Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two riders were killed in my area recently. The dreaded left turn in front of you that you can't miss. What do you guys do to avoid it? I brake and just assume everyone is going to turn left in front of me.

I suppose some cases are unavoidable but it seems to be the major cause of accidents. They literally don't see us. What can we do to change that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi,
well, 4 wheelers are enclosed in their coocoon, they don't see us cause they're busy texting,
or their minds are drifting somewhere else beside the happannings on the road.
therefore, it's our responsibility to get in to their minds to predict the next move, in order to stay alive,
so, ride as the road detects you, don't overtake in high speed,
don't ride along side the cars jammed in traffic, as they always try to escape to the left without signaling,
defently use the horn several times, use high beam on/off also, (front light on, all year long)
make all needed procuations to let them know you're there.
always expect the worse and stay alert- its caos out there.

have a safe ride.

Raz

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The power of three. Over 30 years ago when Honda 750-4s and Kawasaki 750 ninja's (widow makers, I rode some of them they earned that name the hard way) four wheeler's always pulled out in front of you, ALWAYS! A few years ago when my youngest was in the last semester of college, I bought a used basic Nomad. And the pattern continued until I put a light bar on the Nomad. Suddenly, the pull out rate dropped to about the same as the pull out rate in my truck.

On the Nomad the difference was dramatic. From the first ride with the light bar there was a noticeable difference.

Since then I have owned 3 bikes. A Voyager and a Heritage Soft Tail with the power of three and a Vulcan 900 without. The pull out rate on the 900 was much higher. I only owned the 900 for a short time but the difference was very noticeable.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
+1 to what TS said.

Put a light bar up front; it will make a big difference.
Wear a light colored helmet or a light colored jacket; black blends into the background too easily.

People don't have to be texting or preoccupied to miss us.
Reflected light is caught by our eyes; but all that information is processed by our brain. And our brain very good at discarding information that it subconsciously determines is irrelevant.

I'd suggest a Wolo Bad boy air horn too.

Scott

·
Registered
412 Posts
My buddy has what looks like a chrome finish on his helmet with a translucent blue top coat and when the sun or headlights hit it, it looks to be the same color as the blue light from a police car. The height combined with the color has a tendency to get people attention out of their phones and back on the road if only briefly. I also always notice bikes with headlight modulators more quickly than without.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I put on a light bar and keep the headlight on high beam day or night.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I doubt any of these things would have saved me, as the girl who nailed me didn't even glance at anything except the green traffic light after she looked up from her phone. She would have pulled out in front of a semi, a train, or a police car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The light bar does help at times. Another thing to remember is that the second you get on the bike you become invisible to everyone until you get off the bike. A statement I've made more than once, if they can't see me in a full size pickup, how the heck do you think they'll see me on a bike?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Using lights and light colors on your bike or gear isn't 100% effective at all times.
It isn't a replacement for good technique and staying aware.

But, it does work, it works significantly better than loud pipes and it works infinitely better than complaining online about how cagers are morons.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Agree with the addition of spots to be seen. The bigger the triangle they make with the headlight, the more likely you are to be noticed.

A headlight modulator is helpful, too. There are some idiots that think that a light flashing twice a second continuously is an invitation for them to go, but I have far less folks turning in front of me with the modulator on than without.

A couple of months ago, I had a school bus turn in front of me at the same intersection that a car had the day before. Only 2 times this year.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Squads, ambulances, firetrucks get hit all the time, how do people not see them with all their lights?!
People being allowed to drive that have no business (or ability) trying to do so. Getting a license in this country is way, WAY too easy and keeping it after trying time and time again to prove to the DMV you don't have the skill is way too easy as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Every little bit helps. From being seen, extra lights/colors/modulators/loud pipes/horn, even a horned helmet and yo-yo eyeballs.

Just remember They (cages) DO NOT CARE. well most of them do not.

Just remember they (everbody) are GOING TO KILL YOU.

Have fun and be safe. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Every little bit helps. From being seen, extra lights/colors/modulators/loud pipes/horn, even a horned helmet and yo-yo eyeballs.

Just remember They (cages) DO NOT CARE. well most of them do not.

Just remember they (everbody) are GOING TO KILL YOU.

Have fun and be safe.
I see people post that kind of hyperbole all the time and I do understand the frustration that causes it. BUT......

The OVERWHELMING majority of people on the road DO NOT want to get into any kind of accident and would be emotionally devastated if something they did or didn't do resulted in a death.

Most drivers on the road are reasonably attentive and have adequate driving skills.
It would be better if more people were HIGHLY attentive and HIGHLY skilled; but it is what it is.

If "everyone were out to kill you" as so many motorcyclists like to express; none of us would last a thousand miles.

It probably won't happen without legislating a more thorough licensing procedure; but to improve the safety of our roads (for everyone) we need to focus on real problems, texting, excessive speed, aggressive driving.

We, as motorcyclists; also need to admit that our choices and actions play a HUGE role in what happens to us.

Plain and simple; we are hard to see.
If we don't choose visually conspicuous colors; practice and refine our skills and ride highly aware of our surroundings.
Maybe it's us that's "out to kill ourselves".

Scott

P.S. Not trying to single you out.
A lot of people post those kinds of statements and you're welcome to feel how you like. I just think it's bad advice for the question the OP asked.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I do not take it personally. Perhaps I mis-spoke.

What I ment is that all car's,truck's,semi's, some animals, if involved with a bike, at most speeds. Will at best make for a bad day. Hell a bee or bird to the face or under one's helmet at speed is very un-nerving to say the least.
The cages may not be "out to Kill you" but they will or most likely will mess you up good, for good.

All motorcyclist should ride with this in mind at all times. Your fault there fault "YOU LOSE"

Yes most motorist are aware and care to not get into an accident.
There is an alarming % of drivers who do not.
If they cared they would not text/talk/loud radio/etc.

Yes there are a % motorcyclist and cager's that are a bunch of As- h-ls, and ride way to aggressive.
I believe the OP and everyone needs to be aware at all times, and prepare for the worst.

Just my .02

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always assumed (foolish, I know) that people understand when I state they are out to kill you, its a statement to ride that way, not a actual call on the intentions of the drivers.

That said, I think you're right, we have enough us vs them BS going around it'd probably be best we all start being more clear about these statements. If we keep talking hatefully about cagers and always looking down on them why should they work with us on legislation or driving habits that better keep us alive?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
On multilane in-town roads I ride in the right lane, try to ride to the rear of a cage as a marker in their left lane with enough clearance so that if that cager pulls into my lane without warning there won't be a crash, and far enough to the rear so that if they use their right mirror they can see me. Headlight modulator may help (I don't have one) but with local shops very near the roadway and the local building color scheme trending to bright colors along with some flashing signs that makes it more difficult for drivers pick out and see bikers from the surroundings. I ride as though no one can see me, don't execute stupid or provocative maneuvers, yet I don't believe that most cagers have vendettas against bikers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts