Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reading an article about how the Britts and Americans dont get on well seeing we both use/abuse the Queens language..
it just seems odd that if you have something to say, why not just say it?..
but then of course we are being hoped/changed into the new PC culture so that we mite not offend somebody/anybody..
I kinda like the Nike slogan, just Do It! call a spade a spade, let the chips fall where they may. thats kinda why amused them aussies lingo.. funny and true. poncho

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sungardas/2014/08/14/lost-in-translation-overcoming-the-language-barrier-as-a-brit-in-america/?omn_chn=af&omn_src=outbrain&omn_cid=701G0000000ejLCIAY

·
Registered
109 Posts
The differences between terminology exists within our own country, so I find it funny someone from a different country decided to write about it.

I moved from rural New England to Southern California and got some of the same blank looks. If you ask where to get a grinder or where the package store is - you'll get a blank look. We have tar roads, California has asphalt roads. The list goes on. Not to mention I needed a translator for the menu in Mexican restaurants. I had no idea what some of the foods were.

My roommate in college was from Crossville TN - we had the same communication issues.

It's becoming less noticable now that we're becoming a media driven country.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The differences between terminology exists within our own country, so I find it funny someone from a different country decided to write about it.

I moved from rural New England to Southern California and got some of the same blank looks. If you ask where to get a grinder or where the package store is - you'll get a blank look. We have tar roads, California has asphalt roads. The list goes on. Not to mention I needed a translator for the menu in Mexican restaurants. I had no idea what some of the foods were.

My roommate in college was from Crossville TN - we had the same communication issues.

It's becoming less noticable now that we're becoming a media driven country.
mb, you can get a grinder at most any strip club. As for a package store,, SoCo is probly the rite place to be?
Tar roads, ther are Tar Heels, tar heads, tar skins, so why wouldn't they have thier own road?
Mexkin fare, it's all the same stuff arraigned in difrent order. poncho

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
you can get a grinder at most any strip club. As for a package store
hell at most strip clubs, you can get a grinder for your package.

·
Banned
32 Posts
reading an article about how the Britts and Americans dont get on well seeing we both use/abuse the Queens language..
it just seems odd that if you have something to say, why not just say it?..
but then of course we are being hoped/changed into the new PC culture so that we mite not offend somebody/anybody..
I kinda like the Nike slogan, just Do It! call a spade a spade, let the chips fall where they may. thats kinda why amused them aussies lingo.. funny and true. poncho

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sungardas/2014/08/14/lost-in-translation-overcoming-the-language-barrier-as-a-brit-in-america/?omn_chn=af&omn_src=outbrain&omn_cid=701G0000000ejLCIAY
And Americans seem to think that England is down under.When in fact,we are just across the water.Australians are down under.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
And some of us are originally from Tasmania, which is really down under

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
32 Posts
And some of us are originally from Tasmania, which is really down under

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly is mate.In the days when mine,and your,forefathers were starving in England.They got deported to Van Diemens land for simple crimes,such as stealing a loaf of bread. Atrociously treated, they built, not just a country,but a whole continent of fair blokes..Got to love the Aussies. Here we go,a map for the Yanks who dont know where their county line is,never mind another country.:wink2:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tasmania,+Australia/@-26.4221053,145.0617646,6205253m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xaa7aed277e34facf:0x2a8fa5dd29404064!8m2!3d-41.4545196!4d145.9706648

1 - 8 of 8 Posts