Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to step up to a larger displacement bike than my 900 Classic. I've ridden a few Harleys (Road Glide, Fat Boy), and while I love my 900, I'm ready for something with a little more...everything.

After sitting on a couple 1700s and finding them too big (I have short legs, and I couldn't stand flat footed), I figured I would be looking at a Softail-probably a Deluxe. But lo and behold, I sat on a 2000 and it is a much better fit! Lower seat and a seat/frame configuration that feels more narrow & compact than the 1700. I think I've found my next bike. The fact that it's a "torque machine" just adds to the appeal.

Now for a few questions (not a hell of a lot of info out there in webland):

1. My 900 has been bulletproof. 17000 mi. and nary a hiccup. Will the 2000 treat me this well?

2. I'm very intrigued by the "Standard" (hope I've got that right), but with that bodacious headlight nacelle, I'm guessing that windshields, and especially fairings are hard to find. I would really like to have a detachable fairing, but a detachable shield would work. Anything out there like that?

3. The stock seat looks like a 2-piece affair. Is the pillion easy to put on & take off?

4. Did the model change much in its 6 year (hope I've got that right, too) run? Is there a timeline somewhere of the color/option/spec changes over time?

As I said, I'm very interested in this bike. I'd love to find a Standard in midnight blue. Any questions you can answer for me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
1. the 2000 (any vulcan) will run many miles if the basics are managed regarding upkeep.
2. standard, or just vn2000 has some shield options (i've seen some). nose around on ebay, here, and other places to see what others have.
3. passenger seat pops off easily via a rip-cord hidden behind right plastic side cover.
4. the V2k has seen basically two styles, standard and introduced in 06 the classic with conventional headlamp setup and few other minor cosmetics. classic LT adds bags, shield, sissybar, pass-floorboards.

a good place to see pictures of all year models/colors is totalmotorcycle.com and navigate away first by clicking a "year" on left.

The 2000 is a macho brute with big torque, is fun and even exciting to ride. The 1700 comes in 5 trims (classic, classic LT, nomad, vaquero, voyager), you can find a level that suits your needs.
I have both. The 2000 is fun for shorter rides, but for the long haul, my nomad with it's great wind protection, 6-sp and electronic cruise control lets me have my cake and stuff it in my mouth also...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Bill....It's a love hate relationship. You love the bike but you hate the Tick Turds that made it . I've got two Vulcan 2000's , a white one and a black one 2007 and 2006 respectively. Bought white one new and black one used. I learned not to raise the wind sheild all the way up as it makes the ride more sensitive to wind buffeting. If you will lower the windshield just an inch or inch and a half it makes all the difference in the world. Next is seats. The used one I bought had Mustang seats which is how I found out what I was missing. So now the white one has Mustang also. Also, the black one had 1" risers and they really make a difference . You learn not to park in places you can't get out of and always park a little uphill if not level. It don't have a reverse. If you ever crank it up and it's skipping, don't rev it up thinking it's water in the fuel. It's probably a loose sparkplug wire. Shut it off and check them. Also there is a little resistor in the end of sparkplug wire that sometimes gets corroded . I thought it was water in the gas cause it was skipping, I kept revving it which was dumping raw gas on the catalytic converters , which was then ignited which turned one muffler / tailpipe cherry red, ruining it. It was on warranty and Kawasaki replaced it We also replaced that spark plug wire. I consider that a freak thing that could happen on any fuel injected bike. Next, when you first crank it , don't turn the throttle at all. The computer knows exactly what to do to get your cold bike running. It will rev it up for about 6 seconds and then idle it back down and your ready to go. I'm 56 years old and have the carpel tunnel problems so the next thing I'm going to try is that vibrasnake altho I have a throttle lock on it now which helps me tremendously. Also you learn to pick the bike off the kickstand using you leg against the tank. It saves your back. When you get about 10000 miles on it the belt may or may not start churping on excell or decell. I'm going to find a cure for this as I'm working on it presently. It's all about comfort to me when I ride and to my wife also. I'm going over to the darkside when I wear these newest tires down as most of my riding is done in flat country down here in South Georgia. I am getting 5000 miles per rear tire and I'm on my forth one on each bike. I just can't afford this. The torque is very addictive but to fully take advantage of it you have to shift gears as fast as you can getting into fifth as quick as possible then all you have to do is wind that throttle back and steer. It's made for the highway. I can't think of any other bike I'd rather have ,for looks, for sound, for everthing....later

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

cqt, that's just what I was looking for (totalmotorcycle.com). Nice timeline. I sat on a Vaquero (beautiful, but I don't want a permanent fairing, and it was just a bit tall for my 30" inseam) and an LT (too tall and "girthy").

Bill, thanks for the insight as to the quirks (all bikes have 'em, right?) of the 2000. As for the belt chirps, I rub candle wax on my belt when I wash it or any other time I have it on the lift.

Thanks again, fellers!

·
Registered
616 Posts
V2K choice

Bill B, I have little to add to the prvious posters , except to add there were a few minor changes in the model years.
Ive owned three of them, { gifted both 04 models to my two sons} I curently ride an 08 Classic.
The V2K initially was only avaialble in one variant, the BIG headlight version . Around 06 they brought out a new "nomad styled" headlight model called the Classic, then they added the Classic LT, c/w windshield , backrest & small bags.
The large headlight model posed some limitations as to aftermarket windshields & fairings, but Memphis Shades makes a good windshield for the big light. There are other options as ell. but ive got MS on the 04's . Not exactly quick detach , but 2min will remove it.
The biggest improvements came in 06 with a new kickstand design which decreased the lean angle of the parked bike. It resulted in a totally different feel of the whole bike . I mean this from a parked , pull it up off the stand prespective. My 08 weighs exactly the same as the 04's, but it is remarkably easier to pull off the stand & it feels a whole lot lower & lighter , BUT its not.
To my knowledge this was the biggest change/improvement. I can toss my 08 vertical with NO hands , only using my left knee, cant quite do it on the 04 . The only other diff that I have encountered is a slight change in air cleaner housing design. Aftermarket cleaner from the 04 will not fit the 08 directly. Air temp sensor is held in place by a retaining screw on the newer models , on earlier models it is pushed through a rubber grommet , friction fit offers the only form of retention.
Both headlight designs function well , the big light makes the bike VERY identifiable. Its a love it /hate it concept. The Classic model has some limitations as to direct fitment of aftermarket windshields. NO one makes a W/S which will directly fit onto a Classic!! Every Mfgr wants you to buy the Classic LT mtg hardware. If you are creative , you can fab a mount which will allow a Memphis Shades Bat Wing fairing to fit quite nicely.
So long & short, the Classic model likely is the more restrictive if you look at it from a direct fitment of options perspective.
I prefer the Classic for its cleaner lines , as the LT model comes with small bags /limited space.
To each , their own. As for reliablilty, have NO concerns , keep it well serviced , pay close attention to the air cleaner/filter, and prepare yourself for a total torque addiction!!! You will NEVER again have to downshift because of hills or head wind LOL, Just twist the wrist!
As many others, I too , will be a dark side rider next tire change!!!
The pic shows my 08 Classic , which wears 07 colors , due , mostly to a drunk driver forcing me off the road this fall.
Enjoy your V2K

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Bill,
I think you will love the beast if it fits you as you say... 7000 miles now on mine with no serious issues. minor 'from the factory' leak on coolant. changing rear tire now...bridgestone only got 7000 mi but the front is still fine. Needed pullback risers to fit my posture better but that was an easy mod of course.

I find it corners and rides just fine... and goes like a bat outta hell if you get on it... (except for the darn rev limiter...lol).... some people say it is not as good in corners or parking lots but I dont see that compared to a vulcan 1500 or a suzuki C50 I used to ride.

gas mileage is realistically only 35-40 range...

I found no detachable windshield... finally put on a National cycle classic but I hate it.... traps bugs big time in the little adjustable area....and wind DOES rip up under it at your head. I had to put deflectors to stop that but that worked well.....

Stock seat is cr&p of course. I put on a Russell daylong and now I ride all day with no issues....

go for it !! :)

Annie

·
Registered
616 Posts
ouch

Bill,
I think you will love the beast if it fits you as you say... 7000 miles now on mine with no serious issues. minor 'from the factory' leak on coolant. changing rear tire now...bridgestone only got 7000 mi but the front is still fine. Needed pullback risers to fit my posture better but that was an easy mod of course.

I find it corners and rides just fine... and goes like a bat outta hell if you get on it... (except for the darn rev limiter...lol).... some people say it is not as good in corners or parking lots but I dont see that compared to a vulcan 1500 or a suzuki C50 I used to ride.

gas mileage is realistically only 35-40 range...

I found no detachable windshield... finally put on a National cycle classic but I hate it.... traps bugs big time in the little adjustable area....and wind DOES rip up under it at your head. I had to put deflectors to stop that but that worked well.....

Stock seat is cr&p of course. I put on a Russell daylong and now I ride all day with no issues....

go for it !! :)

Annie
Annie, tell me more bout the Russel seat <please, My boys are both looking, Ive ridden on a Corbin--- NO THANKS!! I have a mustang & like it. Its looks kinda wierd on the website, but function over fashion!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ooooh man, the Russell Daylong seat is the best thing going. I know.. I bought a mustang vintage wide and hated it....gave it away with the last bike...lol.

I dont mean to slam anybody but I tried a seat rebuild by Mean city cycles....didnt work at all. ... I complained all the time on rides with my husband even tho I was using an airhawk ( which does help a lot).....and he finally allowed me to spring for the Russell.

7000 miles since the russell seat and I never complain 'cause I dont feel any discomfort.... it cost $475 for just the drivers seat mod and has been great. They widen the seat pan ...and support that with steel (not just foam)... and you get a wider area to spread the load ..so to speak...and that takes away any pressure. it works great.

It puts you more 'in' a seat too... you have to shift forward just a bit to drop your feet to the ground... kinda like getting outta a chair.... you get used to that in about 10 minutes tho....

Frank is now going to get a Russell for his VTX he is so impressed...

good luck !! Annie

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have an '06 Limited, which has the big bug eye headlight. I put on the Kawi windshield/lowers, and have no buffeting problems, and the short windshield and lowers flow well with the lines of the bike. It is NOT adjustable, though.

I'm 6'3" and the wind is kept off of my chest and neck but my head is in the wind. If I get behind a gravel truck I have to lean forward quite a bit to avoid being sandblasted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts