Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a solution to the crappy engine covers on the 1700 in particular the Nomad. I could get them replaced for nothing whilst it was under warranty, now that,s over I don't feel like giving Kawasaki more money for a problem they should have fixed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mine look horrible also on my Voyager. I just ride it. I cant see it when I am on the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
364 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to the crappy engine covers on the 1700 in particular the Nomad. I could get them replaced for nothing whilst it was under warranty, now that,s over I don't feel like giving Kawasaki more money for a problem they should have fixed.
I have a 2009 1700 Classic LT and the engine covers and air cleaner cover graphics still look like new!

While it is true that I only put about 8,000 "fair weather" kilometers on my bike per season, I have to ask: "Is everyone else using some sort of abrasive cleaners on their bikes?" ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Rain is how mine got messed up. Road 400 moles in the rain and they have been jacked up ever since then.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Had the same issue so I replaced all of mine with the Vaquero emblems. They go great with my black Nomad and best of all they don't fade.

I know a few owners have just taken the emblems off. IMO they look better than keeping the faded ones on.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
The nomad covers look like a good way to go... yes mine are looking crappy already.... like they are made out of paper....

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Can anyone give me an Idea of how to get the emblems off without scratching the chrome ?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Matt,

Did you get them from an online dealer? Or? I do like the looks of those decals...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Matt,

Did you get them from an online dealer? Or? I do like the looks of those decals...
Yes, I got them from Bikebandit.com but 2wheelpros.com often has the best prices.

It seems the Vaquaro covers are actually mostly painted which is why I think they don't fade like the Nomad/Voyager/Classic cover decals do.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Can anyone give me an Idea of how to get the emblems off without scratching the chrome ?

The way I did it was to take the left and right airbox covers off and soak each one face down into a shallow pan of Goof Off. After a few minutes of soaking I took a heat gun and heated up the inside of the cover behind the emblem. With heat gloves I carefully picked up the cover and with a plastic scraper (you can use a metal one as well but be extra CAREFULL). I worked & pryed the edges of the aluminum emblem loose as far as I could without scraping the metal cover to hard. FYI, This will require bending the emblem/decal in the process so it WILL NOT be able to be used again once off. Then I repeated the process again and again by soaking, heating, and prying it till the emblem eventually came off and the left over adhesive was removed as well.

The shifter emblem was a little trickier. The chrome cover is plastic so I had to use just the scraper and a heat gun. Be very careful with the heat though because it doesn't take much for the plastic chrome to start to warp. I ended up with a few ripples on mine but luckily they are not very noticeable.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The way I did it was to take the left and right airbox covers off and soak each one face down into a shallow pan of Goof Off. After a few minutes of soaking I took a heat gun and heated up the inside of the cover behind the emblem. With heat gloves I carefully picked up the cover and with a plastic scraper (you can use a metal one as well but be extra CAREFULL). I worked & pryed the edges of the aluminum emblem loose as far as I could without scraping the metal cover to hard. FYI, This will require bending the emblem/decal in the process so it WILL NOT be able to be used again once off. Then I repeated the process again and again by soaking, heating, and prying it till the emblem eventually came off and the left over adhesive was removed as well.

The shifter emblem was a little trickier. The chrome cover is plastic so I had to use just the scraper and a heat gun. Be very careful with the heat though because it doesn't take much for the plastic chrome to start to warp. I ended up with a few ripples on mine but luckily they are not very noticeable.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fixed mine tonight.

Used Flitz metal polish, now the center looks like a mirror. It didn't remove the black decal at all, just the yellowish flakey center.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Double J

Got a pic?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Yep... look good.... where you get it? I have been using mothers polish for years on all my brass, chrome, aluminum (it is actually aluminum polish) and other metals. Even use it on my gold belt buckle...

But if I can find some flitz I will try it.... :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Usually the gun stores will carry it or you can order it on-line.
I discovered it years ago during the revolver days.
Remember those 6 dark circles-It would make the front of the cylinder look new again.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Thanks.... I will go get some today and try it...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts