Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i'd love to upgrade to 200/70-15 Metezler 880's...and am wondering if ya all think these tires have significant life left or is it almost time anyways...

trying to measure depth of tread is hard cause I'm trying to guess where to measure...but, basically...

if I measure right in the middle of the tire, it's about 2 or 3mm...which is service limit. but, as you move out further...the depth of tread is greater.

thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
measure a tire like you measure a chain link fence, weakest link. It's time to replace them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Agreed. And start leaning over more!
LOL, thanks peeps for quick replies...I actually just bought this bike two weeks ago...so, it wasn't me. But, point noted for future riding. :)

new rear tire here I come! I actually bought a new tank and now will be buying a new tire...new tank $215, new tire $215...uggh. Got a local mechanic (totally trust him from previous bike) that will do both repairs for me for $100 out the door...not bad.

Oh well, can sell my old tank for about $150 on eBay...unless anyone thinks they want a Classic Red tank? It's got two dents by the emblems and two scratches...thus, the desire to replace. Thought I could live with it...but, started to annoy me too much.

Bought a 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic with 16k miles for $2,650...so, it was pretty good deal...but, there's always additional costs!

Pic of bike purchased....

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet deal ,with pipes even.
yup, those are cobra speedster shorts...however, they were much too loud for me...i'm more low key...don't want to be too too noticed.

I sold them and downgraded to OEM pipes (made some money on the downgrade).

sorry about dominating the forum...just fun engaging in conversation with ya all and reaping some very good advice!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Chicagoster,

I think your tires look about like mine did when I replaced them. They look due. While yeah, you can probably still squeeze a little more life out of them, when my Bridgestones got like yours, I began to notice just a little slippage on wet pavement which made me feel insecure on the bike. So go ahead and get your 880's now, I'm sure you'll love them, and you're only putting off the inevitable anyway. Get 'em now and enjoy them sooner! :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
new tire $215...uggh.
Just got a new tire delivered to my door $112 from jakewilson.com.
Pirelli 180/70, check it out.:D
As Gibnmo said, you can get a Pirelli MT66 in the stock size for about $112-125 shipped depending on vendor. Excellent tire and half the price. I've got 7500 on mine and it looks almost new.

·
Registered
148 Posts
WOW you got a GREAT deal on that bike, have you shopped around for tires, seems a little high, although you got a danging deal on that tank. All in all you got yourself a super bike and an unbeatable price, congrats!

·
Registered
451 Posts
+1 on Pirelli MT66. Great rain traction, smooth as silk, competetively priced. I've got 7500 on mine, and wouldn't say it looks new, but looks like I'll get 15k plus out of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 on Pirelli MT66. Great rain traction, smooth as silk, competetively priced. I've got 7500 on mine, and wouldn't say it looks new, but looks like I'll get 15k plus out of them.

YUP, bought the Pirelli MT 66's...

so, was reading another post on this forum and found out that...downsizing width of tire (and increasing height of sidewall) has very similar effect of upsizing width...

ended up buying Pirelli MT 66's 170/80-15 tires ($100 shipped from motorcyclesuperstore.com) ......will not drop RPM's as much as the Metzeler 200/70-15 tires...but, will drop RPM's more than stock 180/70-15's...and will yield more accurate speedo too!!

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ight=buy+tires

Tire____________170/80-15___180/70-15___200/70-15
Sidewall Height____5.35________4.96________5.51
Section Width_____6.69________7.09________7.87
Overall Diameter___25.71______24.92_______26.02
Circumference_____80.77______78.29_______81.76
Revs per mile_____784.49_____809.27_____774.99

Tire Comparator Link:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos#row1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts