Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my recent "quitting" thread, it was suggested to reward ourselves(my wife and I) for quitting smoking(aint there yet, but today is 10 days smoke-free). Our reward to ourselves is to save the money we would've spent on smoking and take a trip on the MS next June or July. We've decided to take 18 days, run about 3000 miles and hit 6 states. Our trip will head west through Kansas, to Ft Collins Co. and head south by southwest from there, riding wherever the roads take us. For us the mandatory stops in Colorado are, riding Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak, and the Royal Gorge. Once we get to southwest Colorado we'll continue on to the Grand Canyon and then head east through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and back to Kansas. What I would like to do if we can make this trip a reality is to meet as many fellow forum members along the way as we can. Let me know if you're in one of those states and we'll see if we can hook up!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Now that you've quit the cigarettes, I assure you that it will be easier to breathe at the higher elevations :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
congrats now everything will taste better.ive quit about 15 years.i snack more so i gained weight.i try to eat apples bananas fruit etc stuff thats better forya.

·
Registered
257 Posts
well

Well, along with adding up the days of not smoking, now you can start counting down the days until that wonderful adventure of yours!

Sounds like a great motivation.

Congratulation, btw, on your process of quitting smoking!:D

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Amen, as I said in the other thread, keep up the good work my friend.

If you swing by Wichita Falls, Texas on your way back to Kansas, let me know and we'll hook up for lunch or dinner on me.:)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amen, as I said in the other thread, keep up the good work my friend.

If you swing by Wichita Falls, Texas on your way back to Kansas, let me know and we'll hook up for lunch or dinner on me.:)
Wichita Falls has been added to my map:D If we can make this trip a reality, I will take you up on that!:D

Now my wife and I are talking about making it even more of an adventure by packing some minimal gear and camp part of the time. I've also realized that I need to start getting some gear for the MS as well. A seat is on the top of that list, lol! As much as I dislike the idea, I'm also considering putting a windshield on it, I've never been a fan of windshields, but for an 18 day road trip I don't think we'll be able to avoid rain so a shield would make traveling in the rain much better.

·
Registered
254 Posts
10 Days....GREAT !!! Congratulations to both of you. Wish you continued success. Sounds like a Great Trip you have planned. Personally I couldn't imagine riding without my windshield but each to his own comfort and enjoyment. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
windshield

I go back and forth on the windshield thing too - in fact, the issue of the windshield was a significant reason I went with the Classic instead of the Classic LT, but for long interstate rides or cross country rides I'm contemplating this.

We will see...:confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in Longmont, CO, about 40 minutes south of Ft. Collins.

I'll be here all of June and have 3 day weekends all summer (friday-sunday), but I'll be in and out in July, so depending on when you take your trip maybe we can meet up and get in some riding time.

There are TONS of great roads just to the west of me.

There is a great little loop that can easily be done in a couple of hours to a full day depending on how much of it you do. Starts in a town called Lyons (about 30 minutes or so SW of Ft. Collins) take Rt36 to Estes Park. Stop for lunch in Estes, see the sights, or wander down mainstreet to hit the shops. Then you follow Rt7 out of Estes either back to Lyons for a short day, or you can hop on Rt72 to Nederland and then down Boulder Canyon to Boulder. Grab a quick dinner in Boulder and then shoot up a different section of Rt36 back to Lyons.

Here's a map of the full loop. The shorter loop keeps you on 7 at Allenspark and takes you right back to Lyons.
Google map of the loop route

For your trip down to Mt. Evans, I'd suggest getting to Boulder again where you can pick up Hwy93 to Golden. It's a decently curvy road with some great views of the mountains. In Golden, head west on Rt6 (lots of turns as your follow a river through a mountain valley. 6 tunnels as well as you cut through the hills) to Idaho Springs where you can pick up 103 which will take you right to Mt. Evans. Eventually you'll pick up 74 which takes you back to Idaho Springs so you can run Rt6 again in the other direction back to Golden.

Map of that Boulder to Evans and back loop:
Google map of the Evans route

If you're going to be spending a decent amount of time in CO, let me know if you need any campgrounds or lodging scoped out.

-Will

·
Registered
128 Posts
a few years ago i was working in loveland i day i went to estes park and i think the name was thundermountain h.d. was nice .

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah i found a t shirt i bought thunder mountain harley davidson in loveland co i had a vrod back then. that ride to estes park and the whole area is breathtaking.you will sure have a good time.harley dealers always have nice t shirts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hows the no smoking going for you two? It has been over a month now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts