Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly getting a 2017 leftover, Vulcan S Cafe ABS with the needed extended reach package.

For those that have this model, (Im 6'2) do you find the extended reach package is helpful plus the usual questions: good ride, comfortable, no back issues, handles well, etc.

Plus positives and negatives

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Initially yes, but the extended reach reach, as any other stock seat will not support you in the long run. This is a stiff suspension ride, good for short bursts around town but anything longer than an hour on the highway results in sone everlasting pain. The viewing angle of the rear mirrors requires immediate modifications. Many of us are dropping the S, for more comfortable rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I agree with Tex. I love the Vulcan S. It's an all around Fun Bike to run around in. The Extended Reach seat is the most "comfortable" of the OEM seats since it does have a thin Gel Layer. That said the OEM Seats are good for about an hour in the saddle after that you will definitely have to get off for a butt break. I do have the Corbin Seat (Thanks to Texas Nurse) and while it is a lot more comfortable it does push you more forward and has a similar riding position to the Mid Reach Seat. (as far as reach goes) It does feel a tad cramped to me an I am only 6'1" with a 32 inseam. There is a solution which I may go for. The R&G extender plates which gives you the option to move the pegs forward 1 or 2 inches from the extended reach position which you will need with the Corbin seat especially at your height. Overall the bike handles very well and it is pretty zippy. Not Super Fast so if you are looking for a pocket rocket, this isn't it. It's a fun bike but it is no touring bike. The Parallel Twin engine revs twice as high as any conventional V-Twin which on the highway can get to you especially if you have aftermarket pipes which makes matters worse. I maybe looking for an alternative choice myself in the spring. Just don't know if I can afford it yet. Good Luck with the Vulcan S. It is a great starter bike.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you got long legs and are a tad heavy, I’d at least look for a 900 Vulcan. Especially if you want to do any highway trips. More aftermarket support for that bike also and belt drive, v-twin etc.
The parallel twin in the Vulcan S is like having a couple of jars of bees strapped underneath the tank or a big palm sander. Lol!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here's what I'd recommend (at least it worked beautifully for me).

I'm 5-11 and 200 lbs. and have little natural padding in the butt area. The stock seats on the Vulcan S are total crap. On the mid-reach, I could ride no more than 20 miles before I was in serious pain. I then got the extended reach seat with the gel pad, which is MUCH more comfortable than the mid-reach. Now I could do 50 miles before I felt SERIOUS pain in my ass, but I least I more than doubled my distance.

The cure for me? Ordered a Corbin seat and a Hepco and Becker driver's backrest/rack combo and my world changed. Last week I rode 250 miles in one stretch (less filling up the tank) with ZERO discomfort whatsoever.

I would highly recommend adding these to the 2017 if you get one. Problem is the Corbin will push you about an inch forward which will create the effect of going back to a mid-reach footpeg effect. The easy solution would be to put on crash bars with some highway pegs to be able to stretch out now and then BUT you can't mount bars on a KVS with footpegs in the extended reach position. Design flaw!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you got long legs and are a tad heavy, I’d at least look for a 900 Vulcan. Especially if you want to do any highway trips. More aftermarket support for that bike also and belt drive, v-twin etc.
The parallel twin in the Vulcan S is like having a couple of jars of bees strapped underneath the tank or a big palm sander. Lol!
True, but those are some damned fast, strong bees! :)

I seriously considered going the Vulcan 900 route, but dropped the idea when I learned ABS was not available. I won't ride anything two-wheeled without ABS anymore.

YMMV.

·
Registered
902 Posts
True, but those are some damned fast, strong bees! :)

I seriously considered going the Vulcan 900 route, but dropped the idea when I learned ABS was not available. I won't ride anything two-wheeled without ABS anymore.

YMMV.
Yes, strange. The only cruiser they have in the line up with ABS not available. The 900 is a way nicer cruiser than the KVS however. The custom is especially sweet. I would have had one, but I couldn’t get as good a deal as I could on the KVS’s they couldn’t sell. Anyways, stepping away from the cruisers for the future. Been there, done that :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Here's what I'd recommend (at least it worked beautifully for me).

I would highly recommend adding these to the 2017 if you get one. Problem is the Corbin will push you about an inch forward which will create the effect of going back to a mid-reach footpeg effect. The easy solution would be to put on crash bars with some highway pegs to be able to stretch out now and then BUT you can't mount bars on a KVS with footpegs in the extended reach position. Design flaw!

Best of luck!
I do have the foot pegs in the extended reach position and the R&G Adventure bars. I know the Hepco&Becker use the extended reach bolt holes and some other cheap Chinese models do to but I believe the Puig one doesn't and for sure the R&G one which I have definitely works with the Extended Reach foot Pegs and I am sure it will work with the Extender brackets as well.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I didn't realize R&G would work. Thanks for setting me straight!

Where can I find them for the lowest price? I just checked Amazon and couldn't find them.

Thanks all!

I bought mine from them directly. Shipping was pretty quick considering they come from the UK. I would have never put a Highway bar on my bike if it would interfere with the Extended Reach Position. I have enough trouble with the Corbin and the Extended Reach. If I had to move it back an inch I would be eating my knees :grin2:
Hey, I just checked Revzilla. They do have them in stock and they ship faster than R&G :wink2: Now don't get sticker shock since they are not the cheapest beast in town. But they are one of the easiest to install. Took me less than an hour and for me that is a milestone since I am very particular and OCD about stuff. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-adventure-bars-kawaski-vulcan-s-2015-2017
Ordering directly from R&G would be about 314 USD including shipping. Not sure if it is worth the 9 dollar difference :wink2:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Adventure_Bars/Kawasaki/Vulcan_S/AB0017BK/

Oh, and don't go by the negative review on the bars on Revzilla. It isn't even for the Vulcan S but the Triumph Tiger. So only read the Positive review by yours truly :grin2:

·
Registered
494 Posts
As noted above, the stock seat is crap but is my only complaint with the bike. I had mine modified though, which is far cheaper than the Corbin alternative, and once broken in my butt was much happier. Note that I have the mid-reach seat and I'm 5'10" and weigh 2-much (235 lbs).

Most of my rides are in the 2-4 hour range though I will go out all day from time-to-time. I confess that it was rough going on the stock seat at first but again now that it was modified I'm good to go on any length ride.

It's a great bike and I'm very pleased with my decision. In the end I guess the best endorsement I can give is that if I had to do it again I absolutely would!!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
As noted above, the stock seat is crap but is my only complaint with the bike. I had mine modified though, which is far cheaper than the Corbin alternative, and once broken in my butt was much happier. Note that I have the mid-reach seat and I'm 5'10" and weigh 2-much (235 lbs).

Most of my rides are in the 2-4 hour range though I will go out all day from time-to-time. I confess that it was rough going on the stock seat at first but again now that it was modified I'm good to go on any length ride.

It's a great bike and I'm very pleased with my decision. In the end I guess the best endorsement I can give is that if I had to do it again I absolutely would!!
Who modified your seat? I have a Modified Mid Reach seat as well but it just didn't give me the reach that I need so I have a modified seat laying around. Whoever buys my bike will get 3 different seats. Corbin, Extended Reach and Modified Mid Reach. Mine was modified by Mean City Cycles.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought mine from them directly. Shipping was pretty quick considering they come from the UK. I would have never put a Highway bar on my bike if it would interfere with the Extended Reach Position. I have enough trouble with the Corbin and the Extended Reach. If I had to move it back an inch I would be eating my knees :grin2:
Hey, I just checked Revzilla. They do have them in stock and they ship faster than R&G :wink2: Now don't get sticker shock since they are not the cheapest beast in town. But they are one of the easiest to install. Took me less than an hour and for me that is a milestone since I am very particular and OCD about stuff. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-adventure-bars-kawaski-vulcan-s-2015-2017
Ordering directly from R&G would be about 314 USD including shipping. Not sure if it is worth the 9 dollar difference :wink2:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Adventure_Bars/Kawasaki/Vulcan_S/AB0017BK/

Oh, and don't go by the negative review on the bars on Revzilla. It isn't even for the Vulcan S but the Triumph Tiger. So only read the Positive review by yours truly :grin2:
Thanks Tom! I just ordered the R&G crash bars and highway pegs from Twisted Throttle. Should be here by Friday. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Who modified your seat? I have a Modified Mid Reach seat as well but it just didn't give me the reach that I need so I have a modified seat laying around. Whoever buys my bike will get 3 different seats. Corbin, Extended Reach and Modified Mid Reach. Mine was modified by Mean City Cycles.
Man! Are you selling this bike or not! Lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had mine done by Spencer in sunny Florida. I'm quite pleased as now that it's broken in I don't suffer anywhere near the fatigue I did when it was stock. Would still love the chance to ride one of dem fancy Corbin seats but it's not worth the $ for me to buy one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appreciate all the comments, ive been riding bikes for about 30yrs, I currently have a Triumph Explorer 1200 which I ride for longer rides or 2 up riding, Im looking for a smaller bike for around town riding like the Vulcan or even the Versys X 300. I sat on a Vulcan with mid reach and felt cramped with some lower back pain, Not sure if the extended reach seat and pegs make up for that, Still on the hunt for bike #2

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Appreciate all the comments, ive been riding bikes for about 30yrs, I currently have a Triumph Explorer 1200 which I ride for longer rides or 2 up riding, Im looking for a smaller bike for around town riding like the Vulcan or even the Versys X 300. I sat on a Vulcan with mid reach and felt cramped with some lower back pain, Not sure if the extended reach seat and pegs make up for that, Still on the hunt for bike #2
How tall are you? And yes, the Extended Reach Seat and Pegs will make a Huge difference in your riding position. It will give you a good 2 more inches which after riding the Midreach set up a couple of times and then a bike with the Extended Reach set up it was a totally different animal. The Vulcan S is very capable for commuting and around town runs. The Versys is another good choice. Personally, if you go Versys at least go with the 650 or better yet if you just want a bike to zoom around in for not too much money the new Ninja 400 is a bike you can have fun with. Personally, not my kind of bike but it is quite capable and I heard quite a performer that will zoom past the Vulcan S. :wink2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Every year I do a ten day 3,500 mile trip with a bunch of friends. I have the extended gel seat and mid bars and foot pegs. I find that I can easily do rides from fill up to fill up without any pain whatsoever. 350 mile days are no problem. I'm 5'11 and weigh 220 lbs. The Vulcan S is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, except for a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter which was like riding a road sofa. I typically ride 6,000-7,000 miles a year on my 2015 S.

I installed a Madstad windshield which helps tremendously with long distance comfort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts