Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know size of car tire that can replace stock tire without modification? Getting really tired (get it) of buying expensive mcy tires so often and heard this is a viable alternative.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
big foot for a big bear.

Anybody know size of car tire that can replace stock tire without modification? Getting really tired (get it) of buying expensive mcy tires so often and heard this is a viable alternative.
redbear, most any car tire from 190R60/16 thru 225R50/16 have been fitted to this stock rim and swing arm with no clearance issues. I'v read elsewhere somebody squeezed in a 235.? mighty big rubber. here are pix of my 205R65/16. here is that 235, but the bike shop wouldn't mount it on this 6.5"rim. said it was too fat for that skinny rim. out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
correcto mundo, its a sixer. the inside part, where the tire fits.

g00f'rs, just rember that when you get to them corners,,, dont forget to turn!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info, that'll be my next tire. this web site is a wealth of info, really glad its here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Darkside Noob

Just joined the ranks of the Darkside 5 days ago. Had a Eagle GT 215/60 mounted to my 2004 V2K. One of 4 choices on tirerack.com in the ultra high performance category. The eagle looked like it had better shoulder tread than the others. Started out at 45lbs. Rode about 80 miles. Really tracked the road and had to lean hard when coming up on the tire shoulder. Dropped the pressure to 35lbs. Huge difference. Tire still trails behind the seat a bit but will get used to it I am sure. Am at 30lbs now and no problems. Will go to 32lbs next. I don't regret crossing to the darkside at all.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Please keep the info and updates coming. I am very seriously considering going there myself. At $200.00+ per tire for motorcycle tires, this is getting expensive. I am on number 4 rear tire right now. Had the bike since February and just rolled over 20K miles. I am wearing the crap outa rear tires.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
are you suggesting we buy stock in metzeler?

Please keep the info and updates coming. I am very seriously considering going there myself. At $200.00+ per tire for motorcycle tires, this is getting expensive. I am on number 4 rear tire right now. Had the bike since February and just rolled over 20K miles. I am wearing the crap outa rear tires.
cp, yowzer! thas spensive hobby you got there. but have been there, done that. I got me a michelin hydroedge 90k tire for hiway work. Also picked up a deal at www.cyclegear.com 240rear/150front for <$3bills. so I went bought 2 pair/sets. I use them for canyon carving as thems rear go fast. I do get 10k out of em. but then am only one up at a buck eighty, go figure? out, ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
cp, yowzer! thas spensive hobby you got there. but have been there, done that. I got me a michelin hydroedge 90k tire for hiway work. Also picked up a deal at www.cyclegear.com 240rear/150front for <$3bills. so I went bought 2 pair/sets. I use them for canyon carving as thems rear go fast. I do get 10k out of em. but then am only one up at a buck eighty, go figure? out, ponch
I ride one up at 280 lbs and keep my eye on tire pressure like a hawk. Still wears rear tires out like crazy. How does the Michelin work out on twisty roads? I don't want to be changing tires every time I change where I ride.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I ride one up at 280 lbs and keep my eye on tire pressure like a hawk. Still wears rear tires out like crazy. How does the Michelin work out on twisty roads? I don't want to be changing tires every time I change where I ride.
cp, the only reason I went back to a mc tire is cus they was cheap nuff. I was needing new front and picked up on the deal. my plan is two seperate rear wheels. I will run the metz for daily rides round these parts and switch out rear wheels when/if I tour on this rig.
As for cutting up the corners, the mich gave me no problems. differnt, yes. but cuts corners just as hard and sure as the mc's. the diff is that mc turn in faster. the car tire requires a bit more dedicated steering input. There is a learning curve to get comfortable and then aggressive with this new/diff steering feedback.
The naysayer's among us will pooh-pooh the concept inasmuch as they dont know what they'r talking about and just imagine that it is all wrong. I cant say I'd blame them, 'cept they talk what they dont know. If you decide to "try" this solution, best take it ez at first. Then as you progress with your degree of "trust" you will find that the tires will cut up a road. it's not the tire that is the weak link, but rather your willingness to push it. You will be dragging hardware b4 you ever run out of rubber. Air Pressure is key to good cornering. Many guys like em softer so they drop in faster. I like them firm'r so they dont squiggle-squirm. Because of the profile you do get more rear end (bumpsteer) at low speed. Once you learn it, it becomes mute. Hope this helps. out, ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
cp, the only reason I went back to a mc tire is cus they was cheap nuff. I was needing new front and picked up on the deal. my plan is two seperate rear wheels. I will run the metz for daily rides round these parts and switch out rear wheels when/if I tour on this rig.
As for cutting up the corners, the mich gave me no problems. differnt, yes. but cuts corners just as hard and sure as the mc's. the diff is that mc turn in faster. the car tire requires a bit more dedicated steering input. There is a learning curve to get comfortable and then aggressive with this new/diff steering feedback.
The naysayer's among us will pooh-pooh the concept inasmuch as they dont know what they'r talking about and just imagine that it is all wrong. I cant say I'd blame them, 'cept they talk what they dont know. If you decide to "try" this solution, best take it ez at first. Then as you progress with your degree of "trust" you will find that the tires will cut up a road. it's not the tire that is the weak link, but rather your willingness to push it. You will be dragging hardware b4 you ever run out of rubber. Air Pressure is key to good cornering. Many guys like em softer so they drop in faster. I like them firm'r so they dont squiggle-squirm. Because of the profile you do get more rear end (bumpsteer) at low speed. Once you learn it, it becomes mute. Hope this helps. out, ponch
Ponch, it does help quite a bit and thanks for your input. When I have to put another rear tire on I'm gonna go with something with a bit more life expectancy.

One more question: You referred to "bumpsteer", what is bumpsteer in your own words?

·
Registered
24 Posts
v2k tire mileage

....Have put 7000 miles on mine since buying it in February with 9000 miles on the odometer and with new tires. Had to replace that tire at what seemed too short a time. Was thinking the tire was not as new as said. The second tire, another dunlop dr251, was showing the cords after only 2500 miles over the summer. Therefore, The Darkside.
....I can still scrape the floorboards with the eagle GT on corners with or without the wife weighing the tail down. Can only think soft rubber motorcycle tires were for the light bikes of old.
.... Just ordered a 150/80 rear for the front. There was only one at Dennis Kirk. Does that make me double dark?
....Think I might be ramblin' so.........

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
From researchign the term bump steer I have determined that it refers to the tendency of a car tire to make the bike harder to turn or to try to come out of a turn thereby requiring the increased force to keep it in the turn.

This is greatly simplified according to lots of articles I read cause there is lots of physics involved and we all know how engineers are. They love to hear their own voices and impress others with their own intelligence. KISS principle does not apply here.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bump steer vs. bum steer

From researchign the term bump steer I have determined that it refers to the tendency of a car tire to make the bike harder to turn or to try to come out of a turn thereby requiring the increased force to keep it in the turn.
not so, lil urchin. whatever research you was turning up that is what we refer to as a Bum Steer.
"Bump" steer happens at very low speeds, ie. walking or slowing down to stop. Any irregularities in the pavement can be felt at the steering because the profile of the rear tire is attempting to wrench the whole bike a little bit out of the otherwise intended path. The bigger the pavement irregularities, the more annoying the bump-steer is. Once you are aware of it, you either avoid nasty patches in the pavement or expect to counter the bump with diff steer input.

w/o beating the subject to death and creating lots of controversy (can't believe I just wrote that?) Car Tires require a tad bit more steering input at lower speeds. Once you are up an running at anything other than a crawl, the steering becomes as natural as w/ mc tires. Most of the learning curve is forgetting that its is there. It happens soon enough. At first you are aware of it and constantly thinking about how its is behaving and what you should do in any/every circumstance. Then when you are not paying attention and actually riding your bike and thinking about other things... you come to the place where you accept that this here tire goes round just like any other,,,, so what was all the fuss about in the first place? dunno? out, ponch

·
Registered
62 Posts
Car tire

I've been running a 215/55r16 continental conti pro tire for 10,000 miles. It fits well with no interferance. It still more than 50% tread on it. I only got 7000 - 7500 out of the metzlers. Dont worry about cornering. At first it feels a little weird, but very soon you don't notice anything. You always have more tire on the road no matter how far you lean it. I can drag my foot pads & never touch the sidewall of the tire. The traction is great. I wont be buying a bike tire again

·
Registered
24 Posts
speedometer accuracy

Went with a 215/60 because with the 200/60 the speedometer read 80 when doing 75. Doing the math;215-200=15, 15 divided by 200 = .075 or 7.5% greater circumference, .075 x 75 = 5.625, 75+5.625=80.625. Should read 80mph when doing 80mph.(or there about)

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Okay, thank all of you who have responded with good information. I can see a Darkside episode in my near future. Now I just need to figger out which one I want to go with.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
luke... haa, haa .... i am yor fahhhthaarrr. NNNNOOO!

Okay, thank all of you who have responded with good information. I can see a Darkside episode in my near future. Now I just need to figger out which one I want to go with.
cp, welcome to the darkside of the force. unlike some who are adamnant that their choice(s) are more perfect and permanent, keep in mind that you can always go back. I do. ride all types of bikes n tires. even that three eyed... er, wheeled monster triek. its fun. try something different ever now n then and see if it worx for you. if you dont like it, not like you got a tattoo or disease.. or maybe somes 'fraid they will like it.. and have to admit it? or not. nothing wrong with trying. out, ponch

1 - 20 of 34 Posts