Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Vulcan 1600 -

I was on the way to work this morning, tooling along in the HOV lane at about 70 or so... some... person... decides that HOV rules be damned, he's tired of waiting in traffic and SWERVES SUDDENLY in to the HOV lane ahead of me.... no turn signal, no warning and doing maybe 20mph... I slowed, quickly, dropping from 70mph to 25mph, which really loaded up the front forks and sent the gas in the tank sloshing forward... and then splashing up and out of the (supposedly secure) gas cap and on to my helmet, hi viz vest etc.

Please tell me this isn't normal...

I'm thinking there's a bad gasket? but I'm not seeing anything on the parts fiche as a separate gasket...

I would appreciate your thoughts... and hopefully this kind of idiocy won't repeat itself, but I don't hold out much hope for that with the drivers here in Phoenix.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you're holding out any hope at all for the AZ drivers, you're vastly overestimating them! Or perhaps underestimating their creativity in doing dumb things faster with more energy. When I lived in Scottsdale my wife-at-the-time was an intensive care nurse. She saw so much carnage that had been created in such amazing ways, she put a roll cage in her car, with racing harness. I think she would have worn a helmet and fire suit when driving if she'd thought of it. The event that pushed her over the edge was the old gent who ran over his wife. In the driveway. Twice. She had fallen and he instantly forgot she had been getting in the car. Ran over her in reverse, then pulled forward to see what the heck he'd run over.

As to the gasoline bath, that lid is supposed to be gas-tight -- that's why you have a fuel tank vent down there in the bowels of the beast somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts