Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about buying a '06 900 Vulcan. I'm 6'1 and about 260. My last bike was a '91 kz1000. I'm looking for a general around town runabout with the ability to go on 1-2 hour trips if I decide to go. is there anything I need to double check, anything to watch? How is the power on the 900, I've test rode it and it seems good to me but I haven't had it up on the highway either. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
I bought an 06 VN900 classic and generally it was a good bike. I sold it because of the issue with a lot of whine from the belt drive being too tight and the stock seat gives you butt burn after about 45 minutes of riding. If you change out the seat and have the belt drive adjusted you'll have a great bike. After I sold mine, I bought a Bandit 1250 and now wish I kept the 900. So now I'm looking at getting a Vulcan 1600.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
LOL You're in the right place to get positive responses about the 900.

In my opinion, it's the best all-around street bike that i've ever owned. Light and nimble enough around town, and heavy and powerful enough for extended road trips.

Most of the guys will tell you the stock seat sucks, but i don't have any problem with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6'4" and bigger than most. I have no issues with my '09 900 Classic except that it could use just a touch more "oomph" at the 75+ MPH range for passing purposes. But not enough to complain about.

I put hard bags, a Memphis Fats shield and an upgraded gel seat on it. I loaded it up last year for a trip around Lake Michigan (1300 miles). No problems at all, all types of weather. I would ride it anywhere, and later this year will be going around Lake Superior.

I agree with Helek_52...it is a great all-around street bike, especially at its price point. I spent a week last January riding a HD Road King in FL (1000 miles) and the only thing it had over my Vulcan was more power which is to be expected thanks to the bigger engine. I did like the six-gear transmission, too. But not for $10K more. But comfort-wise, luggage capacity, etc it wasn't any better than the Vulcan and the Vulcan is 1/3rd the price.

·
Registered
976 Posts
6'2" and right about 300 right now. Works fine for me. The only more power it could have is so far into the illegal zone that I shouldn't have it at my disposal. Cuzz I'd use it, and use it often.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
6'3" and 260 here, with no problems at all with my 900 custom, even riding 2 up it's a fine bike, although it does take a good deal more lead time for a stop. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
6'1" 190 lb!! Just got mine first of April and love it so far..

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think you will like the 900 Vulcan. I have had two Kaw. 1000's over the years and am well pleased with the 08 Vulcan 900 Cuctom i now have. I wanted something that looked good handled good on the back roads. I added a wind screen and a sissy bar with a rack. I use a barrel bag on the rack for things i like to have. Some people don't like the higher rpm's at highway speeds but if you had a KZ1000 that won't be a problem. The 900 was built to turn higher rpm's then a HD. It does just what it was built for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would have to agree with most here. The 900 is the best street bike for the money. Seems to have a little more power than the other is that range. It is light and good in town, but still has enough to keep up with the bigger bikes on the highway. And for the price, it can't be beat. Like most, I think the stock seat was horrible, so I replace mine with a mustang and added a few personal comforts like an engine guard and highway pegs. For a used bike, like with most, check for normal wear and tear. It is where it should be for the miles. How does the belt and brakes look. Ride it if you can before handing over any money.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been thinking about buying a '06 900 Vulcan. I'm 6'1 and about 260. My last bike was a '91 kz1000. I'm looking for a general around town runabout with the ability to go on 1-2 hour trips if I decide to go. is there anything I need to double check, anything to watch? How is the power on the 900, I've test rode it and it seems good to me but I haven't had it up on the highway either. Any help is appreciated.
Highway riding is nice just look at getting a custom seat its a must have.:):):)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the others. I also looked for a good first bike that could do a little of everything. Found a 06 vulcan classic turned "LT" and knew that was the bike. I sometimes wish a had a sixth gear but overall I think these bikes are great.

·
Registered
273 Posts
New 09' Classic

New owner here, have loved it for the month I have had it so far. Put a cobra sissy bar on back so far, have lots of plans for other stuff. My question is on the stock seat? Has anyone used one of these air hawk things? I'm debating whether to try it or just scrap the stock and get a mustang or gel seat?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was haveing trouble with the seat and my tail bone after only about 50 miles. I saw were some people had memory foam added to the stock seat and were pleased with it. I called Mean City Cycle and they said they would rebuild my seat with memory foam for $100.00. They tell you when whey can do the seat and will do it on thart date. I sent them the seat and they did a nice job and it was a big improvement. I now can make 150 to 200 mile rides with out to much discomfort . The shiping for the seat from where i live here in Fl. was $54.00. I think it was worth the $154.00 total for the seat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well I got a few more Km's on the classic this weekend and like everyone else I agree about the seat and the 6th gear..Seat seems high in the middle and just pushes on your tail bone constantly.I am searching for a mustang wide touring this week so that should solve that problem.As for the 6th gear,I don't mind the slightly higher rpms because it gives you lots of power for passing and driving in the wind with a 2 up windshield,I just don't like the vibration throughout the whole bike.And for some reason there's days the vibration is worse than other days(confused) so it looks like I'll get the scoot works front pulley later this year or next at the latest..Anyways don't get me wrong other than these little glitches (that can be cured) I love the bike.I have no regrets at all.Hope this helps...

·
Registered
976 Posts
When your tailbone doesn't ache the vibrations will matter quite a bit less. You can drop them down a bit by putting a Scootworks pulley on. If you need more grunt for passing just drop it down a gear but I imagine you'll need to be two up or in the lower 50's for that. 70mph with the scoots pulley is just under 4 grand, well in the power band of the engine. Then again I was doing about 80 in 3rd today getting on the highway so what do I know. Redline is 7200.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I bought the bike and so far I really like it. Run it on the highway today and it has plenty of power but it seems to be off as far as the speedo goes. It has more than enough oomph to get going though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/6061/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Middleweight-Cruiser-Shootout.aspx

Comparison between a Honda Shadow Phantom, Yamaha VStar 950, HD Sportster 883L and a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.

If you don't feel like reading the entire 6 page article, I'll make it simple for ya, if for nothing else to validate your purchase.

Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom – First – 123 points

3 out of the 4 contributors to the article would pick the 900 Custom as the bike they would buy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike.I,m in the process of reworking my seat got it close but need softer foam than the garden pad I used ,the shape is real close

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a bad bike at all

We just bought a 09 Vulcan 900 and I also own a 1800 VTX. Mind you the 900 is no match for that bike, but we did go around a tested alot of bikes including the Harley's . All I can say is that 900 was ever bit as good as the Harley's as far as power was concerned, and I think it handled better and fit me alot better. If you do get it...go to Ebay for accessories, we just spent like 170.00 this weekend for a Memphis shield, and bags and brackets. Now the wife will be a happier rider now she has her shield...lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts