Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a Freedom Performance True Dual exhaust for the Vaquero and sent the ECU to Ivan for a flash. Due to the season and the 4th of July holiday, there is a slight back-up, so I’m without a bike.

So the waiting is the hardest part. Can’t wait to get back out there.

Anyone else have a Vaquero with FP true duals and an Ivan flash? I’m hoping it improves the sound and gives the bike a little more zip. Also hoping it’s not too loud and I look like an attention seeking Harley dude. Can I say that?

Personally I like all bikes, but not rides that are ridiculously loud.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I bought my 2014 Voyager and it had Freedom True Duals. The popping on decal was unbearable and they were too loud.

Flashed the ECU and added the quiet baffles. No more popping but they are still on the loud side. Good if that's what you like.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
No more popping but they are still on the loud side.

Never mind about me thinking these are loud. I just got back from taking a spin on my wife's 883 Sportster. Now that's loud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes you can say that. also, i like quiet bikes too. the loud bikes guys are usually the ones who don't ride long distances, or don't ride every day.
I’ve noticed cruisers are usually louder than baggers. I like a deep, throaty exhaust but not one that can be heard over in the next county.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree, too loud is ridiculous & bad for biker community rep. Loud tuners too. Anyone who rides daily or long wouldn't like too loud. My stock Nomad is great, though I wish it was louder as I wear earplugs normally for wind noise. Gotta pass hearing tests for work. Sounds good without earplugs on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the same combo plus the Roaring toyz Big air intake that I am going with for my new to me 2016 Vaquero. All parts are ordered and i will be tearing the bike down this weekend to pull the ECU to send to Ivan as i will have my son for the next two weeks and wont be able to ride anyways.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like we are twins. I hope you get your ECU back quickly! It feels like I’ve been waiting forever but in reality it’s only been a week or so, with the midweek holiday factored in.

What else do you have planned for your ride?

I’d be thrilled to add an amplifier and bigger speakers, but I’m horrible with wiring and electronics. Maybe next year.

Maybe a custom paint job? Something 70’s retro???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a great day. The dealership called to let me know all the upgrades and parts were installed and the bike was ready.

I got there and immediately noticed that they installed the Freedom Performance True Dual Racing 4” racing exhaust with black tips, not chrome like I ordered. Strike one.

I started it up and noticed it’s nice deep sound but it’s volume just at idle was way too loud.....way too loud, as in it’s not installed right. Hmmm, maybe I’m wrong but I’ll take it for a spin. So I drive it home which took about 20 minutes and the whole ride, all the way, in all gears, on or off the throttle the bike was snap, crackle and pop. It sounded like a gun club. And I was smelling gas. Strike two.

I get home and see in the saddlebag stickers from a different company, NOT IVAN in NY. I called the dealership and asked where did they send my ECU to get flashed. NOT IVAN. Strike three.

Drove it back, it’s at the dealership, and I’m pretty ticked off. They will be sending it to IVAN on Tuesday.

Hope they make this right for me, or I’m going to start naming business and employee names in my reviews.

As I understand it, a Kawasaki nomad/voyager/vaquero ECU has minimal pops on deceleration after an Ivan flash. Am I wrong?

Do you think I should get baffles for the FP TD 4”? Will that interfere with performance after the Ivan flash? It’s really loud, racetrack loud.

As it is now, I think it’s lean because of all the popping. It popped all the time in all gears on or off throttle. Very unhappy with service by dealership.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and I just noticed on my bill that I was overcharged some $300. I think I might have to find a new Kawasaki dealership

·
Registered
657 Posts
A genuine Ivan's flash will stop all snap crackle popping completely... Unless they messed up the exhaust installation so bad that there's air getting in at the header clamps?

My local Kawasaki dealer messed up with my Nomad, and I've never been back there. I do all the work myself now, and I've found me to be much more trustworthy. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the idiot owner of the dealership that installed my FP duals also sent my ECU to someone else, not Ivan. Now he’s lying and saying Ivan used to work for guy who he sent it to. So I called Ivan’s and they told me no, your dealership is lying to you.

So I told the dealer to put my bike back to stock, except for the FP duals which don’t need an adjustment to the valves, according to Ivan all the need to do is put in the Ivan flashed ECU and disconnect the o2 sensor and everything should work out fine

This has been going on since May 26.....they don’t make it easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any suggestions on how to handle this? The dealer said if the flash doesn’t work, you’re on your own
Nice...way to stand behind your work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is just such a sad story Shade125 on many levels. The only time I had an issue with a motorcycle dealer was years ago. I was getting runaround on some faulty work they did that caused the rear axle hub to break. . I finally went to an attorney friend and he sent dealer a letter. All was good and repaired to my satisfaction shortly after.....and then I never went back.

Good luck.

Curious who they sent your ECU to instead of Ivan. Is there a link to who that is? I am up in Seattle area and know of only one local guy who does ECU reflash. He is well known but caters to the sport bike crowd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts