do it, stay with your 900. Last year I downsized from a 2009 1700 Classic LT to a new 2013 900 Classic LT. The main reason was because of the 1700 gearbox, it was very clunky to a point it was not enjoyable to ride. Make sure you take the 1700 for a good long ride before buying. The 2009 models are known for a very clunky gearbox from 1-2. I think they fixed that in the 2011 models.

My 900 is a dream to ride especially after installing a larger front sprocket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had many bikes over the years. Started on dirt bikes as a kid, moved to sport bikes riding track days then took a break to raise a family. I got back into riding with an 06 1500 Classic which was fun around town and for day rides, but uncomfortable for longer rides. Traded it in for an 09 Nomad which was not as nimble in traffic, but more comfortable for longer rides. I found that I like touring most as don't trust the aggressive drivers in the city. My wife and I now take week long tours several times a summer and traded for a 2012 Voyager. It's perfect for long tours, but a pig in the city traffic. My point is that you should try and match your bike to your riding style.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's input. I got the chance to take the 09 1700 for a test drive yesterday. While I enjoyed the gearing my overall impression was that the weight and power of the bike was too much of a tradeoff for the handling of the 900. While the cornering was decent, I didn't like the increased stopping distance of it. I also noticed the difficulty of the gearbox as well.

I think I have decided that when I upgrade I will go with another brand. And that sucks because my vn900 is a beast.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the VV 2010 with ABS and have et to have any one out stop me. ABS system really lets you apply the brakes with out worries.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My opinion is that you should ride the smallest bike you can get away with riding. I don't mean smallest engine, I mean a bike that physically fits you.

I do not understand folks who buy bikes that they cannot handle without lowering the bike.

Meatwad. Take a look at the Mean Streak. Great motorcycle. Sure they don't make it anymore, but you can find '08s with very low mileage out there. A lot of aftermarket as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I didn't like the increased stopping distance of it. I also noticed the difficulty of the gearbox as well.

I don't think the 9 brakes are that good so the bike you tested must have been a real hog. As for the gears - most big v-twins have clunky gearboxes. Maybe different oil would help that. I noticed going to semi-synth made the 9 gearbox a lot sweeter.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hate to poo poo on the 900 but it is woefully under powered and has poor brakes, ergo's are decent. A Vstar 1100 will walk away from one and it is not a strong runner, the Vstar 1100 is also every bit as comfortable and handles as well. My son opted for the 900 over the star a couple years back. When he rides with the old guys was always behind trying to catch up and we were not drag racing by ay means. When we hit binders he had to really clamp down on them or stay back and roll in behind us. Most of the old guys are on HD with a couple Vics and a couple of Honda VTXs, the one VStar 1100 guy just moved up to a HD. Son now has my 04 Victory Kingpin and I have the Voyager.

I rode the Kingpin everywhere, around town and long trips. (51,500 miles). It got the job done as a do everything bike. I'm happy with the Voyager as it does everything but more comfy. In your case I would suggest the Star as they have the size of 900 but a lot more umph and they are priced right with a lot of used out there as well as a bazillion accessories.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hate to poo poo on the 900 but it is woefully under powered and has poor brakes, ergo's are decent. A Vstar 1100 will walk away from one and it is not a strong runner, the Vstar 1100 is also every bit as comfortable and handles as well. .
By coincidence I have a 9 and ride with a group including vstar 1100 and vstar 1300. I can confirm that both vstars will clear away from me on the highway if they want to (breaking the speed limit) and accelerate faster. I can't keep up if they try to lose me. Comfort wise they are about the same although I like the 9 for ergonomics. Brakes on the 9 are ok but could be better for sure - definately if you ride 2-up a lot (which i do). Distance between fills is a big tick for the 9. I have to always sit around waiting for my mates at the servo. I'd certainly swap the 9 for a vstar 1300 but not the 1100. The difference just isn't great enough to go back to a carb'd bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
apples to oranges

boys boys boys you are comparing two different beast.900 is a bit underpowered v the 1100 and the 1300 duh!!!!!:eek:that'd be like me comaring my 1700 to the 1100 or 1300. as far as brakes my wife's 900 has good brakes so not sure why somebody saying they aren't any good

·
Registered
547 Posts
We can agree to disagree... the 900 brakes suck, my personal experience riding my sons 900.

I have been riding better than 40 years. Have totaled 2 bikes and have 100,000's of miles on about 15-20 different bikes. After getting my Kingpin, which has spectacular brakes, my kid knows the difference.

The 900 is a solid overall performer for what it is intended to be. It's a lightweight entry level/next step up/step down tweener platform. My son has 26,000 miles on the 900 it's overall a good easy pace cruiser. It's easy to handle, comfy and doesn't overwhelm you. I've seen guys riding them as the step down from the heavy weights and can see myself doing that when I can't handle the weight of the VV in a few years. However, there are better bikes out there for similar dollars. It really comes down to what speaks to you...

When the kid bought the 900 he had a Star 1100 in his sights but it came down to color and the options that were on it. He got the LT which is a BARGAIN price point. At $6300 new he could not pass up. The 1100 was about same price year old, but color was not great. The 900 spoke to him..

:)

gb

1 - 20 of 28 Posts