Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rolled 11,000 miles on my 1700. The MOM says replace the air cleaner element every 11,250 mi. I am there.

I just took a look at the factory element for the first time. Mine is dirty and somewhat oily. It definitely looks like a restrictive and inefficient air intake set up. I'm not doing anything about an aftermarket intake.

Would you buy the direct replacement or something from K&N or elsewhere?

Here's the stocker...

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I replaced the stock air filter the third day I had it....

I have K&N on all my motorcycles and cars... Look on Amazon and ebay. Got mine off ebay... or autozone and most auto parts places can order it. Cost twice as much than the stock filter, but it is the last one you will buy...

They are easy to get.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Realistically if you have stock pipes...the increased flow of the K&N may not do you much good.

I have the K&N filter on all 3 of my bikes...definitely a good investment, but I have aftermarket pipes on all of them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I replace mine with stock Kawasaki filters twice a year or every 20-25,000 miles and they never look as dirty as yours does. Are you running your oil level a bit too high?

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replace mine with stock Kawasaki filters twice a year or every 20-25,000 miles and they never look as dirty as yours does. Are you running your oil level a bit too high?
Oil level is right. That's a lot of miles, gv550.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
will be replacing mine with the K&N filter here soon. Between the ODO getting ready to hit 11k, and the new pipes coming in late this week, it's time.

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW best price on the K&N looked like $54 at 2wheelpartssupply.com . However I had two credit cards declined by their system while trying to buy from them yesterday. No live customer support was available for me when I tried phoning them (M-Fri only). Today they replied to my email inquiry saying their processing system declined both cards due to an AVS (Address Verification System) error. Strange. :mad:

I ordered from K&N through Amazon. A few $$ more, free shipping. Same credit card worked great. Hopefully i'll have it in a few days. :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I run the stock filter and exhaust. I do not let the weather stop my rides and don't want to risk sucking anything into the bike. Mine also look a lot cleaner than the one in the photo When I change them.

Dang Garry, that is crazy miles! Are you constantly touring, or just have a super long commute every day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dang Garry, that is crazy miles! Are you constantly touring, or just have a super long commute every day.
No commute, just love to ride............. short rides, long rides, month-long tours, that's what bikes are for!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got the K&N reusable filter for around $40 on Amazon last year and oddly enough I noticed better fuel economy right away! I have aftermarket pipes as well.

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed mine yesterday. My old one was original, 11K miles, looked like hell. I noticed a performance improvement. Why I didn't do this one sooner is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Just order a K&N for mine. Figured while I'm in some down time due to the prep for my office move and waiting on new exhaust seal gaskets, i WILL get a few more things ordered and do them all at once. Once I get the seals and the K&N in and can get those on (most likely not until after June 1), will finish tweaking the EJK and post those results for anyone that it may help

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ordered the K&N this week. Have been running the FP True Duals with Cobra Power Pro since last year. Just want to open things up a little bit to see if performance improves any further!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Went for a 350km run last weekend with the new K&N filter and all I can say is WOW! I am shocked at the difference. Now I realize how "starved" the bike was for air. It just ran better in every conceivable way. Idled and accelerated smoother, and performed better. Noticed fewer backfires too. Just seem to have a much happier Vaq now and the ride is that much more enjoyable. Wish I did this a long time ago!

·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...Now I realize how "starved" the bike was for air. It just ran better in every conceivable way. Idled and accelerated smoother, and performed better. Noticed fewer backfires too. Just seem to have a much happier Vaq now and the ride is that much more enjoyable. Wish I did this a long time ago!
I have a bone-stock FI system and only slightly debaffled my pipes. I guess my 1700 was gasping for air too. I also notice that "happier bike" feeling. It runs great pulls like a horse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts