Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new bike (09 custom - midnight blue) is gonna be picked up tomorrow and this weeks wait has been absolutely brutal. Its gonna be hard to wipe the smile off my face once I'm finally riding it home.

Any suggestions for initial miles while trying to break my new baby in? I'm near Green Bay WI.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I want it today!! Feels like christmas when I was 9. I always ride as safe as possible, its always the others that are a bit of a worry.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I know what you mean... Patience may be a virtue, but it ain't no fun!

I've heard that you shouldn't ride a new vehicle at a constant speed for long periods of time. As long as you don't race it and otherwise just use it for normal riding for the first 500 miles, i don't think you'll have any problems.

You didn't say, but if you're a new rider, you might seriously consider a Motorcycle Safety Course in your area.

Congrats on the purchase, and ride safe. You're gonna love this bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the Moto Safety Course in 2006 and probably have about 15,000 miles of experience (not alot, but not just starting either). I definitely can say that I learned a ton of good stuff, they really do a good job of going through alot of different scenarios.

Rode a 81 KZ550 for the past 4 years. I've learned that there is just alot of things that happen that you can't control...you can only hope to control what you can.

I really wish texting was never invented, its one thing to talk on a phone while driving but texting goes into a whole new category. You would swear that some people were stone drunk while driving, but nope...you pass them and yep, they were texting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congatulations On Your New Ride

You really couldn't have made a better choice! I have ridden several differen't bikes over the years (Yes-including Harleys) and I dont think there is any better Bang for the Buck than the Kaw Vulcan series. I'm a retired GM electrician and have worked for 3 different Metric and American dealerships so I got a chance to play with a lot of the Toys and I absolutely love my 09 Vulcan 900 Custom.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My new bike (09 custom - midnight blue) is gonna be picked up tomorrow and this weeks wait has been absolutely brutal. Its gonna be hard to wipe the smile off my face once I'm finally riding it home.

Any suggestions for initial miles while trying to break my new baby in? I'm near Green Bay WI.
Report back to us on how many SMG's (Smiles per gallon) you get;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
kawiwerk...I know what u mean about the wait...I have a 900 custom...I actually like it better than my BMW.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got about 200 miles on the new custom already and I couldn't be happier, what a sweet ride. Already been tinkering on the bike and got it de-baffled and de-badged.

The bike really does get alot of looks and honestly I don't think I could be more pleased with my purchase.

The wife thinks I'm hot on the bike too, extra bonus.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Got about 200 miles on the new custom already and I couldn't be happier, what a sweet ride.
The owners manual should have some information on break in miles and speeds. Not sure how it works out but the Canadian equivalent is for the first 800KM's change gears at 35km, 50km, 60km, 80km, and keep the bike under 95 in 5th.

After the initial 800km's change gears at 40km, 60km, 90km, 100km, and keep the bike under 120 in 5th.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts