·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tenminimum

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Sometimes, the gradual pull of a breaker bar just does not do it on these types of nuts. A couple of ideas:

1. Impact wrench. I have had impact wrenches break free nuts that a four foot bar would not budge. If this is not practical, then
2. Put your socket on the shortest, stoutest bar you have. The idea is to minimize flex.
Put a penny between the gears so that they will not turn. A penny works good as they are soft enough not to mar the gears yet strong enough not to chew up.
Now, strike the bar with a good sharp blow. The thing here is to deliver a quick impact to the nut to break it free. I have had success with this method, too. It might just work for you.

Now for the usual ceveat... try at your own peril!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
What does this do, change the ratio for less RPMs?
I see the 2 sets of gears are different, one set looks to be 1:1 and the other is not

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Penny in gear is good trick. You can also have someone sit on the bike and stand on the rear brake with the bike in gear, that usually works on bikes with a chain drive.

I would have opted for Door #1 (impact wrench). CAVEAT (for those less experienced with impact wrenches in various situations): use the absolute MINIMUM torque setting. Start with the lowest setting and graduate up each increment until one setting budges the nut or bolt.

One other thing: Rehab is not for quitters (note there are two "t"s in "quitters"), it is for winners. The sign you read was probably written by someone still out there doing research for the rest of us who are in recovery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
mr. 125 or 250? either way is 50 too much.;)
Hey i want to lose weight,and i want to go faster.250 is fully dressed, helmet, gloves ,boots, glasses, jaket, socks ,T-shirt ,watch,pocket knife, loose change,pocket lint ,hearing aid (s),False theeth, tooupe,truckers wallet with chain and belt loop,belt with leatherman tool (which i used to install my EURO GEARING),and chaeter glasses (to read my speedin ticket),so whatya think probbly180 striped down to my speedo?and you be a wuss,you never been over 75 mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
heat, am with you on the rehab thing and think you are doing a marvelous thing...recovery. not everybody can or will. but do appreciate those who have redeemed themselves from being owned by something else. alcohol had not been something I abused but at age 28 I had been smoking 12yrs and was pushing 3 packs a day. A workaholic, my ticker.. I didnt think I'd make 30. b-t 2 kids needed me to be there and made me think different. So I killed that beast that had me by the throat. 6 months of 1 hour.. 1 day at a time till I knew the taste of victory. I was a bastard to live with. work was all I ever knew and I got even busier. I punched so many holes thru walls with my fist than I could patch. never did hit a stud.. that woulda hurt. anyway, in a small way I understand. Redemption is not easily won. dont ever let it go. I never did. out, ponch
aPONCH below the belt. see #9,
and by the way we need ya too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Ponch, good for you for quitting tobacco. I have been nicotine free for 15 years. Drug and alcohol free and active recovery for 16 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts