Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an amazing deal on a 2013 Vulcan Voyager 1700 (non-ABS). I currently ride a 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic. I've been thinking about going to a full touring bike for a while, but am I jumping the gun? Are there worries going from an 800 cruiser to a 1700 touring that I should be thinking about? Any non-ABS riders please chime in too. I would love to know how safe you feel on the bike without the extra tech.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Made the switch last November from a 900 to a Vaquero. Really enjoy the bigger bike. Sometimes miss the lightness and ease of handling of the 900 but no remorse! Do the deal...you will not be sorry.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
DON"T DO IT, you will be to happy, WE don't want you to be happy!!! Hahahaha
Love my 900, love the 1700 even more!!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I went from a Suzuki 800 (M50) to a 1500 (C90) 10 years ago and never regretted it. Rides much better at interstate speeds for me. I had that for 9 years before going with the VV1700 last year. You will not regret the decision. As Akaimana says, it will be different than the lighter 800, but you will enjoy it. I love my VV1700. Practice your tight slow-speed turns in a parking lot. You will re-learn the subtleties for the bike very quickly. Enjoy it!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I noticed the bike handles slow speed maneuvers just as well, the only difference is backing up. man handling it is a little heavier. if going into a space and it's down hill, I back in, vice versa..

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Very nice. But I always wondered...how do you back these up on a slight incline?
Carefully! :D Kidding, hopefully tall enough with strong legs.. or have help pushing it back.. before stopping/ parking you evaluate the terrain. it's always a habit to just pull in, It will take awhile to look at it and back in letting gravity help.. then motor out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nice. But I always wondered...how do you back these up on a slight incline?
Carefully!
Kidding, hopefully tall enough with strong legs.. or have help pushing it back.. before stopping/ parking you evaluate the terrain. it's always a habit to just pull in, It will take awhile to look at it and back in letting gravity help.. then motor out.

My main obstacle will be parking in my own garage. The road I live on has a significant slope and I have a short, steep driveway that is uphill at a right angle from that. Should be an adventure coming home.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I went from an 800 (Suzuki C50T) to a 1700 (Voyager) back in 2009. There's no question that I love the 1700 for it's comfort and ride. But, I must admit I do miss a smaller bike that I could easily toss into a turn. The 1700 is certainly not as nimble as a smaller bike, and since I'm on the shorter side (5'8"), it would be nice to be able to put my feet firmly down on Mother Earth. That being said, I would do it all over again.....the 1700 is a pretty sweet ride.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Don't think.Do.
went from 900 classic to 2010 nomad,,,,what a ride,also bought it at a hd dealer,know they didn't want it on their floor,got a good deal,love this bike,freakn awesome on the highway

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I went from a 2009 Vstar 1300 to the 2013 Voyager 1700, non-ABS with a 2 to 3 year layover. I love the Voyager but it was a significant change. It is even more of a change riding 2 up. I'm sure some of it is due to my butt being built too close to the ground. As far as the ABS, I have never had a bike with ABS so I don't know the difference. Have you priced the new Voyager 1700 Non-ABS bikes? I think I got a pretty good deal on it too. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision. Again, I really love my Voyager 1700.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I did almost exactly what you talking about. DO IT!!!! I went from a 05 800b to a 12 Voyager, but with ABS. Figured would ride a week or so to get used to the extra weight before the wife got on with me. Rode 35 miles home, asked her if she wanted togo for a ride and she heads for the 800. I said "Dont you want to ride the new one?" Never looked back. I kept the 800, have only put about 2500 miles on it since 2 years ago this coming July. If still has stock tires, the back will need replacing around 7k, the front around 11k, depending on roads and how you ride it. Keep eye on them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I upgraded from a 2007 Suzuki M50 (which I loved) to a 2013 Voyager this past March. I am very, very happy with the upgrade. The comfortable ride on the Voyager is great. It took me a few rides to get used to the bigger size, weight and different feel when shifting, braking, etc. but 600+ miles later I'm used to it and I feel as confident riding it as I did with the smaller bike. Although I will agree that it is more difficult to maneuver in the garage/backing up as others have already mentioned. Good luck with you decision!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Son just picked up an 09 Nomad with a Reckless fairing on it. $7300 has 10000 miles on it.
Coming from a 900Lt. He already loves it. The extra room for the GF is appreciated,. The 900 was adequate. The extra motor and room is what he was after...

I know where one can get a real nice 900LT with nice hardbags belwo $4500....
Northern Indiana area...

Gary

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a better deal. 2013 Nomad for under 11 -NEW! Financed for less than half of the percentage rate I walked in with. Looking forward to riding this beast home. Ended up selling the 800 since this will be the new bagger, but used that extra cash for a new helmet and some other accessories.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Found a better deal. 2013 Nomad for under 11 -NEW! Financed for less than half of the percentage rate I walked in with. Looking forward to riding this beast home. Ended up selling the 800 since this will be the new bagger, but used that extra cash for a new helmet and some other accessories.
Awesome. . But.. you know. . It's not true with out pics

·
Registered
77 Posts
Voyager

There is an amazing deal on a 2013 Vulcan Voyager 1700 (non-ABS). I currently ride a 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic. I've been thinking about going to a full touring bike for a while, but am I jumping the gun? Are there worries going from an 800 cruiser to a 1700 touring that I should be thinking about? Any non-ABS riders please chime in too. I would love to know how safe you feel on the bike without the extra tech.
Not sure if you have pulled the gun on this bike yet but I can offer my two cents - I bought a 2014 ABS new last year, love the bike apart from the clunky gear change, but it is a V-twin after All!

Agree with some of the posts, definitely go to a car park and practice, practice, practice riding in tight circles, I used the parking spaces as my guide, even this year after the snow here I went and did the same again as a refresher. You need to feather the back brake as you turn and DON'T get it on full lock moving slowly - ever!
It is 900lb unloaded, I've nearly dropped mine twice for the above reason.

I've put 5000 miles on mine and planning a big tour this July across to Montana which is a 5200 mile ride.

Looks like this has plenty of accessories, I'm not keen ever on the luggage rack on the top box, they are not that strong in my opinion.

Stock seat is not the most comfortable, instead of changing out as I couldn't justify the cost yet I bought a black sheepskin, fantastic difference to the comfort.

Interesting the Kawasaki decal appears to missing from the tank? May be just the photo.

Mine is ABS and I've used it once already but saying that every bike I have ridden prior, last 30 years has had just normal braking. I'm traditionally a street bike guy but getting old!!

Wife loves the Voyager and I take my 12 year old every where on it.

Hope that helps some, if you've committed enjoy it !!

Russ

1 - 20 of 28 Posts