Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 6 week old VN2K with 1400 miles on it. The tranny has a serious clunk when shifting to any gear. I noticed that the clunk seemed to be not as bad when I changed the OEM oil at 550 but now is about the same as when new. I am running Castrol 10W40.

Does the clunk ever get any better?

Is there any thing I can do to prevent or ease the clunk?

Thanks,

Ride Safe

Bennett

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
this one just likes to say "kaahhhlunnnck"!

Does the clunk ever get any better? Is there any thing I can do to prevent or ease the clunk?
chirps, try shifting... less;) these are klunkers. my harley makes its own special noise(s). my guzzi knocks or maybe it rattles? its a dry plate w/hydraulic clutch. every machine makes some kind of special noise. this one just likes to say "kaahhhlunnnck" to let you know you changed a gear. consider it an audible feedback accessory at no extra charge. ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
chirps, try shifting... less;) these are klunkers. my harley makes its own special noise(s). my guzzi knocks or maybe it rattles? its a dry plate w/hydraulic clutch. every machine makes some kind of special noise. this one just likes to say "kaahhhlunnnck" to let you know you changed a gear. consider it an audible feedback accessory at no extra charge. ponch
I like Ponchs' explanation. "kaahhhlunnnck" Hey up there, yeah you, the unconscious one, I just changed gears, did you hear and feel it? Now shut your pie hole and ride biotch.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
i had the same clunk for several oil changes. I switched to amsoil synthetic and it is barely noticable.
bb's, is spelled b.e.a.r.'ly;) but this here bear doesn't miss much...well sometimes. this is what it looks like when you have a flat. is why you always need a back up pooch. just in case you have a flat...pooch

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Huh?

bb's, bear'ly is spelled b.e.a.r.'ly;) but this here bear doesn't miss much...well sometimes. this is what it looks like when you have a flat. is why you always need a back up pooch. just in case you have a flat...pooch
You're joking, right???:eek:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
'sno joke, its the bear truth

You're joking, right???:eek:
nope, tis true b.e.a.r'ly. look it up. right next to bearometer and bear-bq. you might find bearocracy full of bearocrats. so now you know the bear facts. out, ponch

·
Registered
42 Posts
B.E.A.R.necessities

Ponch,don't leave without that cot. we're both to old to be sleepin on the ground.On Sept.25,2009, after having my 06 Classic 2000 for less than 2 months and less than 2000 mi. on the clock, I left for a 6 day 5 night excursion from Pa. thru Md., W.Va., Va. to Tenn. to ride the notorious Tale of the Dragon. I rode the dragon into N.C. During my 7 state trip I too carried a Cabela's cot. It wieghed 40 lb. It was a pain to strap down and keep it from shifting about. However it was a comfortable place to sleep in my tent. without the cot my old back couldn't B.E.A.R. it.
I would be very interested in reading about your trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Did you fly to Va. to pick up the trike? How did you get the trike to Va? Did you camp on the trip? ect. You can communicate P.M.7th state was Kentucky while in VA. i went to Breaks Inerstate Park its located in Va. and Kentucky.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try not to worry about the noise. I will also try not to ask any more stupid questions either.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The clunk. Totally normal, shift hard and firm, dont baby these bikes. I just changed oil and used Kawi synthetic blend and is now a litle smoother but its just the nature of the beast. I like stomping out the gears using my heel, sure, positive shifting at its best. You really know that your in gear with these bikes. If you get any klackety klak while shifting then your babying the bike, dont be afraid to ride hard and shift hard, you wont break it.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
noises in the night.. it's just a b'ar in the trash can.

I'll try not to worry about the noise. I will also try not to ask any more stupid questions either.
cm, there is no such thing. but you can certainly try. God knows most all of us give it a good whack evernow n then. we dont mind it gives us something to do and is entertaining to boot. 'sides we be most likely change the subject anyway, so there ask away. out, ponch

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've found that the shift is less noisy if I'm up at a good rpm and shift quickly. Even on my '05 Nomad and '03 Mean Streak, if I shifted lazily at a low rpm they would clunk, too.

LEW in Durango

1 - 18 of 18 Posts