Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I put the BAK & power commander 3 on my bike last Spring. I also had it dynoed to perfection! The bike was awesome all summer. I could cruise all day long at 80-85 smooth as can be.
I noticed about a month ago that the bike all of a sudden without any changes made to the bike, started popping big time on deceleration, idle no longer consistant and can only take the bike up to around 70. I could go faster but the bike vibrates so bad I back off. The motor does not even sound like it use to.
I took it to the dealer Saturday morning to let them check it out. One of the guys took it out for a ride and came back to say that the bike seems fine to him. He said thats the way the bike should run. I STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!
I dont even like riding it anymore. Either I am taking the BAK & PC3 off or selling my bike. There is no way I would have bought a bike I cant ride on the freeway. I bought a cruiser to cruise. Why is it so rough to ride now? The bike only has 6800 miles on it and I feel like I need a new motor.
I really wish I could have the bike back the way it was before. I miss riding so much but it is such a disappointment to try to ride this bike like I use to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check your exhaust bolts. Mine had started backfiring big time, along with a lower idle. I started looking and one of my exhaust bolts had worked loose.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How long have these symptoms persisted? Is it a recent thing say maybe some bad gas?

Just a thought since the problem came up all of a sudden.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long have these symptoms persisted? Is it a recent thing say maybe some bad gas?

Just a thought since the problem came up all of a sudden.
It started about a 4-6 weeks ago. I have went through a few tanks of gas. I am just mad at myself for spending $1000.00 to make the bike the best it can be & now I will have to spend another $200.00+ to have the BAK & power commander 3 off my bike.:mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, while I am waiting at a stop light the bike now vibrates and shakes like the Harleys. I sure hope I can fix this recent change with my bike or I know I will take a big loss when I try to sell this bike. I miss riding!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check exhaust bolts like previous person said, I had similar problem before, I replaced seals and bolts and bike runs great. I love my 900!

·
Registered
78 Posts
does the pc 3 use wire taps for the tps? That could be your problem. Take the wire taps off and solder the connections.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have never understood why people take a brand new bike and start modifying the engine to gain what 3-4 hp. I'm not criticizing OP everybody seems to want to do it. I just think the gain is so minimal why do it this might happen.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have never understood why people take a brand new bike and start modifying the engine to gain what 3-4 hp. I'm not criticizing OP everybody seems to want to do it. I just think the gain is so minimal why do it this might happen.
People modify THEIR bikes because THEY want to. with most gearheads there is never a perfect production vehicle of any kind (besides a lambo or the like of course) there is always something that can be/sound/look better. they do it because they want to. its there money and they can spend it as they please.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Diff'rent strokes. My thing is comfort, convenience, and safety. I've spent zero on performance and noise, because that ain't my thing. I've spent $10 on appearance, with a chrome master cylinder cover that reflects sunlight into my eyes. A real PITA, and I'll take it off one of these days.

I've spent my money on comfort and safety (mine and the bike's)--bottle holder, driver backrest, grips, risers, highway bars, luggage rack. And after a recent night ride in the dark and rain over a mountain pass, I just bought a Jardine lightbar.

The only bike I know of that comes from the factory with all the options I like is the Nomad, and I'm not ready to go there yet. Maybe when I retire, and after they've worked the kinks out of the 1700 platform.

The guy I ride with most of the time is into noise--loud pipes, electronic siren and such. He can't pass an animal, dog, horse, cow, sheep, goat, without blasting his siren. His thing.

A large part of this passion is making our own bike perfect in our own eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Also, while I am waiting at a stop light the bike now vibrates and shakes like the Harleys. I sure hope I can fix this recent change with my bike or I know I will take a big loss when I try to sell this bike. I miss riding!
Loose or broken connections are the #1 cause of problems with the PCIII. The vampire clips provided by Dynojet simply don't hold up and either cause the wires to loosen, or worse, break some of the strands. As another poster suggested, solder the connection made to the yellow/white at the TPS when you hooked up the PC. Also check the condition of your plugs and see if they are burning clean. Unless your BAK has a seriously dirty filter, I can't see that causing the engine to run bad. Try disconnecting the PC and go back to the stock setup and see what happens. You simply need to unplug the leads going to the injectors and plug the originals back in. No need to disconnect any other wires going to the PC. You can do all of this without spending another penny and glean a lot of good info.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ya, and it's infrequent that something like this happens where I've talked to hundreds that have no problems whatsoever. I mean, if that bone stock butt killer of a stock seat works for you, ok then. But after a season and a half of riding almost every day I had to do something cuzz my butt was filing papers with my lawyer!

Just to mention one thing wrong with the stock setup.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900. I put the BAK & power commander 3 on my bike last Spring. I also had it dynoed to perfection! The bike was awesome all summer. I could cruise all day long at 80-85 smooth as can be.
I noticed about a month ago that the bike all of a sudden without any changes made to the bike, started popping big time on deceleration, idle no longer consistant and can only take the bike up to around 70. I could go faster but the bike vibrates so bad I back off. The motor does not even sound like it use to.
I took it to the dealer Saturday morning to let them check it out. One of the guys took it out for a ride and came back to say that the bike seems fine to him. He said thats the way the bike should run. I STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!
I dont even like riding it anymore. Either I am taking the BAK & PC3 off or selling my bike. There is no way I would have bought a bike I cant ride on the freeway. I bought a cruiser to cruise. Why is it so rough to ride now? The bike only has 6800 miles on it and I feel like I need a new motor.
I really wish I could have the bike back the way it was before. I miss riding so much but it is such a disappointment to try to ride this bike like I use to.
If I got this right, you now have a stock bike with no other mods but the BAK and the PC3...I'm not sure how this setup could cause you to "cruise all day long at 80-85 smooth as can be", but that's a subjective thing and I'll set it aside for now.
If your exhaust is unsullied by the joys of MOD fever, I would not expect your "exhaust pipe holder nuts" (their description, not mine) to have worked their way loose, but it's an easy thing to check. They should be torqued to 12 FT/LBS.
What I do suspect is that your bile was not "dynoed to perfection", since you did not mention having to replace your rear tire after the perfectionmeisters made enough passes with your scoot to deplete both the tread on your rear tire, and your kids college fund.
What I would do is remove the PC3 and check your plugs. Either the electrical connections for the PC3 are (or have been) faulty, your unit isn't grounded properly, or that "perfect map" might be fouling out your plugs. All are easy to check. The BAK, by itself is a non-issue. Your bike might run a little lean with it on and the PC3 off, but it won't knock and ping badly enough to shake the chrome off of all the plastic bits on your bike...
One of the good things about the PC3 is that there are probably about a jillion maps out there that have been generated by other users who share your setup - and once you prove that the unit is working correctly, and SOLDERED into place, and properly grounded, you'll be able to once again "cruise all day long at 80-85 smooth as can be..."

Just a guess....:cool:

·
Registered
742 Posts
most people i know that own 900's don't do the mods to get the added HP... the 900 is not a race bike and never will be so the added HP is barely even in the thought process?!?! ... they mod their bikes for LOOKS & for SOUND...

the only mod out there that makes sense for performance are the two pulleys to drop RPMs... everything else just makes it look and sound better.

personally, i don't understand why someone would assume that is why people are modifying their bike... you are basically point the "dumb-ass" finger at someone. i dont' give a rat's ass what the HP of my bike is... i want LOOKS, SOUND, & COMFORT! ... and you know what, I GOT IT!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Who told you 3-4 HP? I gained 11 HP after the dyno. I did not care for the 900 air cover look. I think the BAK looks so much better & I have the money to do this.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
People modify THEIR bikes because THEY want to. with most gearheads there is never a perfect production vehicle of any kind (besides a lambo or the like of course) there is always something that can be/sound/look better. they do it because they want to. its there money and they can spend it as they please.
Thank you!! I prefer to have my bike the way I want it to look and ride. Some people around here just love to be a smart @$$!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts