Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I picked it up a 2009 Voyager a few weeks ago, I ordered a backrest and hwy pegs I'm thinking about performance. Think of this as sort of a budget build. It's my understanding from way back when I built my FJ that there was a certain balance achieved through ""jetting, porting and headers"", Once I got that right the difference was quite invigorating. Reading around the forums the new way to say that is "slipons, intake and a flash or fuel control".

I've read a thread extolling "Ivan flash, Alleycat intake and Cobra slipons".

My budget thoughts on this concept would be Ivan flash, drill out the one baffle from my stock pipes and Chucksters BAK. Thus obtaining some performance while maintaining a stock look and a tight budget. What do those of you who have experience with these mods think? It's not very budget wasting money on things that don't work.

On a separate note, I wonder what's the difference between a "throttle mod" and a "Ivan Flash"? Or are they kicking the same can from a different direction? I assume there are fuel moduls we can self govern, but I don't have any knowledge about these things. Please enlighten me.

In any event, thanks for reading.
Glenn

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would do Ivans, its does everything you want and more. I really dont think its worth doing an air intake with out doing exhaust. what goes in must come out.
When you do Ivans you get the fans to come on sooner so it runs cooler and a lot of other stuff like not retarding the timing in 5th and 6th gears.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Ivans flash and air kit give the biggest increases in acceleration and overall power. Check the dyno charts at his site. Ivan has 2 flashes for the 1700, 1 with an air kit and 1 without, thats it. I don't think there is a need for the throttle-mod once you have the flash.

I have the flash and an air kit. I've run mine with stock exhaust, drilled exhaust and V&H slip-ons, and I prefer the drilled exhaust. It will red-line a little quicker with the V&H but the motor is happier at normal rpm's and pulls a full load better (at lower rpm's) with the drilled exhaust. And I've switched the exhaust back and forth at least 3 times with the same results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ivans flash and air kit give the biggest increases in acceleration and overall power. Check the dyno charts at his site. Ivan has 2 flashes for the 1700, 1 with an air kit and 1 without, thats it. I don't think there is a need for the throttle-mod once you have the flash.

I have the flash and an air kit. I've run mine with stock exhaust, drilled exhaust and V&H slip-ons, and I prefer the drilled exhaust. It will red-line a little quicker with the V&H but the motor is happier at normal rpm's and pulls a full load better (at lower rpm's) with the drilled exhaust. And I've switched the exhaust back and forth at least 3 times with the same results.
Exactly the kind of experienced insight I was looking for. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
On a separate note, I wonder what's the difference between a "throttle mod" and a "Ivan Flash"? Or are they kicking the same can from a different direction? I assume there are fuel moduls we can self govern, but I don't have any knowledge about these things. Please enlighten me.

In any event, thanks for reading.
Glenn
Ivan's is an adjustment to software controlling engine tuning and fuel parameters.
The throttle mod is a mechanical change to operation of the throttle linkage.
After Ivan's I still have some jerkiness on throttle application and lower speeds.

I did both and the results are great.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ivan's is an adjustment to software controlling engine tuning and fuel parameters.
The throttle mod is a mechanical change to operation of the throttle linkage.
After Ivan's I still have some jerkiness on throttle application and lower speeds.

I did both and the results are great.
Did you get his 3rd update that is listed on his Website?

UPDATED 9-2017 - Engraving will read "C4B" on the back of your ECU

It has taken care of this for me and is well worth having it done for just the cost of the shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts