Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Fall when I took my 2009 Vulcan 900 to storage I noticed a very small drip of coolant on the front cylinder head. I took the bike out of storage and investigated it a little more yesterday, although didn't notice any more dripping there is a white residue like corrosion on the thermostat housing. I took the bike out for about 40 minutes and it seamed to run/ride fine but noticed the sweet/sour smell of antifreeze when I returned home. I am wondering do you guys recommend a coolant flush and a new thermostat and "O"-ring change or am I good to go without concern? Also if I do need to change the thermostat is there a less expensive one out there besides the OEM? I would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
307 Posts
When I serviced mine a month or so ago, I found that the o ring at the thermostat housing needed replacing.
That is a few dollars. I see no reason to buy a thermostat from your description.
Replace the o ring, clean the groove it sits in. Button it back up.

You are probably going to pull the bottom hose anyway to drain the coolant out of it to do the work. You may as well put new coolant in it. You are likely to spill some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys I believe I will make a strong attempt at the flush and "O"-ring replacement this weekend. I purchased the bike used with 13,000 miles on it last year, I'm not sure if the PO took great care of the bike or if he just did general maint. I am looking to do more of the PM stuff to avoid any trips to the shop, I haven't worked on anything other than cars in a long time so I am pretty much starting off as a newbie.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check out the cooling sticky for things to check.
Remember to change out the coolant every couple of years as per maintinence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts