Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hey Crutch

I've only ridden one one time, but I think you ride a 900 now, yes?

Well, as someone who owns a 900 and has ridden a Voyager, I can tell you the VV is a great choice. It'll be my next bike 'eventually' (got some other irons in the fire right now and I'm not in a big hurry). It was a great ride. Felt like the 900, only smoother and with a really good, consistent powerband. 6th gear was awesome. Stereo was great, cruise control is awesome! Just an overall great ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i went from the 900 classic to the voyager
1st off power is great ,ride is excellent,sound system is ok ,cruise control
pillion will love you
fuel economy not as good but not a lot of difference

bottom line if its around town riding the 900 hands down
open road or traveling two up 1700 hands down
love the voyager and would go back

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best bike I have ever owned or rode.

I'm thinking about a new Voyager. Any feedback would be great, pros and cons???

Crutch
I went from a 2007 Nomad to my 2011 VV best bike I have ever been on. I loked at all the major manufactures touring models and the Voyager was the best fit for me at 5' 6". Cruise control is great on long rides can't beat having a radio and plenty of storage. Seat is very comfortable got back on my Nomad this weakend and felt like I was on a wooden bench seat. Only down side so far is the heat, I will defenatly be getting the heat shields mentioned several times in other post. Only other down side might be tire wear seems like the stock tires don't last long but so far mine are fine after 3500 miles in the 3 months since I bought it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey TC,
I read your recent ride report.
Sounds like a great time. Post some pics already.:D

Some of the things that may have made your trip a little different are:

The weight & frame mounted fairing will make light work of the wind.
You'll still know it's there, but at 80mph it just kinda feels like you're in a porch swing. Lightly rocking back & forth.

The dual, air adjustable shocks make bumpy roads a lot less miserable after a long day in the saddle.

The cruise control is nice for your right hand and forearm, but also allows you to let go with either of your hands to shift around and stretch your shoulders and back out.

Locking storage it nice; and my wife and I really like being able to lock our helmets (with intercoms) in the top box when we stop.

After buying the ipod connector the stereo with controls on the grip, is pretty nice to have when you're on a long, boring stretch of road.

I don't have long legs; so I have to be extra careful when parking. I parked my 900 in a downward sloping spot once and barely could get it out. I take my time on the Voyager to make sure that doesn't happen. Sometimes that means parking a little further out.

The KAMS (2012 & later) does a good job of keeping the heat away from you; but it still is a little more of a PIA than the 900 to wait in stop & go traffic or heaven forbid, a train.

Myself & others have had heat issues with our stock VV. Synthetic oil, a 70/30 antifreeze mix and water wetter helped a lot.
More open pipes and a fuel controller to fix the EPA lean condition helps with heat and also makes it pull like a beast.:D

Scott

·
Registered
142 Posts
I moved up from a 900 and it's a big improvement over the 900. I love having all the storage room and the cruise control is great. The radio is decent at best and the FM reception downright sucks. If You add rear speakers and iPod kid that helps a lot, Still sounds know where as good as a Harley or the other touring bikes. Don't even think of getting a voyager without the kam system or you will roast. Best thing to do is just go to the dealer and test ride. I've also noticed a lot of dash rattle.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I went from a 2007 Nomad to my 2011 VV best bike I have ever been on. I loked at all the major manufactures touring models and the Voyager was the best fit for me at 5' 6". Cruise control is great on long rides can't beat having a radio and plenty of storage. Seat is very comfortable got back on my Nomad this weakend and felt like I was on a wooden bench seat. Only down side so far is the heat, I will defenatly be getting the heat shields mentioned several times in other post. Only other down side might be tire wear seems like the stock tires don't last long but so far mine are fine after 3500 miles in the 3 months since I bought it.
The heat problem is solved after getting the KAMS kit installed on my 2010. If you going to buy a VV buy a 2012 or newer KAMS is already installed. The only think I notice is the temp gauge runs a little higher with the KAMS kit. It better on the legs though. Also I have wrapped my pipes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2012 and have 400 miles on it. I have already ordered ice water and water wetter coolants, and def. am changing pipes, air intake, and fuel manager ASAP! The dash rattles a lot and it doesn't have much power at all (stock), but it is VERY comfortable! I am hoping after I add the upgrades I will love it. Once you have cruise you'll never buy a bike without it!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have over 40000 miles on my Voyager. I wouldn't own it if it were my only bike.
Great for two up and handles well. Great in cooler weather, but just like any full touring bike there is not enough wind flow to evaporate the sweat. Even my concours is too hot in the summer. both bikes provide great wind protection, but a naked bike is just so much cooler for the summer months in the south.

·
Registered
74 Posts
New 2012 Voyager.

I just went from the 800 Vulcan Classic to a new 2012 1700 Voyager. Just did my 600 mile oil change. A lot of the break in has been two up in very hot Florida weather. So far I'm pleased with the bike. You just can't put two over 50 people on a little bike and tour. I was surprised how easy this big bike is to maneuver at low speeds, the balance/center of gravity is good. High speed cruising is where it really shines, 75 MPH, cruise control, frame mounted windshield make for some excellent interstate riding. Of course riding the interstates is not my first choice but when you do find yourself up there you don't feel like a moped when a truck goes by on a Voyager. Passenger comfort is outstanding and storage is as good as it gets. I worked for the legendary American big bike maker and I chose a liquid cooled cruiser, enough said.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info, I have had a Vulcan 1500 05, Honda Goldwing, 08, and a Concours. Just wondering what you guys thought of the Voyager. Although the 900 is a great bike and I am very pleased with it, after having larger bikes, more weight and HP, I just prefer them better. I am also looking at an HD Electra Glide Classic. I really enjoyed my Goldwing, and would like a full dressed bike again...

Crutch

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the voyager vs. the HD ultra classic? My wife loves the Ultra as it's the only full dresser you can reliably rent almost anywhere. I'm not a fan of the lack of power or the price. Also on my someday list is a Goldwing or a big BMW but despite everything that they do so well, they still doesn't sound as good as a big twin and the price would certainly be higher than a voyager too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
like any big V-twin

Like any other big V-twin you will want to add the big three, BAK (big air kit), slip on mufflers, and a tuner. These big V-twins run lean and hot from the factory and by adding the big three they run much better. Also even on the new models with the KAM air system I would still wrap the header pipes to keep down the heat.

My second advice is to find a seat that fits and is comfortable. The factory seat is good for a tank of gas but after that I can not ride on mine. My personal choice was a Corbin seat.

I went for the lower factory windshield as my preference is to look over the windshield not through it. There is a new after market windshield with a center vent I have been thinking of addign just to get more cooling air on me. Texas is hot in the sunmer and every bit of fresh air helps.

New speakers and power pucks will make the sound system a thing of power and sound.

Riding with a frame fixed fairing is really nice in cross winds the handling is much better then a fork mounted fairing.

If the drive belt is to tight (factory setting) it will sqeel and wear out the bearings in the hub. Loosen up the drive belt a little and the noise goes away and the bearings last longer. A lot of people are setting thier drive belts to the HD tension settings.

I love my VV and it is a joy to ride especially two up. A little air in the shocks and I dont even know the wife is on back (except when she hugs me).

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
TCrutchfield

Come on over to Corsicana and ride mine....

You cannot compare a HD Ultra or Road King to anything else but another HD Ultra or Road King. I drove Road Kings every day for 20 years for a living... Thats why I DO NOT own a Road King or Ultra.....

Nothing wrong with them, but I do not want one.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the voyager vs. the HD ultra classic? My wife loves the Ultra as it's the only full dresser you can reliably rent almost anywhere. I'm not a fan of the lack of power or the price. Also on my someday list is a Goldwing or a big BMW but despite everything that they do so well, they still doesn't sound as good as a big twin and the price would certainly be higher than a voyager too.
I rode my brother 09 Ultra last a couple weeks ago, and just bought a 2012 Voyager friday. For me at 190lbs and 5'8" I couldnt wait to get back to his house and park it. Its the only bike I've ever ridden that my knee hurt after riding it 87 miles. The seating on it just didnt fit me, felt like I was sitting on top of the gas tank and he also says this about it, the floor boards on the front are to far in once you get your legs around the tank, can only get about 1/2 of your foot on them. For me the Voyager is a much better fit. His bike has V&H slipons, mine is stock, sofar. The Harley has an edge in the power department, but the Voyager has the edge in comfort. Features are mixed, I have some he dont, anti lock brakes and cruise. He has an alarm and a cig. lighter. The Voyager does have a power outlet, but no lighter if that matters. The voyager also sets lower, easier to hold up when stopped, even though his has been lowered 1' in back. And with the $6,000 I saved buying the Voyager, I'm sure The big 3 will easily make up for the power difference.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I rode my brother 09 Ultra last a couple weeks ago, and just bought a 2012 Voyager friday. For me at 190lbs and 5'8" I couldnt wait to get back to his house and park it. Its the only bike I've ever ridden that my knee hurt after riding it 87 miles. The seating on it just didnt fit me, felt like I was sitting on top of the gas tank and he also says this about it, the floor boards on the front are to far in once you get your legs around the tank, can only get about 1/2 of your foot on them. For me the Voyager is a much better fit. His bike has V&H slipons, mine is stock, sofar. The Harley has an edge in the power department, but the Voyager has the edge in comfort. Features are mixed, I have some he dont, anti lock brakes and cruise. He has an alarm and a cig. lighter. The Voyager does have a power outlet, but no lighter if that matters. The voyager also sets lower, easier to hold up when stopped, even though his has been lowered 1' in back. And with the $6,000 I saved buying the Voyager, I'm sure The big 3 will easily make up for the power difference.
My thoughts also. My friend has an Ultra and I feel like a over grown huge person on it. The bike is was to cramped for me.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
A thought on thepower comment, I have been riding it with kind of a gentle wrist because its still new, will call dealer today to see about getting 1st service done. I've been shifting between 2000 and 2500 rpm. Today I wound it to 3000 a couple times, thats about were it seem to start making real power at, so after this service may see what 4500 feels like.

·
Registered
701 Posts
A thought on thepower comment, I have been riding it with kind of a gentle wrist because its still new, will call dealer today to see about getting 1st service done. I've been shifting between 2000 and 2500 rpm. Today I wound it to 3000 a couple times, thats about were it seem to start making real power at, so after this service may see what 4500 feels like.

After the 600 miles service the sky is the limit with the throttle. I wouldn't be bouncing off the rev limiter till I had 1000 miles on it. Ride it like you stole it. :D

1 - 20 of 77 Posts