Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - McGregor IA camping this Sat night.

Camping with my 10 year old son - gonna happen, no matter what the weather. Mode of transport is the question.

We both really want to take the bike, but will go with a car if needed. I'm leaning towards go for it on the bike - but open to wiser folks.

If you feel like playing along on the weather channel page,
Sat AM riding / driving through from Suburbs:
Galena, IL up to
Cassville, WI for the ferry crossing.
Set up in McGregor IA ride up the bluffs to
New Albin, IA and back to camp.
Return home on Sunday by a slightly different route - but that forecast looks better.

Car or Bike?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I guess my input would be if you're seasoned campers or not.

If you're son's relatively new to camping, i'd say take the car. You want his experience to be as positive as possible to reinforce your time together. It'd be unfortunate if he viewed camping in a negative light because of a bad first impression.

If you have both camped numerous times together and are looking for a new experience, by all means, take the bike and call it an adventure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you're son's relatively new to camping, i'd say take the car. You want his experience to be as positive as possible to reinforce your time together. It'd be unfortunate if he viewed camping in a negative light because of a bad first impression.
Substitute "riding" for "camping" in the above. Still makes sense ?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I guess my input would be if you're seasoned campers or not.

If you have both camped numerous times together and are looking for a new experience, by all means, take the bike and call it an adventure.
My thoughts right here.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts. weather.com has lowered the chance of rain. I am leaning more and more towards the bike. He says he wants to ride even if that means in the rain. If the chances stay below 40 or at 30%, we'll ride.

As far as the camping part, we spent a few days out this Spring in CONSTANT downpour - in fact, it is the only report on my blog that done in a car. Kid is a trooper. He loved it and we spent zero time hiding out. Fishing in the rain near a bluff, a tree even almost fell on him. I Actually got a picture of it. Good trip.

His bigger, tougher, older brothers would have whined the whole time! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts