Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about doing the euro gears on my 08 Vulcan 2000

But I want to make sure that I get the correct parts for my 08!
What years are these parts good for ? Will they work for an 08?

I found the parts for: $227.00 Seems Reasonable for what everyone says.

Kawasaki - GEAR,TRANSFER,44T
Item: 16085-0027
Kawasaki - GEAR,TRANSFER,48T
Item: 16085-0033
Kawasaki - GASKET,TRANSMISSION,INSIDE
Item: 11061-0017
Kawasaki - GASKET,TRANSMISSION,OUTSIDE
Item: 11061-0018

Its a LONG winter up in Minnesota !! Will give me something to do !!
Also If anyone has a idea how much it should cost labor wise to do this for me!
If I get the parts .. or if anyone wants to make a few bucks doing it for me !
Let me know ~

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am thinking about doing the euro gears on my 08 Vulcan 2000

But I want to make sure that I get the correct parts for my 08!
What years are these parts good for ? Will they work for an 08?

I found the parts for: $227.00 Seems Reasonable for what everyone says.

Its a LONG winter up in Minnesota !! Will give me something to do !!
Also If anyone has a idea how much it should cost labor wise to do this for me!
If I get the parts .. or if anyone wants to make a few bucks doing it for me !
Let me know ~
Can't help you but I can ask a question. What do you expect this change to do for you specifically?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help you but I can ask a question. What do you expect this change to do for you specifically?
Well I do a lot of highway driving and I have a VTX 1800 And Now a Vn2000
And Both seem to need a "6th Gear" The highway speeds up here are 70+++ LOL

From what I have read .. this "mod" really helps with lowering the rpms.
And makes 1st and 2nd semi usable.

Like I said its a long winter and I have enough time and money and know how.
to make this happen so I figure what the hell ! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Well I do a lot of highway driving and I have a VTX 1800 And Now a Vn2000
And Both seem to need a "6th Gear" The highway speeds up here are 70+++ LOL

From what I have read .. this "mod" really helps with lowering the rpms.
And makes 1st and 2nd semi usable.

Like I said its a long winter and I have enough time and money and know how.
to make this happen so I figure what the hell ! LOL
This is correct. In other countries, VN2Ks get taller gears. Basically, all the gears last longer. 1st gear is worthless in the US version of the VN2K, the Euro Gears make it significantly more usable.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
This is correct. In other countries, VN2Ks get taller gears. Basically, all the gears last longer. 1st gear is worthless in the US version of the VN2K, the Euro Gears make it significantly more usable.
By original design It is the proper ratio for this motor and makes ALL the gears significantly mor better, 5th is now an overdrive hiway gear. No need for 6th.

·
Registered
232 Posts
But can it still do a throttle wheelie?

Just kidding, sort of. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By original design It is the proper ratio for this motor and makes ALL the gears significantly mor better, 5th is now an overdrive hiway gear. No need for 6th.
poncho .. Do you know if these will work in my 08 ?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
poncho .. Do you know if these will work in my 08 ?
all models, all years, v2k use the same gear numbers.

washers.. some fellas put very thin shims between the gears and the bearings thinking they can quiet down the "Kah'chunk" when shifting. It doesn't because that's not where that sound is emanating from. It's from all the HD straight cut gears in the tranny. These are not tranny gears, these are final drive gears (fixed) that transfer output power from rite side to left side of bike. poncho

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't just put shims, I put the washers listed and shown on the parts break down. It's not the klunk when shifting that this eliminates it is the low speed clatter coming from transfer gears being lose on the shaft.

I'll be glad to come to Minnesota to do this from free for you. All you'll need to do is provide the airfare, whiskey, parts and tools.

Ponch will probably do it for some cheap ass beer and a bus ticket.

Ride Safe!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ponch will probably do it for some cheap ass beer and a bus ticket. Ride Safe!
ww,, mor better.. save the bus tikett! Ride or truk yor v2k south to tejas. Me n som these kawboys will have a gettyup and commence to dismantlin yor beasty bike while you watch and fetch beers. We'll have thems new gears in ther 4 you can say "omg shim me".
Now bein south an warm(er) an all fixed up like, us kawboys will ride with you roun these here parts so as you mite reconsider heading bak nort into the land of frozen white death. We mite accompany ya to the border, but no further than red river as we have our rep'tation an standards.. we don't do Kold n ice riding.
chew on it.. poncho
btw, we gotts the tools here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I litterally Just changed mine out a week ago, and finally got the bike right i did other mods at the same time. And i can contest not only does this help with lowering RPMS at high speeds but it makes the first 3 gears useful especially first. The bike seems to run through the gears so much smoother and its easier to really get into it and shift quickly with out ripping the tire loose or babing the clutch. Absolutlly worth it. My wife was on the back yesterday she got off and was supprised how smooth it is now.

Just a heads up though. it is not the easiest porject. My bike i had to pull the radiator, to get the exhaust, had to pull the regulators to drain the radiator, had to pull the right floor board to get to the regs. and move the rear master cycler to get the covers off. But i need to change out the coolant and oil anyway. VN2000.com has a decent write up, but i does not give any justice to the fact that the speed sensor spacer that needs to be removed is by far the hardest part. go buy a 5mm allen wrech and take a grinder to it cut the short side shorter then i stuck it in a vice and bent it well over 90° so i could get it in the bolt. Over all it was not to bad just time consuming but good wrench therapy.

Have plenty of rags on hand and save your oil to run back through before you change your oil filter and put new oil in.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Just a heads up though. it is not the easiest porject.
rt,, have no idea watt you went thru the left side of bike to do a rite side job.?
I changed mine 6yrs ago by myself.. well Sfair kicked in a penny to bust loose the front Nutt.
I wrench on dozens skoots of all mfgs and find this kaw to be the most EZ simplest peice o cake to work on.
yeah loose the rite front floor board, no need to dismantle it. The exhaust system comes rite off. ok the rad shroud, not that radiator is a bit in the way of the front exhaust bolt, its a work around.
Drain the coolant? there is a drain plug under the rite side frame member.
Gas tank removal. Iv got mine down to a 5 min routine. 1 bolt, 2 hoses, 4 el connectors. radiator cap on top for refill.
yes, drain your oil and refill. Be sure to cover up the holes in the gear cases so you dont drop a nut into the tranny. yikes!
Speedo sensor is the hardest item to get to. cut down 5mm allen wrench makes it simpler. bust it loose and you can turn it out with needle nose pliers.

it took me all of 4 hours including :beer: stops to enjoy the project and get instructions from Sfair. ponchout

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Everyone for the Info !

You Guys are funny as hell!
Well .. I ordered the parts !

I have been wrenching on cars for 30+ years ( backyard mechanic stuff )
But in all honesty have not wrenched on a bike for 30+ years LOL

So this will be a "Interesting" Project for me!

Sounds and looks to be kind of a BIG project but then not really.
So I guess we will see how it goes .. I am sure it will take more then 4 hours LOL

Since this is my first time my plan is to do the DIS-Assembly 1-day ..
Clean and Prep Parts 1-day .. Re-Assembly 1-day ..
Most likely 2-4 hours a day!

I guess my greatest fear is that I get everything back together and we have leaks !!

Did you guys use any Gasket Sealants - Permatex ???

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would sugest trying to get everything off and the gears switched out and get the cover back on, in one sitting. The thought of the engine open to the possiblity to something getting into it unknowingly just did not sit well with me. Upon dis-assembly kawi used something on the gasket so i did the same. No leaks thus far.

Did seem like it would of been easier to go from the other side. I have fatty highway bars, and britt motorsports exhaust. i just could not get a wrench or socket on with out pulling the radiator forward, then even doing that i had to use a swivel head.

But its not really that difficult. I did have my better half come out to help when it was time to remove the gears them self. I did it by hand with a breaker bar. had her push on the socket and make sure i did not come flying off and round the nut.

Enjoy.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ww, NO. permatex. gaskets are sufficient. take your time. enjoy the process.
be sure to titen the inner cover bolts - coolant pump. the outer cover covers them up. I kept thinking "did I titen them?".. never had a leak in all these years an smiles.. either musta or jus dam lucky?

its 'bout a 4:beer: job. you can probly milk it for six if yor slow and take a nap tween strip n close up.

hardest part for me was gettin the front Left Hand thread nut to bust loose. factory is set for some thousand pound tork setting? I used a 2ft 1/2" breaker bar and couldnt budge it. Sfair chipped in his penny trik to "carefully insert tween the gear teeth". hold it with side cuts, be sure to Tape Close those holes in the case, you do NOT want to drop the penny into yor tranny.
with the gears locked together with soft copper penny (see bent) the 2ft breaker bar eased that front Nutt loose like it was butter. kold butter. not the warm greasy stuff.

Take a bunch of digi pix each step of the way. when yor done, post (another) step by step process of this for the next bunch of fellas who are gonna ask how its done. which gear numbers. how much. how long. how hard was it. how many :beer:s? You get to be the new goto gear guy.. give us ol guys a break.. ponchout

·
Registered
228 Posts
gear ratio whats good whats not

Ok so not to beat a dea horse but i have a buddy whom also has a V2k he's not on here but i told him about how much i like my bike after switching out to Eruo gears.
He was not all to into due to the price tag. so he did some reasearch and found where someone on the delphi fourmn had came up with this chart.
What is your guys opinions on this. Reverseing the US stock gears seems like a step drop in gear ratio.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ok so not to beat a dea horse but i have a buddy whom also has a V2k he's not on here but i told him about how much i like my bike after switching out to Eruo gears.
He was not all to into due to the price tag. so he did some reasearch and found where someone on the delphi fourmn had came up with this chart.
What is your guys opinions on this. Reverseing the US stock gears seems like a step drop in gear ratio.
rt,, stock US final drive gears are 42 x 50. gear ratio as is 1: 1.19.

euro gear (correct kaw gears as per mfg) 44 x 48. gear ratio is 1: 1.09
approx 10% improvement.

stock US gears in reverse order 50 x 42, final gear ratio would be 1: 0.84
represents a 30-40% change.

while that may be ideal for say running Bonneville trying to attain Top Speed, it would be Totally impractical for any kind of street riding.

and to boot, the speedo sensor would need to be modified greatly to read the teeth of that 42 final drive gear.. No, its not a bonifide solution, no matter how cheap your buddy is.. he cant pony up $250bux?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ya makes sense i was thininking the same thing end up burning up the clutch if your in any knid of traffic stop and go, and forget about the mnts.
not sure why hes bulking at the price seem reasonanble to me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts