Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last week I completed the motorcycle safety course and got my license. Bear in mind, I've never ridden a motorcycle before last week (after purchasing my bike on sale, I had to let it sit in the garage while I waited to get my license).

I've finally put some miles on the bike and am totally in love. :D The first 150 I've put on it has been great. I took the bike around the back roads for awhile, and have ridden it into work as well. If you'd looked at me, you would have seen the big smile plastered on my face.

Today, my new Mustang seat arrived and I installed it this evening, but we've got severe thunderstorms here, so I haven't ridden it yet. I'm looking forward to riding into work on Thursday and giving it a workout (supposed to rain until then).

Thought you'd guys would like to see a few pics:

Here's a better view of the new seat:

The tank bib, gear indicator (left), and GPS mount (right):

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is a nice looking beast, love the drag bars and flat black paint. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
LOVE those flat black SE's. LOVELY bike!! Any plans to get black mirrors and/or black pipes?

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Great looking scoot and congrats on sompleting the MSF. If you want to learn more about riding and surviving on the roads, I can't recommend the following book more. I read it after many years of riding and was taught many things and shown some wrong things I was doing too.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well [Paperback]
Always under $20 on Amazon

Amazon link

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hey newboy, get the matching flat black engine guards on that bike. NOW is the most likely time for you to tip over at low/no speed. Engine guards will make a simple whoops out of a 3-400 dollar mistake.

Bike looks great and I have the same seat, very comfortable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great looking scoot and congrats on sompleting the MSF. If you want to learn more about riding and surviving on the roads, I can't recommend the following book more. I read it after many years of riding and was taught many things and shown some wrong things I was doing too.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well [Paperback]
Always under $20 on Amazon

Amazon link
Thanks, guys.

I actually have already read that book (and am making my way through it a second time now that I'm actually on the road). While I was waiting on my license, I used the time to read a few books: Proficient Motorcycling, How To Ride A Motorcycle: A Rider's Guide to Strategy, Safety and Skill Development (Pat Hahn, who also wrote Ride Hard, Ride Smart which I haven't picked up yet), The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right (2nd Edition). I was kind of excited to get on the bike, so I thought I'd read up on it as much as I could.

Engine guards on probably my next purchase. Flat black mirrors would be cool, but they're not a priority. I'm hesitant to replace the pipes mainly because I'm in and out at late/early hours and I feel the noise from the pipes right now works for me the way it is.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh -- and lowering the back end is on my eventual project list. It doesn't bother me the way it is now, but I'm starting to think about it, so I figure I'll probably do that maybe before riding season is over.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great looking bike! I have the same Vulcan, although I went with the Corbin seat and a few other mods...take a look at the link to photo bucket. Still in the process of trying to hunt down some stock 09 black exhaust that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was looking into getting a Mustang seat on my 900 Custom. the seat looks like it's two pieces, I was wondering if it is possible to exclude the rear seat and just have the solo seat on the bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking into getting a Mustang seat on my 900 Custom. the seat looks like it's two pieces, I was wondering if it is possible to exclude the rear seat and just have the solo seat on the bike?
Sorry, but the mustang seat you see in my pics is one piece. You can't use it solo, but I *think* Mustang makes a solo seat that is similar (I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm hesitant to replace the pipes mainly because I'm in and out at late/early hours and I feel the noise from the pipes right now works for me the way it is.
You can look around for some of the flat black pipes off of the '09 Custom SE. Same pipes, still baffled, just black... *if* you'd like to further the blacked out look. Might even find someone that would want to trade. The bike looks good either way, though. :D

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Getting a new bike is always awesome, getting a new bike and a license is even more special, congrats on the sharp looking ride, its a great bike that is suited to all abilities of riding skill, you chose well.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have been wondering what the tank bib with pocket looked like. I like the spot you put the gear indicator at, it blends in really well. Personally I like the chrome pipes on the flat black. Kinda nice contrast. Like a leather and lace thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts