Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the dumb stuff i've done to my Vaquero

here are some pictures of stuff i've done to my bike

normal stuff like USB thingy, i didnt buy the over priced cowpie parts, just a $5 ebay special. i found out that its actually a cigar lighter with a slide in USB charger, which is fine by me incase somebody still rocks a cigar plug charger and needs some help.

the other side i put a flush mount SAE connector, i run a set of Aerostitch grip warmers in the winter and they are powered from SAE, as well as my air pump and other accessories

my new pipes, see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnB532pytoU&feature=youtu.be
see thread pipe install

loud horn, i just made a easy adapter for the mount and mounted in the stock location. i did have to increase the fuse amperage from 10 to 15amps

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Avon grips with the throttle mod

Klock Werks wind screen

bag liners from amazon, they are full length and half as tall, which is perfect for me as i keep my chaps on top of the bag for easy access... the other side is a smaller bag to as i keep a 1 gal gas can in there on the long trips

audio adapter wired directly into the back of the plug

sissy bar and luggage rack, its a home fab - i am using the kawasaki sissy bar mounts though, and the pictures it not powder coated yet
the mounts where bad enough at $160, but to charge $560 for a sissy bar is freaking unacceptable. im sure they wonder why they dont sell... i get that its a quick release, and keyed to the ignition key but come on... anyway im not a parts catalog kinda guy anyway. the pad may get changed in the future as this is just a $10 special vinyl and crap padding, it was more to get the project going than anything else. but 20ft of 1/2x1/2 square stock cost me $10 i used maybe 12ft, the other 8 will be for my brothers sissy bar on his victory.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course the highway bars

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also did a headlight modulator so during the day it cycles the headlight to get the attention of cagers, no picture here if you're interested just google headlight modulator

next up is some LED driving lights im going to mount to the crash bar. more light at night and more visibility during the day. it rains a lot at night here and i cant see well at night so im hoping this will help. pics when done

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
My thought's, it's better than stock.. looks awesome. but could be about 2 inches taller.. Harley has one at 11" tall..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what are your thoughts about the klock werks shield ( pro + con' s )
didnt get much use on it yet, as i installed it friday, and only had saturday to ride in, but it does block more wind on my face, im 6'1" and usually wear a 3/4, before my whole head was in the wind, now its just a breeze on my face at 65mph, didnt get much faster than that when i was paying attention to the wind screen. but as stated it could be taller. but for my purposes i think it will be fine. and if you dont have heart burn with using a drill on your stock screen you could use the stock screen as a spacer to mount the klock werks up taller. i may go that route for LONG rides

But the biggest reason for getting it was so i could hear my radio and it seems to be high enough that i can still hear the sterio now. i dont know about 80mph+ yet but i can hear better at that 60-70 range now

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
didnt get much use on it yet, as i installed it friday, and only had saturday to ride in, but it does block more wind on my face, im 6'1" and usually wear a 3/4, before my whole head was in the wind, now its just a breeze on my face at 65mph, didnt get much faster than that when i was paying attention to the wind screen. but as stated it could be taller. but for my purposes i think it will be fine. and if you dont have heart burn with using a drill on your stock screen you could use the stock screen as a spacer to mount the klock werks up taller. i may go that route for LONG rides

But the biggest reason for getting it was so i could hear my radio and it seems to be high enough that i can still hear the sterio now. i dont know about 80mph+ yet but i can hear better at that 60-70 range now
RacnRay did this.. I may be trying this too.. I just have to order the windshild fairing bolts. But agree.. works awesome for anything less than 70

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Looks cool!

I don't mind the $30 or so for the 12v socket. The $120 iPod connector is steep, for sure. But I guess at least "acceptable". But looking at close to $700 (by the time you get the bracket and everything) for the KQR sissy bar and luggage rack is just insane. Nobody makes a good looking chrome aftermarket one, so I'm probably gonna end up with one. But man they are STEEP. No wonder they lock. Worth more than some bikes on the road!

It's all OEM's. Flip through HD, Honda, anyones catalog and you'll be astounded at the prices. Often, it's not really much better than aftermarket! Sometimes the aftermarket is better!

Hopefully, the aftermarket begins to build on these bikes giving us more options.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Looks cool!

I don't mind the $30 or so for the 12v socket. The $120 iPod connector is steep, for sure. But I guess at least "acceptable". But looking at close to $700 (by the time you get the bracket and everything) for the KQR sissy bar and luggage rack is just insane. Nobody makes a good looking chrome aftermarket one, so I'm probably gonna end up with one. But man they are STEEP. No wonder they lock. Worth more than some bikes on the road!

It's all OEM's. Flip through HD, Honda, anyones catalog and you'll be astounded at the prices. Often, it's not really much better than aftermarket! Sometimes the aftermarket is better!

Hopefully, the aftermarket begins to build on these bikes giving us more options.
Hahaha, at " worth more than some bikes on the road" I would even install the nomad sissy bar.. I can't even locate one of them.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hahaha, at " worth more than some bikes on the road" I would even install the nomad sissy bar.. I can't even locate one of them.
I actually like the looks of the Kawi sisssy bar and since I have a thick aftermarket seat, IMHO, it looks better with than without a sissybar. So I don't care about the quick release aspect.

The problem with the Nomad sissy bar is the trim piece on the Vaquero's saddlebags. You'd have to cut into that. And I just don't wanna do that. I've never been a fan of cutting and grinding on my scoots.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
imma powder coat the sissy bar/rack black. chrome irritates me

but yeah its highway robbery, im sure any custom bike shop in your area could twist you up a sissy bar for no more than $250 probably cheaper, naturally coating would be extra, but hell they even have a chrome powder coat now

im sure you could modify another 1700's sissy bar to the bike, but without having the part in hand i didnt want to try it blind, and mine is perfect height for the wife, and big enough rack to carry my c-bag easily.. and ill be into it a total of $60-80 by the time its coated well plus the $160 for the mounts.. would have been less if it fit my my brothers oven, we'd have powder coated it ourselves

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never been a fan of cutting and grinding on my scoots.
the vaquero sissy bar mounts require you to dill into that plastic trim piece, in four total places for the spacers to go though and bolt into the frame

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
the vaquero sissy bar mounts require you to dill into that plastic trim piece, in four total places for the spacers to go though and bolt into the frame
Yeah, but it's pre-marked and it's not NEARLY as invasive as installing something like the Nomad sissy bar, at least to my eye.

·
Registered
99 Posts
thx for posting a reply I'm kinda on the fence with the klockwerks shield it does look cool. a ton of research went in to that thing to develop it. looking for something somewhat sporty and cool, not a wind sail, but also has to function and block the turbulence I get from stock shield

SKULLSHAKER

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
mounted up my auxilary lights.... might be too bright to actually every use....

i mounted 2 CREE 2x3 4" LEDs to my crash bars, they are only 16watts each but holy cow, they are bright. ill get a picture of sitting in the saddle

i planed smooth and milled the clutch lever clamp, for a switch. i was looking at various aftermarket bar switches and $60-150 seemed a little out of control from a simple swith, i could have wired up a latching relay to a momentary button, but i like positive engagement switches and this was on hand, and has a built in LED. i wired everything else into the already existing proviosions for aux lights, so in affect i only added a switch inline to the lights only. i had red some complaints about the aux light being on when the bike is in aux power only, this could drain a battery pretty good.

the clamp still needs paint, but ill take care of that when i get some spray paint. i should add that the since the kawasaki lights are incandesant they draw much higher amps than these LEDs do, 32w is close to 4 amps if i do my math right, course i could run it though my meter to see but im not worried about it.

here is the lights, not aimed yet, but they are easily brighter than the headlight (ON HIGH BEAM) and my buddy in the car in front of me the other night said... yeah my eyes were bleeding...

i didnt use the aux lights holes in the fairing because
a) these dont fill the void
b) i might want to get the kawasaki lights at some point hand have "reasonable to use" aux lights for day time visablilty... if my headlight modulator isn't enought

but these LED's are on there for those dark lonely roads im a fan of, its pretty much light driving with a sun on the front of my bike lighting the way for me

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
definitely can find stuff in the dark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts