Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, the names is Sean, 21 y/o married with 2 kids (I know) I'm a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. I have been riding since I was 12. Started off on a Kawasaki Elminator 125 then got a Suzuki GS500E when I was 15. Got rid of that when I joined the service and bought a Suzuki SV650N after boot camp. I just sold that bike a Feb and have been searching for a cruiser ever since. I have logged over 25,000 miles on 2 wheels and know a good deal about what I'm doing when I throw a leg over. I finally narrowed it down to the Vulcan 900 Custom. Not to big, not to small. Love the looks and it feels absolutely perfect when I sit in the saddle. I looked on Craigslist and have looked at 2 of them so far, a 2008 with 4000 miles for 5000 and a 2009 with 2200 miles for 5800. Or I might just go brand new since they're not to expensive. Anyways, I have searched and searched this forum but can't find any major issues with this bike (hopefully a good thing) I was wanting to know if there is anything "special" with this bike, anything I tshould look out for when buying used. Thanks for all the help guys, I will hopefully be a Vulcan rider within the month and I'll be around here alot more!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sean,
I just picked up a 900 Custom a few months ago and really love it. I like the boulevard cruiser look and run it around town pretty stripped down. But I have a switchblade windshield and soft saddle bags for hitting the road. Just got back from a 3 day trip.
The engine is big enough for anything I want to do.
I have read on the forum that some folks don't like the seat, but I have found the seat to be pretty comfortable.
I am not aware of any things that you need to look out for that are peculiar to this model.
Like a lot of folks, I find myself trying to shift in the 6th gear at about 60-65 mph and wishing it had one. But I have run it for a couple of hundred miles going 75-80 mph with no discomfort.
i think you'll like it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Welcome...have to say it's nice to see a 21 year old buying a midsize cruiser. A buddy at work bought a GSXR 500 as his first bike and now is shopping for a cruiser. He's 32 and says he's not a cruiser kind of guy but his back is tweeked. I think he is wrapped around the idea that cruiser guys portray a bad ass rep. Watched to many movies I guess. Maybe he's talking gear. Most Sport bikers where sneaks and non-leather. Enjoy your new scoot!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome,
If that's what you want go for it. I have the 900C as well and everyone arround me seems to love it. Always get great coments and it can keep up with bigger bikes too. I have had mine for over three years and no issues yet. The only thing most have complained about it that it revs high at speeds over 65mph but it will ease a bit at arround 80mhp. Still great bike and I love it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Welcome,
If that's what you want go for it. I have the 900C as well and everyone arround me seems to love it. Always get great coments and it can keep up with bigger bikes too. I have had mine for over three years and no issues yet. The only thing most have complained about it that it revs high at speeds over 65mph but it will ease a bit at arround 80mhp. Still great bike and I love it.
I hope that's a typo Classtom...how does it ease at 80MPH? May want to edit that or am I missing something?
:confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome Sean,
In my opinion and others here too, the 900 is one awesome bike. The only real issue I have is the seat. It's okay for short jaunts but spend more then 30 minutes and it feels like you're sitting on a rock. There are a few solutions to which you would have to read up on. I'm going for the mustang with drivers back rest. You may be one of the lucky ones who has an "Iron Butt"! I'm 6'3" and 240lbs and my wife is 5"2" and will kill me if I post her weight but it is a comfy size for both with no power loss when 2uping and we have some steep and long inclines around here. As far as buying used, I have not read anyone having a bad buy in this forum. Good luck with your choice and thank you for serving our country.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Couldn't have chosen a better bike in my opinion, just passed 30,000 miles with no issues at all. I ride with a bunch of bigger Harleys and never have any problem keeping up, have done a couple longer tours {8 days 2500 mile & 13 days 4600 miles} with a couple 600+ mile days in there and the bike never minded doing 80 for hours on end. The seat was an issue for me, but everybodys a$$ is different so see how it feels for you, you will know in about 100 miles if the seat will work for you or not. Most of all, have fun and ride safe.
And thank you for your service to our great country.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do what I did, wait until the new models come out and make a deal on a new bike in the previous model year; I picked up my 2009 900 classic for $6500.00 brand spanking new. When I picked up the bike the ODO only had 1.2 miles on it, from the mechanic riding it around the block to check his make-ready.....Trust me, you can't go wrong.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
+1 for what edr9 said. Also, don't be squeemish about printing an ebay ad and waiving it at the dealer.

The 900 platform is in its 5th model year, and so far, the complaints seem to be limited to gas guage, odo and speedo errors, and stock Dunlop tires.

That's a pretty good track record. I know I love mine, and after riding to Phoenix with me, my buddy went out and bought one just like it.

You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
About to take the plunge???

Okay, all. Tomorrow seems I'm going to trade in my 2005 Z-750 for a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom. Been looking at this bike type for the last few years, really like the look.Getting at good price (so can afford this cycle). Already bought M6-1.0 10mm bolts to replace bottom zerks, bought a bag of resistors for the 270 ohm gas gauge fix. Still, I'm gonna miss going ***mph, but sportbike sitting position was never close to comfy after 60 to 90 minutes, and I'm hankering to travel a lot farther than just a county or two away. My main worry, being able to ride at real highway speeds (70-75mph actual, not indicated). I keep reading mixed signals about this throughout this forum. Used to sportbike rpms of 5500 to 6000, so as long as bike can keep up with traffic without feeling like it's coming apart, just higher rpms should not bother me. Have already accepted compromise that bike is 200 pounds heavier, can't fit bike into tight squeeze, open parking corners in parking garage and is not a high warp drive vehicle. Still plan on taking to work most every day all year, weather permitting. Please tell me normal highway speeds for some hours at a time is something bike can take okay. I really want to like bike, but if really only made for relatively local, non-interstate use, maybe I should keep the Z? I'm trying to guard against 'the grass is always greener over the fence' syndrome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sold my CBR and bought a classic LT almost two years ago. Yeah, there are days I miss the CBR, and thankfully I have friends that allow me to borrow their sportbikes. I dont regret it though. This is a bike that both my wife and I can enjoy. The gas gauge is a five minute fix, although I used a 160 ohm resistor. My spedo seems correct, and I've had no problems with the stock tires. The bike has grown on me since I've had it. The aftermarket pipes helped that. Not so sure about the neighbors liking it more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Okay, all. Tomorrow seems I'm going to trade in my 2005 Z-750 for a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom. Been looking at this bike type for the last few years, really like the look.Getting at good price (so can afford this cycle). Already bought M6-1.0 10mm bolts to replace bottom zerks, bought a bag of resistors for the 270 ohm gas gauge fix. Still, I'm gonna miss going ***mph, but sportbike sitting position was never close to comfy after 60 to 90 minutes, and I'm hankering to travel a lot farther than just a county or two away. My main worry, being able to ride at real highway speeds (70-75mph actual, not indicated). I keep reading mixed signals about this throughout this forum. Used to sportbike rpms of 5500 to 6000, so as long as bike can keep up with traffic without feeling like it's coming apart, just higher rpms should not bother me. Have already accepted compromise that bike is 200 pounds heavier, can't fit bike into tight squeeze, open parking corners in parking garage and is not a high warp drive vehicle. Still plan on taking to work most every day all year, weather permitting. Please tell me normal highway speeds for some hours at a time is something bike can take okay. I really want to like bike, but if really only made for relatively local, non-interstate use, maybe I should keep the Z? I'm trying to guard against 'the grass is always greener over the fence' syndrome.
I think you can ride the 900 all day at 70-75 MPH without fear of it coming apart, but you might not want to! The vibes get pretty bad past 70, IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
whats this gas gage prob .. and what's the fix?
Several threads on this, but here is the quick version. All the 900 gas guages read empty with about 1/2 a tank remaining. The warning light is correct. It comes on at about a gallon remaining. Unplug the two wire harness that runs under the right side of the gas tank, up at the front. Removing the speedo bezel helps. Place a resistor (1/2 watt 150-170 ohm) Radio Shack sells them 5 for $.99. The resister goes either end, as long as both ends go into the same connector. You are basically "jumping" the end of the connector and plugging it back together. There are pics of it in the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took the plunge

Okay, between the looks of the 900 Vulcan Custom and the things I read on this forum, I bled my piggy bank somewhat and got an orange one. The dealer told me to go ahead and drive a mile or two, including a 1/2 mile highway stretch at between 70 to 75 mph (I'll be good about breaking it in for the next 600 miles). It doesn't have that quick burst of warp speed, or the brake power either of the Z-750 I traded away. Then again I'm not leaning forward in the saddle craning my neck upwards just to look forward either. I like the sitting position going down the road. Sitting on the bike in the showroom I was thinking the seating was much like a 'standard' bike sits. You can feel the tilt back in the seat pretty well going down the road. I LIKED that!

Also, did my first mod greasing, then removing, those two bottom zerks and replaced with two M6-1.0 X 10mm button screws with split locking washer. Went well. (I'm mechanically challenged when it comes to hands on. The joke is my wife has to call Homeland Security if I even touch a screwdriver, because only God knows what mass destruction I might cause with it. :eek:)

After a whopping grand total of 35 miles tonight (had to wait and dodge a bunch of tornado warnings and scattered thunderstorms around here tonight) I'm feeling more content, maybe even more than I ever did with the Z. I can't wait to get past the break-in period.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Several threads on this, but here is the quick version. All the 900 gas guages read empty with about 1/2 a tank remaining. The warning light is correct. It comes on at about a gallon remaining. Unplug the two wire harness that runs under the right side of the gas tank, up at the front. Removing the speedo bezel helps. Place a resistor (1/2 watt 150-170 ohm) Radio Shack sells them 5 for $.99. The resister goes either end, as long as both ends go into the same connector. You are basically "jumping" the end of the connector and plugging it back together. There are pics of it in the forum.
Is this something that affects the older models? My '09 reads just fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is this something that affects the older models? My '09 reads just fine.
I have an '09 (granted, it's only a week "old" and I've only gone past 120 miles before filling up once - my current tank, which I'm 165 miles into). Needle hit the red zone somewhere around 140-150 miles. I'd filled up to the bottom of the splash guard. It seems to be pretty accurate until right around 120 miles on the trip, then goes down fast to the red. However, I also have a malfunctioning low fuel light. So until that gets fixed, who knows what might be going on in that tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 900C that has about 1300 miles to date. I think the 900 is one of a few bikes that can be bought, used and enjoyed without any modifications except the seat. Many folks choose to customize their rides and personalize them, but the 900 is a very nice ride in stock condition.

For the price, you can't beat it. $6089 for a new '09 plus tax, title. I know of no other cycle that comes close in value. The 900C is not a touring bike and should never be confused as one but power and handling make it a wonderful cruiser.

If you want to make modifications, then there is a endless list of parts available.

Enjoy!

Mayreau

·
Registered
742 Posts
i can honestly say i have UNIQUE experience in this decision making...

my 1st bike was a plasma blue classic... i liked the ride. the previous owner added a mustang touring seat and a memphis shade... was extremely comfortable to ride!

... for my 2nd, because the classic was totaled on 6/4/10, i got a GREEN '08 Custom and LOVE IT MORE!!! the bike is meaner looking but rides about the same. although i think it has the upgraded kawi seat that has the embroidered vulcan logo on it and i am already considering a new one?!?! because i like to ride... and my arse hates me for it!

the customs overall IMHO are much better... but i personally don't think they are the accessory type bikes to put saddlebags, sissybars, luggage racks, etc. on... they are sweet just the way they are but i am a mod-aholic and already waiting for my kury side mount plate bracket and then gonna get a saddleman solo seat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts