Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh the life of being a noob. Riding around on my new to me 2012 Nomad that I picked up a few weeks ago. Back in 1984 I bought a new Yamaha XT350 which I had a lot of fun on for a couple of years until I did an unintended handstand at about 40 mph while jumping a ditch. Fast forward thru life to 2012, which is when I began lurking on this forum, and bought a mint 86 KLR250 which was fine for me but the wife wasn't having any part of the skinny seat without backrest. Sold that after about a year, moved from Houston to Nashville in 2014, observed the rolling hills of God's country, and the Vulcan Forum led me to purchase a 2008 Vulcan 900LT which I had for about a year before I decided I needed a bigger ride for the highways, so I sold the 900 in 2015 (which is a great bike btw) and purchased a 2009 1700LT...which I sold in early 2016 because I am stupid I think. And now I have learned the error of my ways and have purchased my 2012 Nomad which I swear, to my wife anyway, is my last bike purchase.

My "noob" status is because 1) I don't seem to keep bikes too long and 2) before this recent purchase I am that guy who takes his bike to the overpriced local shop to perform the routine maintenance. To paint a clearer picture, although I have been lurking here for several years, only last week did I finally see a post inquiring of the bolt size on oil pan, I actually knew the answer since I had just done my first ever oil change by myself and I was so excited to actually be able to answer something that I rushed to type the reply....only to realize I forgot my password so I couldn't log in. Lost my chance to add value to the forum. 3) Yesterday, while cruising about 75 on my home turf (aka where the cops aren't) I came up on a small group of touring Harley riders. I intentionally set my cruise control on so I could casually wave at them with my right hand as I passed them. A true Noob cool move, until some hours later while watching Games of Thrones it suddenly occurred to me that they prolly had cruise control also. Oh well, I am a Noob.

But I do have a few observations for my fellow noobs:
1. When the experts on here state "it's easy to do and only takes 15 minutes...figure it will take you four times as long and the degree of difficulty will range from medium to almost impossible for an unmechanical Noob.

2. The difference between 900/1700 and 5/6 gears on the highway is the difference between a Cadillac and an "insert any small car here".

3. Stock exhaust is fine.....until you ride your bike for the first time with your upgraded slip ons, in my case V&H slip ons, it has a "testosterone increase" effect...

4. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that swapping your stock grips for ISO grips because, well, it's easy...their may be no greater frustration in life than trying to get those stupid stock end cap thingys off. Geez Louise, I had visions of taking a sledgehammer to em...but I got em off.

5. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that you're ready to do your own oil change because, well, it's easy...just know their is a 50/50 chance you'll have to take the ole flathead screwdriver to the filter to get that sucker undone like I did. But I got it...

6. If you decide to put a visor on your headlight because the video you watched showed them doing it in exactly 1 minute and 38 seconds....just know that their is a chance their is nothing for the visor to clamp onto so you have to figure something out. Think 15 minutes.

7. If you decide after reading this forum that you must have your ECU flashed by Ivan, of which I did, just know that I engaged in a classic MMA fight utilizing a rear naked choke and a suplex to get that ECU out of it's rubber mount....I got it tho and it is on it's way to Ivan.

8. A driver backrest is a HUGE improvement on driver comfort.

9. Last but not least....RACNRAY is sneaky wise. I was in my Noob ignorant bliss and had no idea that I had a slight throttle delay...until I read his thread and all the comments. Now, every time I twist the throttle for the first time I notice the delay, I think of RACNRAYS throttle mod, and I already have necessary future dollar signs going thru my head. Sometimes it's just easier being a Noob I tell ya. PS: to this point, sure is a hard sell on the wife, she's like "seriously?, a slight delay? The bike still looks pretty"....

Sorry to be long winded but in my defense I have been lurking for four years so I've "saved up" my comments.

I really just wanted to say thank you to all those who supply a wealth of great knowledge that has already saved me a ton of money (and cost me) by giving me direction on how to maximize the performance of my bike and the know how to tackle some basic maintenance items that I wouldn't have done in the past.

Shout out to anyone in the Nashville area! Ride Safe All

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I got excited when I read NOOB, without my glasses on, I thought this thread was about something else, oh silly me!!!!

(Just kidding) great write up and yes you are right on a lot of the points, but that is why we love doing things for each other, it helps us save money, feel more connected to the motorcycle and we understand something better when it breaks, people on this board are very helpful and the answer to what you seek is only a search away.

Welcome, glad you remembered your password and only use the word NOOB in big font for people like me!!!

Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Ahh the life of being a noob. Riding around on my new to me 2012 Nomad that I picked up a few weeks ago.
But I do have a few observations for my fellow noobs:
1. When the experts on here state "it's easy to do and only takes 15 minutes...figure it will take you four times as long and the degree of difficulty will range from medium to almost impossible for an unmechanical Noob.

2. The difference between 900/1700 and 5/6 gears on the highway is the difference between a Cadillac and an "insert any small car here".

4. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that swapping your stock grips for ISO grips because, well, it's easy...their may be no greater frustration in life than trying to get those stupid stock end cap thingys off. Geez Louise, I had visions of taking a sledgehammer to em...but I got em off.

5. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that you're ready to do your own oil change because, well, it's easy...just know their is a 50/50 chance you'll have to take the ole flathead screwdriver to the filter to get that sucker undone like I did. But I got it...

8. A driver backrest is a HUGE improvement on driver comfort.

9. Last but not least....RACNRAY is sneaky wise. I was in my Noob ignorant bliss and had no idea that I had a slight throttle delay...until I read his thread and all the comments. Now, every time I twist the throttle for the first time I notice the delay, I think of RACNRAYS throttle mod, and I already have necessary future dollar signs going thru my head.
LMAO Noob! I have experienced and completely agree with every one of your numbered items that I've re-posted based on my 6 months with my 2011 Nomad (purchased as a new leftover in November 2015, believe it or not!). Not saying I disagree with the others; just that I've experienced each of these.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Well we all have to start somewhere and something's are easier for some than others. Things will get easier for you as get a few more miles on ya. As far as #2 is concerned, when I look down at the speedo and it says 90. I don't think about the difference, I just look in my mirror and smile.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
What a beautiful looking bike- love the colours!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may be right although my wife will have a conniption...where in middle tenn are you two wheel?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed Diggles!...

Reactions: Diggles

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You may be right although my wife will have a conniption...where in middle tenn are you two wheel?
Lincoln county. The closest I get to Nashville is Murfreesboro to the southeast, and Leipers Fork to the southwest.

Not a city person at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As a fellow noob I loved reading this. I just got rid of a 750 Shadow ACE and jumped up to a 1500 Classic and couldn't be happier. The 750ACE has a pretty good forum (I do think it's set up better) but as far as wealth of information, it's nothing like this one. I've owned my 1500 for about 4 weeks or so now. I knew about a few issues when I bought the bike but I got what I think is a pretty good deal on her so I didn't mind. New rear tire, new final drive boot, and new spark plugs later, I can't tell you how valuable this forum is. Without it, I never would have gotten the drive shaft apart to get the new boot on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts