Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As no small number of you know by know, I've been battling Hodgkin's lymphoma for just over a year. Today I received my stem-cell reinfusion, and the road to recover beings now.

Just for clarification, I am an autologous stem-cell patient. They harvested my own bone marrow stem-cells about 2 months ago here at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. It was a fairly non-invasive process that only involved a catheter in my jugular called a Merhurker line and a few injections of a colony-stimulator called Neupogen, which forces my bone marrow to become hyper-active. They are then able to collect the stem cells from my peripheral blood through a process called apheresis, which is actually much like dialysis except they're able to collect the stem cells without much collateral damage to hemoglobin or platelet counts as you typically see in dialysis.

Post-collection, I went home to Idaho for 2 more cycles of inductive chemotherapy, and once it looked like it was time to jump, we got our butts back to Phoenix. I then had to undergo a whole week of high-dose chemo which made me as miserable as I have ever been during the whole process. I've only ever had mild nausea and loss of appetite from the last year of chemo, but this stuff just wiped me out.

But I've toughed out that hurdle. And now all I have to do is make it 2 more weeks without catching pneumonia or staph and they'll let me back out into the sunshine and fresh air.

I've talked about this process a time or two and everyone has been really supportive, so thank you all for that. You guys are like my lifeline to my bike, since it'll be a little bit before I can ride again.

You can count on me to be online from time to time, continuing to contribute, and I'll do my best to keep everyone updated. If you wanna chat or whatever, I'm always game.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
As no small number of you know by know, I've been battling Hodgkin's lymphoma for just over a year. Today I received my stem-cell reinfusion, and the road to recover beings now.

Just for clarification, I am an autologous stem-cell patient. They harvested my own bone marrow stem-cells about 2 months ago here at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. It was a fairly non-invasive process that only involved a catheter in my jugular called a Merhurker line and a few injections of a colony-stimulator called Neupogen, which forces my bone marrow to become hyper-active. They are then able to collect the stem cells from my peripheral blood through a process called apheresis, which is actually much like dialysis except they're able to collect the stem cells without much collateral damage to hemoglobin or platelet counts as you typically see in dialysis.

Post-collection, I went home to Idaho for 2 more cycles of inductive chemotherapy, and once it looked like it was time to jump, we got our butts back to Phoenix. I then had to undergo a whole week of high-dose chemo which made me as miserable as I have ever been during the whole process. I've only ever had mild nausea and loss of appetite from the last year of chemo, but this stuff just wiped me out.

But I've toughed out that hurdle. And now all I have to do is make it 2 more weeks without catching pneumonia or staph and they'll let me back out into the sunshine and fresh air.

I've talked about this process a time or two and everyone has been really supportive, so thank you all for that. You guys are like my lifeline to my bike, since it'll be a little bit before I can ride again.

You can count on me to be online from time to time, continuing to contribute, and I'll do my best to keep everyone updated. If you wanna chat or whatever, I'm always game.
Were all pulling for ya Luci.

The medicine we have today is pretty amazing!
Still, they may call a jugular catheter 'non-evasive' but I think it would scare the crud out of me.:eek:

You gotta get back on that Vic and give some updates on how well she takes on high mileage.:)

Ride safe and Rest safe
Scott

1 - 2 of 2 Posts